707 - "Valerie Solanas Died for Your Sins: Scumbag"

Director: Rachel Goldberg
Writer: Crystal Liu

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Oh boy, the one with Lena Dunham. Let me see if I can contain my excitement.
    alina_mac
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Frances Conroy savin' shit 
    Michellealina_mac
  • Interesting, although that ending had me disappointed. I thought they played the backstory a tad too long, but did like the back half with "our" characters. 
    alina_macElisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    "I'm Beverly mutha fuckin' Hope, and you're gonna wanna get the hell out of my way."
    TravisElisaMartinT
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    The final reveal of Frances Conroy and Kai being in cahoots shows that the Valerie story that takes up most of the episode is quite possibly a total fabrication. I had an inkling early on that she was lying because we've already seen the Zodiac killer on AHS, having Devil's Night dinner with Mr. March at the Hotel Cortez, while also being dead. Great callback. 
    KingKobraalina_macTravisElisa
    As much as some people were dreading seeing Lena Dunham in this episode (she's not been a favorite of mine either), I think she turned in a pretty good performance.  

Damn, it creeped me out to see Kai's parents' corpses lying in the bed, and the discolored/rotten bed linens.  
    Jamie91Elisa
  • Jamie91Jamie91 Pennsylvania
    Sigh. I am curious to see how this all pans out in the end. Murphy said this episode is about female rage--this is certainly not an understatement. And yet, does anyone else feel like the feminist themes this season have been handled clumsily? I think I'm trying to understand Murphy and co.'s aim here. For a show that undoubtedly caters to a more liberal audience, I find it interesting that they chose to spend an entire episode dealing with misandry--the hatred of men. I don't know, but between the new battle of the sexes and half of the shit that is coming out of everyone's mouth, I found myself SO enraged by this episode. But, is that the point?  Are the showrunners trying to explain the disconnect in American culture between men and women? Did this contribute to the election results?

Another interesting tidbit: the show's Twitter page tweeted a still of Ivy sawing Harrison's neck with the words "Your privilege has run out, Harrison."UGH. Harrison was a first-class asshole who deserved to die horribly, but what they said to him about being a gay man and "he more than anybody should know what it is like to be marginalized" is bullshit. And it's so frustrating how people think privilege is something you have or don't. It is a spectrum; it is so much more complicated. Personally, as a white gay male, I enjoy a significant amount of privilege. But there are aspects of society that heterosexual women and heterosexual people of color can enjoy before me. And in turn, there are many things I don't have to think about because I am a white male. UGH. I just think the identity politics this season are SO frustrating. And that's not why I've always loved Horror Story and have come back each year to Horror Story. I think this week was weird for me because certain scenes were so pathetic. Those two little twinky gay boys in the flashback getting off on being called turd and worthless?. No, thanks.

P.S. Ally is still the only one I care about.
    alina_macElisajanepatrickmarch
  • alina_macalina_mac Akron, Ohio
    edited October 2017
    A.) I loved Evan Peters as Warhol. B.) I loved the "Guest Starring Francis Conroy" reveal right when she starts talking and pulls down her hood. Heck yeah. C.) I liked the visual references to Project Mayhem/ Fight Club.

Other than that.... still ruminating.

Jamie91cdriveElisa
    Agree with all and I forgot to mention in my previous post, so nice to see Jamie Brewster back!  We haven't seen her since Coven, if memory serves.  
    Elisahisdudeness915
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited October 2017
    Regarding the identity politics, I have nothing but the feeling that the show has left me with to support it but I feel like the overall point that is being driven out is actually what @Jamie91 is saying. Basically it's about the dangers of extremity and losing all nuance. There are no really supportable characters because they're all extremists, including Ally. Maybe Ally hasn't done anything bad, but she is impossible (for me at least) to sympathize with because she is a complete caricature. I've only just finished Roanoke the other day and I've only watched a few episodes of a couple of other seasons so maybe I don't have the same understanding of Murphy's overall perspective, but I feel like he is railing against the fact that so much of what surrounds us is completely devoid of nuance. People taking their talking points and not considering other perspectives, and the inherent dangers of that attitude. The problems of people living in completely different worlds surrounding each other (Dan Carlin did a really good episode about this a while back). This isn't me devaluing things like privilege in any way, I would never deny that privilege is a real and huge problem, but like @Jamie91 said, it's a nuanced problem. I think that is what Murphy is saying though through these characters. It's all become too much about sides and not about finding ways to solve problems and live together.

That said, I thought this episode was interesting. I didn't love the experience of watching it, but interesting. With the reveal at the end I am very curious about where they're heading.  
    MichelleA_Ron_HubbardElisaJamie91
    alina_mac said:
    A.) I loved Evan Peters as Warhol. B.) I loved the "Guest Starring Francis Conroy" reveal right when she starts talking and pulls down her hood. Heck yeah. C.) I liked the visual references to Project Mayhem/ Fight Club.

