NBA 2017-2018

MrXMrX CO
edited October 2017 in General
Well that's a shitty way to start the season - Gordon Hayward gruesomely breaks his leg in the first quarter of the first game of the season. And the C's had such high hopes for the season. Everyone at the game looks pretty bummed out now.
swimmythafish

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I was here to say "my body is ready" but then I get this gruesome update.  Ugh. That sucks.
    KingKobra
  • Can we just do the finals now?
  • Now with Boston out. And the Bulls deciding to viciously Attack and hospitalised their own teammates. Let’s just do this. Even MJ agrees the NBA sucks and 28 teams don’t have a chance. 

Warriors vs Spurs
    rockets vs thunder

each series they play 41 games with last game on neutral site if needed (first to 21)

winners of those series then play conference championship play 41 games with last game on neutral site if needed (first to 21)
    winners advance to championship

Same of the east

Cavs play the Celtics
    bucks vs Wizards

41 games last game neutral site if needed (first to 21)

Same Conference championship set up 
    winners advance to championship

warriors/Cavs obvious winners then play a 25 game series (first to 13)

then maybe get some the few kther stars in the league you have a fantasy draft of 20 of the rest of the TOP players snake style so that each team can draft 5 players from other teams. And bench players would actually be good. 
    cdrive
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    You guys are counting out Lavar Ball and co. Just kidding, but can't wait to see what he does to LA
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    All aboard the Dennis Smith Jr train for ROTY! I just hope Rick Carlisle doesn't kill him before he gets a chance to hold the trophy after he plays terrible defense all year.
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    I am more excited for this year than last at least.  This year the Rockets, Thunder, and Celtics at least have better chances to challenge the Cavs and Warriors.  I'm a Lebron guy though and just want to see him get another ring!
  • How often does a player play 3 seasons with a team and gets a video tribute (I know it didn't happen tonight but obviously it's being planned) and everybody is good with it?  And for the record, I think IT deserves it since he gave his heart and soul and embraced Boston and the city embraced him back.  Was just a tough spot to be in and a trade that the Celtics had to make when the opportunity came up.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    @Noel - your mavs hanging tough with the dubz  :#
    oh steph <3
    bizmarkiefader
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Chinaski said:
    oh steph <3
    As soon I saw that Steph had a good look, I knew it was going in. I’m proud of my Mavs for hanging tough.
  • Interesting, watching the end of that Mavs-Warriors game now and at first I'm looking at how Steph got so wide open and thinking how/why the defender was so far back and not up and basically why weren't the Mavs switching on the pick to avoid that exact scenario?  But then I saw the defender is Dirk and thought, well, if he steps up to guard Curry tight, Steph probably just explodes right by him.  So, kind of pick your poison I suppose.  I think I'd still force Steph to make a running shot or pass to a teammate rather than have a wide open look from 3.

Noel
  • Random NBA thoughts 

1)John Wall, best shot blocking PG today? 

2)Which happens first, Lakers win a title or Spurs miss the playoffs? 

3)Chances Bron finishes his career in Cleveland 

4) Does Steve Kerr have similar success on another team?

5) Will a Center ever win MVP?

6) Charles Barkley, NBA commissioner? Nightmarish yes, interesting, absolutely!!!!!
  • @adobo1148,

1) don't have enough knowledge of all of the PGs in the league, so i'll pass on this

2) I'd say Spurs miss the playoffs.  Only caveat is if Lebron comes to LA next year and they get other guys like Paul George and basically create a "super team" there.  But, not sure about Lebron, so for the time being, I'd have to go with the Spurs missing the playoffs option.

3) Could be a trick question as Lebron could leave and then come back again or sign a 1 day contract and retire as a Cav.  But the spirit of your question, I'll say he leaves Cleveland and plays for another team.

4) Have to say no but that's only because of the talent drop off.  He's not coaching a 73 win team again.  Kerr can only go down if he left the Warriors and coached another team.  I'm sure he's a fine enough coach but players/talent can easily make a coach better than what they are.  If both Durant and Kerr went down at the same time and Kerr only had to rely on Klay and Draymond, then let's see what he can do.  I personally look at guys like Popovich or Stevens and see what they can get out of random players as oppose to having superstar talent and getting them to play with each other as a team (which, don't get me wrong, that still takes a lot of skill).

5) I say yes.  Especially when you got guys like Embid or Porzingis.  Just needs to be able to play some D and be capable of shooting the long ball. 

6) Barkley as pretty much anything is always going to be interesting, :).

