Alexandria Redesign

Let's say you're Team Rick - what suggestions do you make to improve Alexandria? (Physical, social, whatever).

Here are my first thoughts:

1) Some of those concrete car barriers about 20 feet out could go a long way. More generally, some Clear style barriers would be handy.

2) I think one risk is that someone dies in their sleep, but I'm not sure how big a risk that is or whether it's worth reworking all the houses for.

3) All the lawns should be converted to farmland.

4) I'd add some concrete to the wall so defenders can see over it. A nine foot concrete wall would be good.
TravisTaraC73

Comments

• Installation of zombie gut showers (just in case). Can you imagine the Alexandrians trying to wrap their heads around the potential need to bathe in zombie guts in order to make an escape?
    Jovial_Falcon
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I wonder if they have some kind of infirmary where they can put sick people. Really sick people (looking at you, old folk on the front porch)...

I don't believe the engineering/architecture stats that say those beams on the outside are more supportive. How about adding some beams INSIDE as well? Can't hurt.

I agree with you @Original_Joseph about a wall for lookouts to stand on, like how Woodbury had that RV at the gates where arrow girl sat.

I trust Deanna as far as I can throw her. Like Stewie said to Lois in the family guy "she don't sit right with me Lois" -- I would try to figure out a way to spy on her.

Going on the ASSumption that the alexandrians don't know that everyone is infected, I would mandate a class on how to protect yourself from a walker (if someone dies w/in the walls and changes) and make sure everyone has a weapon to take care of business.

I think they must have some farmland somewhere within the walls... But if not I would set that up. If there isn't available space for that I would mandate everyone have a garden in their backyard and assign veggies to be grown.

TravisS. Smith
  • Thank you TaraC73!!!

I'm not alone.  I am sooooooo distrustful of Deanna.  What doesn't jive for me is the interview stuff with Rick, she seemed so into them coming to be protection. She's all coy about "Are you already looking after this place?"  and after he tells her he's killed people to keep his family alive, she like "sounds like I want to be part of your family".  

That's fine but what is it based on?  She seemed so intense about wanting them there, but then after she's all "tra la la, lets have a cocktail party, we don't need anyone in the steeple".  Now, maybe she is just annoyed with her son loosing people out on scouting parties and that is why she wants them.  Maybe she just thought wow this slow trickle of death could de populate us pretty quick.  I'm confused!  And to make it even worse, Aaron seems like the most likely person to be gathering info about threats outside the walls, but I trust him.  

Ahhhhh..maybe Aiden has made contact or knows of some external threat and that's how Deanna knows?  

Jeez…too much time thinking about this!  But glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks Deanna is full of shit.   
    TaraC73
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    edited March 2015
    Use stacked cargo containers as walls. Add razorwire all around. Cozy sniper nests on each corner. Early warning systems like camera's and motion detectors in the surrounding woods. Search lights pointed outward so no-one sneaks up and night vision equipment is useless.

Double up on the gates and have a sluice policy. Make a buffer zone on the outer perimeter inside the walls and make sure everyone stays out of it. Add an extra wall on the inside and keep the weakest of your society in there out of sight from the outside. Build a decent concrete armory for weapons and medicine and appoint a quartermaster to keep inventory secure.

If people don't seem cool kill them. Don't banish them or let groups not suited for recruitment wander around, they may get ideas.

Enforce the goddamn chain of command. Don't give Glenn a pat on the back for hitting a lieutenant, confine him until he falls in line. Yes Aiden is an incompetent little snot but it's your fault for appointing him and you don't undermine authority like that just to appease the new guy.

Make some escape tunnels so you can get out if push comes to shove but hide and booby-trap them well.

Start expanding your operation. Make new bases and watch-posts and lock down all surrounding infrastructure.
    Original_Joseph
  • edited March 2015
    Those are great suggestions - I particularly like the cargo containers.   With a drill, some heavy bolts, and concrete, you could make them basically immovable as well.  Plus you can use them as your grainery.  (I was thinking chicken coop, but I guess you don't want your walls making noise.)

So this isn't much of a defense issue, but I was thinking about cell phones.  I think they'd be handy.

1) It should be possible to get wifi for the whole town and out to the walls.   

2) With solar power, a cell phone is a camera, game station, note pad, calculator, and alarm clock.  Add wifi and a server and its an email client and potentially a phone.   Unless you had the files to root some model, though, I think you'd be stuck with whatever apps you have.   

