What's your game of the year thus far in 2017?

My vote is still Breath of The Wild

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I'm not sure if it is the best game, but the one I've played the most of is Destiny 2. 
  • It's gotta be Battlegrounds for me, ignoring the early access stuff cause what does that even mean anymore. The intensity of the end of a round if you make it to the top 10 or so is something else, the first few times I got up there I was actually shaking. I've also spent more time playing Battlegrounds with my brother than anything else we've done together, so personally it's been pretty great even though hes way better than me.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Breath of the Wild is number for me, hands down. It's damn near perfect for me. The beautiful environment, the fun combat, the whole "open worldness" of it all was magical. I spent about 150 hours in Hyrule this year and I already want to go back.

Horizon Zero Dawn is a fairly close second for me. I feel like it was so overshadowed by BotW being released a week later but damn, it's a fantastic game in its own right. I can't wait for the DLC on that one. Fighting robot dinosaurs has never felt better.
    Shum
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Breath of the Wild
  • Breath of the Wild.

Mario Odyssey might be it, though. We'll see later this week!

Other honorable mention is Horizon: Zero Dawn. I think it's a masterclass in storytelling through videogames and has fun gameplay.
    Murderbear
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited October 2017
    If we’re just counting games I’ve actually played this year: BoTW. Runner up being Cuphead although I lack a platform to play that on. I’m fairly confident this will change in a few months though. 
  • Horizon Zero Dawn, hands down. Really looking forward for the DLC.
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited October 2017
    Breath of the Wild is amazing, but Divinity:Original Sin II might edge it out for me

Edit: if Subnautica gets a full release this year, hands down best for me
  • Clash Royale :)

As far as new games go, probably Horizon Zero Dawn 

(scrolls up and sees everyone else mentioning HZD lol)

I haven't invested in a Switch yet, and haven't played BoTW.

I recently ran through Darks Souls 3 again, and if we count "The Ringed City" as a new game, that's probably up there as game of the year.
    DaveyMac
  • Horizon Zero Dawn.  Phenomenal.  

I just started Breath of the Wild, but I haven't had much time to dive in.  
  • Persona 5. Hands down. 
    darwinfeeshy
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    AAA title: Breath of the Wild

Indie: Golf Story (Nintendo Switch)-probably the best 15 bucks I've ever spent on a game
    Murderbear
  • Breadth of the wild for sure.

just picked up Super Mario odyssey. Local game store broke release date. Can’t wait to get off work and get down with my 6 year old Son. Didn’t know it was 2 players. Which is sweet.
    FreddydarwinfeeshyMurderbear
  • edited October 2017
    Without a doubt, I gotta say Yakuza 0. If any of you have a PS4 I recommend you guys demo it at least to see if it floats your boat. 

I don't have a Switch so I haven't played Breath of the Wild yet. 
    darwinfeeshy
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I'm getting some serious FOMO from all this new Zelda talk.... 

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    cdrive said:

I bought a used WiiU just for this game. Worth it.
    cdrivedarwinfeeshy
  • cdrive said:

The Switch is really starting to enter need to own territory if you're into video games. Between Zelda, Mario Kart if you never had a Wii U, Mario, and all the awesome indie games on a portable console Nintendo is absolutely killing it.
    darwinfeeshyDeecdrive
  • edited October 2017
    cdrive said:

The Switch is really starting to enter need to own territory if you're into video games. Between Zelda, Mario Kart if you never had a Wii U, Mario, and all the awesome indie games on a portable console Nintendo is absolutely killing it.
    Yeah, the Switch has finally reached the point where non-hardcore Nintendo fans should pick it up.

The Switch has:
    • Breath of the Wild
    • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    • 1-2 Switch (the WiiSports of the Switch, great party game)
    • Mario Odyssey
    And this doesn't include future titles that are bound to be released in the coming years, such as Smash Bros, Metroid Prime 4, Skyrim, etc. Not to mention all of the great indies like Snipperclips. Also, Virtual Console hasn't launched yet, but on the Switch it will include Gamecube games that you can play on the go!

Now that in-store stock is starting to catch up with demand, I would seriously recommend that anyone who's on the fence to pick up a Switch this holiday season. I think there's gonna be a Switch+Mario Odyssey bundle this year, too.
    DaveyMaccdrivebizmarkiefader
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited October 2017
    I don’t have a Switch, so haven’t played Breath of the Wild. Though between that Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart, I may have to see about getting a Switch at some point.

I’ve actually played very few games that were released this year due to me catching up on older games.

The only two 2017 games I’ve played this year I think, are Hollow Knight and Nier Automata. Both are great.

Nier Automata’s approach to story is really interesting and the game only gets better on subsequent playthroughs as the story and characters keep expanding and changing. The third play-through has really surprised me a few times and it’s really thematically interesting and actually kind of heartbreaking. It’s also one of the few games I’ve played where fetch quests are actually interesting and add to the world building.

Also adding to an earlier comment I would throw The Ringed City in as well were not just DLC. Many disagree, but I thought it was a great send off to the Souls series.
    darwinfeeshy
  • edited November 2017
    Mario Odyssey: 10/10 GOTY

• Amazing Mario platforming
    • The enemy-capture mechanic is fun and they do some really clever things with it (entire sections of levels are built around using enemy powers)
    • There are so many damn collectables (800+ moons, but you only need 186 to finish the story, plus 100 special coins per world that you use to buy special outfits & decorations for your ship)
    • The different worlds are very unique.
    • The outfits are fun.
    • There's some great boss design (an area where BotW was lacking)
    • The music is great (another area where BotW was lacking)

Also, once you beat the game it really opens up. There are tons of new moons to get, new areas to unlock, extra-difficult variations of boss battles, and there's an IN GAME ACHIEVEMENT SYSTEM.

This game is pure joy.