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    adobo1148 said:
    Random NBA thoughts 

Obviously without the level of talent the Warriors have it's hard to take a team to the best record of all time in the same way, but to his credit the Warriors only turned into this juggernaut after ditching Jackson and bringing Kerr in. The difference in the team was instant and massive. They play so well and so selflessly and move the ball around so much as a team, a ton of that is Kerr's offense and the way he manages his players. I think he was also huge in avoiding potential Curry/Durant drama (Curry's personality obviously makes that a lot easier)
    Chinaski
    adobo1148 said:
    Random NBA thoughts 

Obviously without the level of talent the Warriors have it's hard to take a team to the best record of all time in the same way, but to his credit the Warriors only turned into this juggernaut after ditching Jackson and bringing Kerr in. The difference in the team was instant and massive. They play so well and so selflessly and move the ball around so much as a team, a ton of that is Kerr's offense and the way he manages his players. I think he was also huge in avoiding potential Curry/Durant drama (Curry's personality obviously makes that a lot easier)
    and he was coached by some of the best ever, lute, phil and pop. his style is almost like a hybrid of the 3. he also has broadcasting and front office experience which i feel is great experience to have for a coach.

@adobo1148

1)John Wall, best shot blocking PG today? 
    The past few years, definitely. But this year? Gotta go with Ben Simmons.

2)Which happens first, Lakers win a title or Spurs miss the playoffs? 
    Spurs miss the playoffs.  

3)Chances Bron finishes his career in Cleveland 
    0%

No. Very successful but not taking the 'ship twice.  There is a lot of luck with how Golden State came together.  No one expected Curry to elevate his game to being a MVP level player.  Draymond...2nd round 35th pick?  Dude is possibly the most important guy on the team and is their best playmaker and best defense guy.  Klay Thompson...nobody expected Color Me Bad to be an All Star level player.  And the way their salaries were a few years ago was why they were able to latch on an Iggy or make KD work.  I think it's more Bob Myers success story than Kerr's.

5) Will a Center ever win MVP?

I think you mean will a center ever win MVP again, right?  Probably not.  I think advanced metrics / moneyball killed post play and iso w/ big men.  It's a fast paced, high scoring, guard-centric game of 3s and dunks now.  No more throwing it into the big man and letting him go to work.  And the officiating is so different now.  You'll never see a big Shaq like guy just bully people around the basket again without fouling out quickly every game.  

6) Charles Barkley, NBA commissioner? Nightmarish yes, interesting, absolutely!!!!!

Aww you don't like Slugworth? 

• NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    To the center question: I think maybe someone like Joel Embiid could have a shot because his raw talent is off the charts. But 1. He would have to play for a full season and 2. Have that same season be where Simmons misses a big chunk of the games to further boost his stats.
    Chinaski said:
    adobo1148 said:
    Random NBA thoughts 

and he was coached by some of the best ever, lute, phil and pop. his style is almost like a hybrid of the 3. he also has broadcasting and front office experience which i feel is great experience to have for a coach.
    That's true that he's been coached by some of the best.  But also I think Mike D'Antoni has his finger prints all over Kerr's style.  Kerr was President of Basketball Ops for the Suns during D'Antoni's "Seven Seconds or Less" era, with Alvin Gentry as assistant coach.  When Kerr took the job, he grabbed Gentry as his assistant coach.  When they won Gentry said "Tell Mike D'Antoni he's vindicated! We just kicked everyone's ass playing the way everybody complained about!" And Kerr said -  
    "There aren't many innovators in coaching," Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr told Business Insider. "There's usually a few key figures who change the way everybody else thinks ... I think what makes Mike unique is he is one of those innovators."

It's going to be a fun one tonight. D'Antoni vs Kerr, Rockets vs Warriors.  Both playing the 2nd night of a back to back.  Too bad Harden and KD are out.  Some might think that evens things out...I mean...it does a little, but Warriors are just staaaaaaacked.  Still have Curry Klay Draymond...Iggy is back....and how the hell did Jordan Bell fall into the dub's lap!?!?!?  I mean come the fuck on!  

Chinaski
    @cdrive - yeah dude, it should be a fun one. i'm actually leaving work early to catch tipoff
    cdrive
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    cdrive said:

No. Very successful but not taking the 'ship twice.  There is a lot of luck with how Golden State came together.  No one expected Curry to elevate his game to being a MVP level player.  Draymond...2nd round 35th pick?  Dude is possibly the most important guy on the team and is their best playmaker and best defense guy.  Klay Thompson...nobody expected Color Me Bad to be an All Star level player.  And the way their salaries were a few years ago was why they were able to latch on an Iggy or make KD work.  I think it's more Bob Myers success story than Kerr's.