Other than that.... still ruminating.

YAS!

My new and revised "who played Andy best" list after last night:

#1 David Bowie
    #2 Evan Peters
    #3 Jared Harris
    #4 Crispin Glover

Michelle
  • Oh my god. This episode was awful. 
    Totally agree with you @Jamie91
    ElisaJamie91
  • It's funny I was tryin not to be offended by the male bashing but it was pretty rough lol I like Lena Dunham but i feel like she didn't come across as real like she was reading from cue cards at times if that makes sense...also I have a theory..there will be a time jump and Kai is going to end up being president..he's  going to press the button and destroy everything...while Ally has been locked away in an insane asylum trying to convince them Kai is the bad guy..FIN
  • Did they really say in the episode that Valerie Solanas killed Warhol, or did I mishear that? Yes, she shot him, but he didn't die and went on to live another 20 years  almost...I know I heard A Ron talk about her being his "murderer" a couple podcasts ago too. Wtf? Why does everyone think she killed him? All it takes is a quick google/wikipedia search. It's not like he wasn't one of the most famous/renown artists of the latter half of the 20th century or anything.
    Elisaakritenbrink
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I don't watch this show, but I am curious to hear from anyone who knows about Valerie Solanas outside of this context, and her wikipedia article, lol, and how she was portrayed on this show. When I heard about it, it kind of peaked my interest because I can't imagine how to fit her into a contemporary show, and with Lena Dunham playing her even more so. I could just watch it myself, I suppose, but I don't like Ryan Murphy or horror, and I have never watched the show so I am not sure I would get it.
  • If she’s anything like she was portrayed in the show then she’s a real Wakadoodie 
  • I actually kind of liked this episode.  I'm pretty sure Beebee was lying about everything, but I think it's neat the way the writers twisted things to make Valerie Solanas' group the ones actually responsible for the Zodiac killings.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    gguenot said:
    If she’s anything like she was portrayed in the show then she’s a real Wakadoodie 
    She was. She was mentally ill. But sometimes she's portrayed as if she had some real place in the feminist movement and used as an example of a "man hating feminist" or whatever as if that was a legitimate arm of the feminist movement. 
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited October 2017
    Well, I have heard the most disturbing thing on this podcast yet. Someone told Cecily not to watch Zodiac because it sucked. 

@Cecily ; if you have any interest in true crime, and I think you, Zodiac is up there with Silence of the Lambs as one of the finest crime films ever made. I know some people don't like David Fincher, I actually don't really love his first couple films, but Zodiac is a masterpiece. 
    gguenotKingKobrajanepatrickmarch
  • aberry89 said:
    Well, I have heard the most disturbing thing on this podcast yet. Someone told Cecily not to watch Zodiac because it sucked. 

Cecily, if you have any interest in true crime, and I think you, Zodiac is up there with Silence of the Lambs as one of the finest crime films ever made. I know some people don't like David Fincher, I actually don't really love his first couple films, but Zodiac is a masterpiece. 
    I have to second this. I was surprised when she said that
    janepatrickmarch
  • gguenot said:
    aberry89 said:

Cecily, if you have any interest in true crime, and I think you, Zodiac is up there with Silence of the Lambs as one of the finest crime films ever made. I know some people don't like David Fincher, I actually don't really love his first couple films, but Zodiac is a masterpiece. 
    I have to second this. I was surprised when she said that
    Third this (thought the same thing when I heard it said). @Cecily
    gguenotjanepatrickmarch
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    gguenot said:
    If she’s anything like she was portrayed in the show then she’s a real Wakadoodie 
    She was. She was mentally ill. But sometimes she's portrayed as if she had some real place in the feminist movement and used as an example of a "man hating feminist" or whatever as if that was a legitimate arm of the feminist movement. 

I would say no, they don't try to make Valerie Solanis out to be a feminist hero or icon. Having said that, this entire season is populated solely on radical, worst case stereotypes of both conservatives and liberals so that doesn't mean as much as you might think not having watched the season, haha. I thought Lena was great at portraying a scorn worthy screeching psychotic harpy, which is how she is often described as without irony. 
    alina_macMichelleakritenbrink
  • aberry89 said:

@Cecily ; if you have any interest in true crime, and I think you, Zodiac is up there with Silence of the Lambs as one of the finest crime films ever made. I know some people don't like David Fincher, I actually don't really love his first couple films, but Zodiac is a masterpiece. 
    I was thinking the same thing!!! It's such a fantastic film, I've seen it three times.