303 - eps3.2_legacy.so

Written and directed by SAM ESMAIL!
KingKobraElisa

Comments

• You should just start making up the writer and director for Mr. Robot episodes at this point, This week’s episode written by Scott Gimple! 
  • edited October 2017
    That interrogation scene was inconceivable!

I can't remember if I liked or disliked it when Esmail did this stuff last year.  The ol' answer questions and show pieces that nobody asked for.  Great music and performances make the trip worth it, but when Elliot and Angela are away, it doesn't really do anything for me.
    Doctor_NickMrX
  • I really liked this episode seeing Tyrell's side of the story. We also got a deeper look into just how integrated Dark Army was into the plan. So far this season is moving at a much better pace and seems to be more coherent than S2. 
    ElisaDani
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited October 2017

I've said this for every episode so far, but that was great.

Side note, is it just me or does bearded Tyrell look like Peter Forsberg?

Edit: It occurred to me that people might not know who Forsberg is - he's a retired hockey player from Sweden (who played in the NHL - mostly for Colorado).

bizmarkiefaderElisaGredalBee
  • StoodawgStoodawg Kalamazoo, MI
    I found it a bit of hoarseshit when that cop "recognised" Tyrell. An average looking white guy wearing bumfuck clothes in bumfuck nowhere walking a hundred yards away and he thinks "hey, that's the most wanted man in America!" He obviously had more than just a hunch cuz he turned his lights on and went blazing after him right away. In real life he wouldn't have given him a second look. He would've had to stop and talk to him or something before his radar even went off. I liked the episode though, even with practically no Elliot. 
    Elisa
  • They explained the FBI incompetence by lampshading some of the weird plot points from Season 2.  "Why was there a shootout in China?  Who the hell knows?  Doesn't look good that I missed it, though." 
  • Sam Esmail, I forgive you for the disappointment that was Season 2. 
  • Stoodawg said:
    I found it a bit of hoarseshit when that cop "recognised" Tyrell. An average looking white guy wearing bumfuck clothes in bumfuck nowhere walking a hundred yards away and he thinks "hey, that's the most wanted man in America!" He obviously had more than just a hunch cuz he turned his lights on and went blazing after him right away. In real life he wouldn't have given him a second look. He would've had to stop and talk to him or something before his radar even went off. I liked the episode though, even with practically no Elliot. 
    Ehh, he was one of the most wanted men for one of the worst financial disasters ever. I'm sure many folks who looked like him got wrapped up. This type of thing happens every day so it doesn't surprise me. It also doesn't help that Tyrell was acting suspiciously (staring at cop). Then when he ran, well what's that old saying, why are you running if you didn't do anything....
    Elisa

• Isnt Swedish fish commonly known as Lutefisk? I can still remember the opening music to M.A.S.K. I know i had at least one of the action figures. 
    Doctor_Nick
  • edited October 2017
    They are still on season 2 damage control, which I liked more than I thought I would although it's a technical debt from before which needs to be worked off. Almost all key player now know about Elliots condition, it will be interesting to see if he can use it to his advantage to pretend he is Mr. Robot and vice versa. At least now it's clear for the viewer what's real and what isn't. Sort of.

Doctor_NickElisa
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited October 2017
    A Tyrell episode that’s actually good? Now that’s inconceivable, but somehow true. Pretty solid string of episodes to start off this season. 
    Elisa
  • Forget the Russians, White Rose got Trump elected  :'(
    KingKobraElisa
  • Somehow more believable than real life. 
    Elisa
  • adobo1148 said:
    Forget the Russians, White Rose got Trump elected  :'(
    Good opportunity for a chaos is a ladder speech, I think White Rose should have savioured that moment a little more. Maybe a goodby horses dance should have been in order ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db4Nds4BOVo

• I like Leon with the very timely "it's fun killing Nazi's speech" and Irving is like "uh ... ok."

Irving is a good scene partner for Tyrell. A Tyrell-centric episode could have been tedious, but Cannavale definitely kept things entertaining.

Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Thoroughly enjoyed the Tyrell specific episode and getting deep into the machinations of the Dark Army. 
  • edited October 2017
    Overall that was enjoyable, but holy hell did it get silly. The whole Zhang scene was just cringeworthy beyond belief. I'm starting to think that Esmail actually has the political sensibilities of a college freshman on a bad acid trip.
    Doctor_NickElisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Overall that was enjoyable, but holy hell did it get silly. The whole Zhang scene was just cringeworthy beyond belief. I'm starting to think that Esmail actually has the political sensibilities of a college freshman on a bad acid trip.
    That's always been a problem.  You know, TOTTDAB, and all that.  But, it's also consistent with the show's narrative viewpoint.  Price outright called Obama a puppet in previous seasons, and a legacy of drone strikes and illegal NSA surveillance was (rightfully so) laid at his feet.  Of course Trump is going to get hit.  Of course Zhang would pounce on the idea of a crazy chaos candidate, look at who he chooses to work with. The idea that Trump is a puppet of a foreign power is already a real life narrative, which may even be true.
    KingKobraElisa
  • Overall that was enjoyable, but holy hell did it get silly. The whole Zhang scene was just cringeworthy beyond belief. I'm starting to think that Esmail actually has the political sensibilities of a college freshman on a bad acid trip.
    That's always been a problem.  You know, TOTTDAB, and all that.  But, it's also consistent with the show's narrative viewpoint.  Price outright called Obama a puppet in previous seasons, and a legacy of drone strikes and illegal NSA surveillance was (rightfully so) laid at his feet.  Of course Trump is going to get hit.  Of course Zhang would pounce on the idea of a crazy chaos candidate, look at who he chooses to work with. The idea that Trump is a puppet of a foreign power is already a real life narrative, which may even be true.

A lot of dorm room philosophizing people make fun of so often is proving out to have some points if you look at what's going on around us. Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss people's initial reaction to finding out how fucking awful parts of the power structure are and how society is run a lot of the time. Mr Robot is still way out there but it feels less silly in 2017 than it did in 2015. That said, I think the White Rose/Trump thing is dumb and lets us off the hook for how American Trump really is, backed by foreign entities or not. *hits bong
    Doctor_NickElisaalexander.klassen
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, Trump is scarier as a manifestation of America rather than someone imposed by a trick. 

That said, I think the White Rose/Trump thing is dumb and lets us off the hook for how American Trump really is, backed by foreign entities or not. *hits bong

Elisa
  • White Rose probably lost a bet on the fact that it really worked, (s)he probably just wanted to fuck with the spindoctor or teach him a lesson about power and chaos which backfired on her.
  • This was among my favorite episodes of the series.  It answered some questions and filled in some blanks in the timeline.  My only complaint was the chase scene, but I can overlook it because it would only be improved if it was longer (more redouble) and I didn't want to see a long chase scene.  Music choices were interesting.  I liked finally seeing a human side to Tyrell who has previously been so dehumanized b/o Joanna.  Am enjoying Bobby Cannavale in the show despite my initial reservations.  Good Joey Badass scene, too.   Very satisfying episode IMO.
    Elisa
  • I liked season 2. This season is really cranking. Call it retcon or not, I love how they’re filling in the blanks.  Great episode IMO. I can’t wait to see Hulk Tyrell once he finds out about Joanna.
    Elisa
  • Yeah, I admit I was kind of nervous when I heard Bobby Cannavale was joining the cast.  I like him, but he's always played the same sort of character.  I wasn't sure how that would fit into Mr. Robot.  But Irving is unlike any other character I've seen him play.  Great job acting, and great job casting!    :)
    Elisa
  • Yeah his version of The Wolf is pretty cool. 

Yeah, I admit I was kind of nervous when I heard Bobby Cannavale was joining the cast.  I like him, but he's always played the same sort of character.  I wasn't sure how that would fit into Mr. Robot.  But Irving is unlike any other character I've seen him play.  Great job acting, and great job casting!    :)

April_May_June