Episode 608 - Dark as a Dungeon

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director: Gwyneth Horder-Payton
Writer: Chris Provenzano & VJ Boyd

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    What's going in with Mikey? He's in danger of forming a personality.
  • ajknickajknick Madison WI
    What, did I interrupt a goat sacrifice? ... You wanted to get shot in the front you should've run toward me.
    Wynn is SOOO the rat
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I don't get the end at all. I need to process all that.
    Much like Dickie Bennett, an Arlo Givens sighting is so enjoyable I don't even need to get the point. shee-it.
    Jovial_FalconTravis
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited March 2015

Boyd Crowder knows Mike Ehrmantraut's wisdom, "Baby, you know me. I have never done anything half-measure in all my life."

A_Ron_HubbardTravis
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited March 2015
    What a lot to unpack.  Glad to see Winona's visit lit a fire under Raylan to wrap things up.  What a great scene with Arlo.  It would have been better if that shed had existed before this episode, but Timothy Olyphant sold its importance to Raylan.  Maybe Raylan has finally resolved his Arlo issues and can move on.

So many great lines and references:

"You shot me in the back!"
    "If you wanted me to shoot you in the front, you should have run towards me."

"You're a good lawyer.  All the good ones have ponytails."

"The past is a statement.  The future is a question."
    "The past and the future are a fight to the death."

Deadwood shout out:  "Harlan.  Hell of a place to make your fortune."

Heat reference: "Don't see you pulling thrillseeker holdups with a Born To Lose tattoo on your chest."

I hope they wrap up the snitch subplot soon.  It gives Art something to do, and makes a nice if unnecessary parallel to Boyd and Ava, but I don't care, even if it is Wynn Duffy.  
    hypergenesbAmeliaOriginal_JosephTravis
  • This is probably my least favorite episode of the season - it's not bad, but moving the pieces around is starting to drag on me.  Yes, there were a lot of good individual scenes, but basically, we already knew that Boyd can't resist the big time and Raylan's a Machiavellian asshole.

- So unless Hale is involved in some unbelievably complicated plan (or she edited the file somehow), giving Duffy's file to Art pretty much rules out her being the snitch.

- I did like the scene with Boyd and Raylan outside of the vault.  Boyd knows Raylan is setting him up, and Raylan knows he knows it, but, you know . . . $10 million!

- It was nice to see Ava being willing to run with Boyd.   On the other hand, Boyd is burning all his bridges.  I think Ava realizes that even in a new town with $10 million, Boyd is never going to be able to quit, and Carl was pretty upset about Boyd writing off the Pig so easily.   My guess is that Carl breaks when Boyd is ready to sacrifice Earl.
    Travis
  • I tend to like the funnier quotes in general, but my quote of the week this time was Boyd's (to Raylan): "Well, don't eulogize the past til the future gets its turn." I just liked the ring of it.

I also wasn't quite as high on this one. I liked it, I'm not mad at it or anything. It was a collection of good scenes and there was a lot of great writing, and I get the point of the whole thing but even though some things were advanced it felt a little unnecessary. Thinking back on the show as a whole, I think they give us one or two of these in the middle every season (I could be wrong, but that seems to be my memory). Kind of untrimmed fat. At any rate, if this is the season's low point I'll take it. It was still a very good way to spend an hour.

I was actually amused by Mikey's chattiness. It was a fun little throw in, especially in the way it was quickly squashed by the sort of "what the fuck are you doing?" looks from Wynn and Catherine. Not much else to say about it really, but I kind of liked it. Think of being that guy and you're around these people all the time. I could see slipping up into a more congenial mode.

I can't figure Ava out (which I can't tell if I like or don't like at this point since we have so much information on the subject). Did anyone else leave the scene where she gives Raylan the info thinking that she gave him the wrong mine? That is what I was thinking when he said that she was burned, but of the coverage that I heard no one else came to this conclusion and even though I just felt like it must be what was happening I do realize that it we as the audience don't know enough about the names of the mines to make it an easy catch, and they would probably want to make Ava clearly making the choice to deceive Raylan clearer than that. For that reason, and since I haven't seen anything else about it I'm sure that I am wrong, but I was pretty certain of it when I watched it.

