201 - "Chapter One: MADMAX"

Written and directed by The Duffer Brothers

Comments

• Will's mom is boning Samwise Gamgee! And hey look it's Dr. Paul Resier ... Any other Mad About You fans from back in the day here?
    ElisaBrawnMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited October 2017
    I’m sorry but as someone who was a teenage girl in the 80s and in prime boy-ogling period in 1984, Billy’s hair is mingin’. 
  • Dee said: 
    I’m sorry but as someone who was a teenage girl in the 80s and in prime boy-ogling period in 1984, Billy’s hair is mingin’. 
    Also did they like double the volume of Steve's hair in between seasons? I'm glad they leaned into him as ridiculous 80s boyfriend ... The whole KFC scene was great.
    Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @MrX They’ve given him a mullet but he still has that glorious quiff on top. 

That was another thing that bugged me - was KFC called KFC in the 80s? Wasn’t it still just Kentucky Fried Chicken then?
    Elisa
  • Dee said:
    @MrX They’ve given him a mullet but he still has that glorious quiff on top. 

That was another thing that bugged me - was KFC called KFC in the 80s? Wasn’t it still just Kentucky Fried Chicken then?
    http://chickenchattin.kfc.com/kfc-name-change-history/

Looks like they are a few years off ;) 
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @KingKobra Knew it! 
    KingKobra
  • Was it printed on the packaging somewhere?  I didn't look for it in the scene but I assume KFC was common usage as the abbreviation in 1984 even though it wasn't officially named that.
    DummyDoctor_Nick
  • The chicken bucket said "Kentucky Fried Chicken". Pretty sure people called it KFC before they changed their name. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Maybe it’s an American thing - I only ever remember calling it Kentucky Fried before it rebranded as KFC. Not that we ever got to eat it because my parents didn’t like it. I had such a deprived childhood. 
    KingKobra
  • Digging it. Digging it a lot 
  • Obviously there's the Ghostbusters theme going on, so I'm assuming this was intentional--the shadow monster makes a very "Zuuuuuuuul"-like sound as Will first lays eyes upon it.  Love those little touches.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Starting my weekend binge now.  15 min. into this episode and it's already hitting my 'best of 2017' list.  They didn't waste any time in getting right back to the action.  Really loving the authentic '80s vibe and the soundtrack kicks ass.
    gguenotBrawn
  • For deeper 80's authenticity, drop the KFC.  It should have been Famous Recipe.
  • I'm pretty positive people were calling it KFC before they ever changed the name.  I didn't even know there was an official name change.