3) With a decent server, you could put together some web apps to monitor cameras, set off booby traps, monitor where people's phones are, etc.

(No idea how much power thoe would use, though - that might be a deal breaker, especially as your batteries degrade).
  • edited March 2015
    - Another idea: remote controlled noise makers at various points outside the village.   

If the zombies start pounding on the walls, everyone inside the walls stays quiet, and a speaker 100 yards away starts playing audio of cows being butchered or something.   For extra credit, have a line of them leading zombies away, ideally to a trap of some kind.   (Even a moving river would be enough, although I'd rather drop them into a quarry or something).

If you're under attack, you could set off a noise maker right where the enemy is concentrated.

- I think they need some serious weapons - even a few mortars and shells would go a long way.
    TaraC73Travis
    edited March 2015
    You wouldn't need concrete or bolts, they are heavy as hell. They won't budge unless you bring something like this to move them. It'll be quite an operation to get them in place but you won't have to call troll any steel and they are an abundant resource and lots of people who work in logistics would know how to work with them.

And definitely YES to the server! Need to get some LAN parties going asap. I'll personally set that up for our group :)
    Original_Josephbrewsevelt
  • brewseveltbrewsevelt Boston, MA
    Arctor said:

And definitely YES to the server! Need to get some LAN parties going asap. I'll personally set that up for our group :)

I have a feeling you'll be fighting Eugene for that job.
    Original_Joseph
  • Arctor said:

You wouldn't need concrete or bolts, they are heavy as hell. They won't budge unless you bring something like this to move them. It'll be quite an operation to get them in place but you won't have to call troll any steel and they are an abundant resource and lots of people who work in logistics would know how to work with them.

Right, so how the hell are you going to get them there? Your ideas are nice but they completely ignore the inconvenient reality of the logistics that would be required.
    edited March 2015
    ghm3 said:

Right, so how the hell are you going to get them there? Your ideas are nice but they completely ignore the inconvenient reality of the logistics that would be required.

A large enough percentage of the population works in logistics that you can reasonably expect at least a couple guys to know how to handle themselves around cranes and trucks. Seriously if you can find a doctor and a cop for 60 people you probably have 20 or more truckers and crane operators, it's a huge part of industry.

In a 60 mile radius in a semi industrialized area there should be an abundance of trucks, cranes and containers around.

Oh and hauling cold rolled steel and putting that in place is a lot harder than positioning containers which have transport vehicles and gear designed specifically for them, hence my choice for using them.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited March 2015
    i would build brick walls on the inner side of the metal. Brick can be easily transported and I am sure they can find a Lowes or equivalent around with the necessary brick and mortar needed. Problem with concrete barriers and storage containers is the weight and size. Bricks can be transported in cars, vans, trucks, RVs, whatever. granted it will take quite some time to build a brick wall across the entire town and once its there its really hard to expand if more and more people come. 

I would then focus on making that gate crazily fortified. Maybe even a draw bridge and a moat. 

You then need to start training the town how to survive in terms of gun use, farming, zombie killing/evasion, etc. 
  • edited March 2015
    Arctor said:

ghm3 said:

Edit: Quote system is glitched and looked weird, deleted.

@Arctor I'm not buying that they could move containers the size you're talking about, especially not the group we've seen so far, which is either too dumb or lazy to even keep someone posted in an overwatch post. There are much smaller shipping containers though that could far more easily be moved by flatbed truck or whatever, so if they could find enough of those I could see being able to make a wall out of them. The closest place would be train yards but there wouldn't likely be that be much there. DC has no port so you'd have to go up to Baltimore, which is nearly a 100 mile round trip (this is why I say there's no fucking way you're transporting the big ones, esp. enough to make a wall). 

Zombies would be easy to defend against, people are the only real concern. For zombies all you'd really need to do separately from the human defenses is dig some pits a bit out like we saw in early season 4 was it? Once enough are in the area just lead them to the pit and safely spear them in the skull from above.

If you can have fancy gadgets like cameras and motion detectors then FLIR would by far be your best friend. Zombies won't stand out but again, they don't matter so much so that's actually kind of a bonus if you're using in conjuction with other systems. Anything living will stand out though, and that's what you really need to care about. With FLIR no one would even be able to pull a Michone/Carol and blend in with a horde, you'd know the instant someone is there.