As a very casual Michigan State fan I'm on record to my friend when we were watching the draft that Draymond was going to be awesome and I couldn't believe he made it that far. My proudest basketball prediction. It's hard to say all the good scouting is luck but obviously it's a component and it's swung their way far more than it's bit them.

Another huge one: Steph's soggy waffle ankles early on in his career let them give him that 4 year at something like 9 mil a year contract he was on during their ascension, right as he was turning into a big star. There was a time when people were having the serious conversation about whether Warriors should get rid of Steph and keep Monta Ellis to pair with Klay because Steph and Klay's skillset were too similar. This could have gone so many different ways.
    Chinaskicdrive
    edited January 5
    right? and to who said 'I personally look at guys like Popovich or Stevens and see what they can get out of random players'.. over the last 3 years that bench was players that exceeded their ability. festus, bogut, barbosa, speights, rush, clark, mcgee, west.

as for the game tonight. shows how much HOU needs harden to NKOTB and hang tough

edit:  quoting formatted everything funky so had to delete
  • Chinaski said:
    right? and to who said 'I personally look at guys like Popovich or Stevens and see what they can get out of random players'.. over the last 3 years that bench was players that exceeded their ability. festus, bogut, barbosa, speights, rush, clark, mcgee, west.

I'm not sure I can give all that credit to Kerr though.  Those guys are still playing with Steph, Klay, Durant, Draymond though.  The opposing coaching staff isn't game planning to stopping those guys entirely.  And also, some of the players you list, were solid/good players already.  So I don't think saying David West exceeded his ability is accurate.  David West was a good player for awhile.  He's just older now but there will still be times when he can turn back the clock and play really well.  Same for others.  And Bogut was a starter, not a bench player.  I think for guys like Festus, he's more of a product of being around their great players.

Basically, go look at the Spurs roster and take away Kawhi and you're honestly going to tell me that Kerr is getting the same results that Popovich gets?  Look at the Celtics roster when Stevens first started and some of the players he's had and how he was able to maximize their talent.  I really think Stevens made Jae Crowder into the player he turned out to be.  Stevens saw Isaiah Thomas's skill and unleashed it into a legit MVP candidate last year.  Hell, Stevens got Jordan Crawford to win Eastern Conference Player of the Week. 

I'm not saying Kerr is a bad coach.  But I'd like to see how successful Kerr would have been if he would have taken the Knicks job (and I think on the Bill Simmons podcast, Kerr kind of admitted that he wouldn't have been as successful as he has been with Golden State).  I'll give all the credit to Kerr in the world for making the Warriors play like they have and as a team, but when the deck is stacked in your favor to add a guy like Durant, I just can't give the same credit to Kerr that I would give to other coaches for taking a far less talented roster and truly maximizing the roster.   

warriors and rockets as we speak. Jackson and Van Gundy 'agreeing to disagree' is getting really annoying. funny they're former head coaches of the teams playing
    cdrive
    oof! erased a 17 pt deficit. game is getting fun!
    cdrive
    fun game! hope this is the WC finals
    cdrive
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I can't really bring myself to pay attention to NBA until after the all-star break. Why is the season so damn long?
  • It looks like Harden’s step back 3, AKA The Step Daddy, is back to 2016 form. Step back 3s are so hard to make and his consistency on that shot is the most impressive part of his game to me.
    cdrive
    Great game! I was making fancy manhattans last night for folks who came over to watch.  The Harden 3 followed by his block had the living room lit and hi-fives flying. Getting 2 out 3 Ws secures the tiebreaker if the Rockets can catch up and tie the Dubs, so a much more significant game.  Honestly I was expecting a loss.  With no Ariza I was ready from KD to go into destroy mode.  Hopefully this will be the WCF.   
  • Houston and GSW would be the best WCF, but I don't have much faith that Chris Paul can make it. He always seems to break down physically before then.  
  • Definitely a game that Houston had to win and a very good win without Ariza.  My problem with Houston's style is their reliance on making 3s.  It just seems like if 3s aren't dropping, they're totally screwed.  You could make the case for the same thing for the Warriors but I think they a) have better shooters (Curry, Durant, Klay) and b) a guy like Durant is just deadly from anywhere and can easily dominate a game without having to make 3s.