Anyways, I see what they wanted to do here. It was a Raylan growth episode above all else and it was a good watch, and stuff like that is important (I suppose), but I hope we get back to business next week.

• JerryBJerryB MetroWest Boston
    Comment on the Feedback section of the podcast for this episode:
    I think "the Seal sniper who had a 255 kill count" Chooch referrers to is supposed to be the real Chris Kyle.

Kyle has been in a hot topic lately with the trial of his killer and the success of the 'American Sniper' film recently released and Oscar buzzed.

If this is the case, I  wonder about the writer's process to put something in that is so topical.  When was this line written and how long has the show been in the can?  Judging by BrBa insider 'cast it could be 6 months.
    TravisOriginal_Josephpavlovsbell
  • Re: Art and Hale - I had to rewatch this scene several times, and ended up deciding that they probably didn't have sex. But he does appear to walk in the same direction as Kathrine after she has unzipped her skirt. Ultimately, they left this ambiguous and I'm not entirely sure why they did. 
    Travis
  • JerryBJerryB MetroWest Boston
    JerryB said:

Comment on the Feedback section of the podcast for this episode:

I think "the Seal sniper who had a 255 kill count" Chooch referrers to is supposed to be the real Chris Kyle.

Kyle has been in a hot topic lately with the trial of his killer and the success of the 'American Sniper' film recently released and Oscar buzzed.

If this is the case, I  wonder about the writer's process to put something in that is so topical.  When was this line written and how long has the show been in the can?  Judging by BrBa insider 'cast it could be 6 months.
    Amendment:  Wiki says Kyle has 160 confirmed kills, which doesn't support my guess.
  • Re: Art and Hale - I had to rewatch this scene several times, and ended up deciding that they probably didn't have sex. But he does appear to walk in the same direction as Kathrine after she has unzipped her skirt. Ultimately, they left this ambiguous and I'm not entirely sure why they did. 

The thought of them having sex never crossed my mind for a second, honestly. I thought that was just a standard reaction shot showing. I kind of had the thought that A.Ron put forth towards the end of the podcast, that it was a move meant to kind of minimize Art as someone who was being disregarded. She was truly done with Art and the conversation and it was as if he was no longer there despite not having left yet. I took the shot of Art as kind of being slightly awed at her boldness, but nothing more than that. I didn't think for a second that there was a possibility that they had sex.
    Amelia
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @JerryB  I agree, I think Choo Choo was referring to Chris Kyle.  Kyle claimed 255 kills, but the official confirmed count is 160.
    JerryB
  • @Travis
    Man, I think we have similar minds when it comes to this show; I always agree with pretty much everything you post. I thought this was a great episode, but not my favorite of the season so far. Episodes like 'The Hunt' and 'The Trash and the Snake' were better. Can't quite put my finger on why, maybe they were more focused or organized? Maybe because it was the most Raylan focused episode yet, and sadly, his storyline has kinda been the weakest this season. However, I'm sure it's going to pick up from here on out. But nonetheless, this episode was a worthwhile installment, and any episode with a Raylan/Boyd scene is a winner in my book.
    I was a bit surprised at how they killed off Ty Walker though, much like Choo Choo. They seemed like such promising badass foes. So much so that I feel Walker could have been a big bad alone in another season.
    And yes, Ava is confusing me as well. I didn't entirely understand that last scene between them. Is she once again not sure who to side with? I'm pretty sure she gave Raylan the name of the mine Boyd is fixing to rob, because the henchman who was babysitting Ava said it a couple weeks back. And I think Boyd just screwed himself over, he should have just taken that 100k and ran, that's more than enough. So Ava probably would be wise to get away from him.
    Mikey has had some great lines this season! Nothing will ever top Aplex, but this episode had some great ones.
    This Markham/Hale/Marhsals snitch storyline has to pay off spectacularly I feel, it's being pressed so much.
    Final note: We're really getting toward the endgame with 5 episodes left, it's gotta be just insane from now on. Like everyone else, can't figure out who's going to die and who's going to live.
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    edited April 2015
    Choo Choo was on Jay/jacks charity live show the other night. Such a lovely guy, who was amazed he got the job.