207 - "Chapter Seven: The Lost Sister"

Director: Rebecca Thomas
Writer: Justin Doble

Comments

• Low-key hated this episode outside of Private Joker and Eleven cosplaying as late 80s Winona Ryder.
    nstinsonLannitik
  • Low-key hated this episode outside of Private Joker and Eleven cosplaying as late 80s Winona Ryder.
    Wanted to add that this is an aberration in another fantastic season of Stranger Things. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Ugh, this was a dud episode. 
  • I came around on this one.  It was weird placement and took you out of everything.  But it was supposed to.  You are following Elle while she is trying to figure out what happened to mama.  She is completely out of the story and so were we while we were traveling with her.  She thought she didnt have a home.  And at the end she realized she already had a home and rejoins the story.  As well as bringing us back to the story.  
    TLDR:  It works but it throws you off unless you think of it as Elle being disconnected from what happened.
    KingKobraMichelleElisarustywright4
  • Came here first to see if everyone else is thinking the same thing; this episode was a huge misfire for me, essentially acting as a speed bump in the plot. One of those huge speed bumps, that jostles your entire vehicle and makes you forget what you were talking about a minute before.

• It had kind of a dark angel vibe with Jane finding her siblings, we also learn that papa is still alive, he will probably come back in season 3. I didn't like the way the gang escaped, they were under heavy fire in a normal van and Eleven wasn't using her powers to stop the bullets or something. At least she didn't convert to the dark side by showing mercy and used her anger for good in the end which maybe was kind of a darth vader reference.
    Elisaalina_mac
  • NBV said:
    I came around on this one.  It was weird placement and took you out of everything.  But it was supposed to.  You are following Elle while she is trying to figure out what happened to mama.  She is completely out of the story and so were we while we were traveling with her.  She thought she didnt have a home.  And at the end she realized she already had a home and rejoins the story.  As well as bringing us back to the story.  
    TLDR:  It works but it throws you off unless you think of it as Elle being disconnected from what happened.
    Agree with the above. I don't see it as a misfire or low point of the season. I know everyone wants the contained characters/story, but to survive I think they need to make the world bigger. I thought they successfully showed the contrast of two kids who grew up in the same environment, but once they were out had very different interactions which brought them to that point. Elle at this point was disconnecting on purpose as some teenagers do and rebelling.
    hisdudeness915Elisarustywright4
  • It's funny. I listened to the 204 podcast right before I watched this episode. Aron said (roughly) that taking the story out of Hawkins would be a misstep. The small Hoosier town is as much apart of the show as the time period.

Seems (to me) like he was dead on.
  • This damn show just became unwatchable. WTF. 
  • edited October 29
    Absolutely terrible acting by all of these losers. Linnea Berthelsen is a terrible actress. What kind of backstory would account for her accent? Regardless, her affect is horrible. This is like watching YouTube Red. Ugh.
  • NBV said:
    I came around on this one.  It was weird placement and took you out of everything.  But it was supposed to.  You are following Elle while she is trying to figure out what happened to mama.  She is completely out of the story and so were we while we were traveling with her.  She thought she didnt have a home.  And at the end she realized she already had a home and rejoins the story.  As well as bringing us back to the story.  
    A whole episode wasted just to help 011 appreciate Home? And so poorly done too. Is they did need to do this, it could have been done better. All the acting is bad no matter the intent of the plot.
  • A whole episode for her to FIND home.  She thought she had one with Hopper but he betrayed that when she called him papa.  She thought she had a home with Mike but she saw him with another girl.  Which in her emotional state crushed that for her.  She thought she had one with mama but her aunt betrayed that in 11s mind.  She finds her 'sister' and thinks she finds the home that she has always been searching for.  Someone who could relate to her and that same person went through the same thing with her.  But when it came down to it she realized that she wants to HELP people not hurt.  She sees Hop and Mike in danger and realized that was where her home is.
    MichelleKingKobrahisdudeness915Elisaalina_macDaveyMac
  • I do think it was the weakest episode in S2 though.  But it was necessary.  It needed to happen to close out a bunch of questions and open the world to even more for the next few seasons.
    Elisasaraej319
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited October 29
    This felt shoehorned.

i think this would have been much stronger if they had started this storyline from earlier on. Instead of dedicating an episode to it. Have 11 go off to Chicago earlier in the season. Then at the end of episode 7 she says she’s going home. It would have felt much more earned. I did love the shots of Chicago though. 
    AdamMBrawn
  • Tom_ATom_A Carcosa
    honestly this felt like an even shittier version of suicide squad
    JoshuaHeterGlobalcopalina_mac
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited October 29
    I get what they were going for in terms of telling the continuing story of Elle/Jane's journey, but when you've been so invested in the fantastic foursome, this episode felt out of place.  But it did move us forward and Elle is on her way back to the guys now, so there is that.
    BrawnElisaDaveyMac
  • just felt like if they had 11 spend most of the season in Chicago grappling with revenge and crime only to finally decide that’s not her and go home would have been much stronger. They could have easily had the Hopper house scenes plus her moms scenes all done in the first few episodes then leaving her to head off to Chicago much earlier on. 
    Elisa
  • If you are familiar with Grant Morrison and his work "The Invisible's", that little group of outcasts takes on a whole new depth. there was graffiti in the hideout -"O'Bedlam","King Mob" and "Barbellith" - which all appear in Morrison's Invisible's. Its a obscure reference to be sure ,but one I particularly appreciated.
    Elisa
  • edited October 29
    Guys, TV logic dictates that Netflix' cash cow is setting up next year.  Billy is literally completely unnecessary to the plot, for now.  What will 001-007, 010, and any possible other experiments, end up being up to in this universe?

I'll say this--without this ep, the last ep's resolution would seem totally X-Men: Apocalypse.  Eleven is learning not only about channeling her powers, but also about what is truly important to her, which 008 can't really understand, never having felt love before.
    hisdudeness915Elisaalina_mac
  • Interesting to see the responses to this one. I liked it. Bunch of cliches but I thought they were well done. Also liked having an 11-centered episode.
    KingKobrahisdudeness915Elisa
  • I really liked this episode. That reunion at the beginning and the separation at the end were perfect bookends and it really got me in the feels. MBB showed some chops trying to get my damn eyes to leak. I wonder if it made the episode more enjoyable because I watched the previous one last night and then started fresh with this one today? Like, if I watched it mid binge maybe it would’ve felt out of place like others have said? 
    KingKobraElisa
  • I really liked this episode. That reunion at the beginning and the separation at the end were perfect bookends and it really got me in the feels. MBB showed some chops trying to get my damn eyes to leak. I wonder if it made the episode more enjoyable because I watched the previous one last night and then started fresh with this one today? Like, if I watched it mid binge maybe it would’ve felt out of place like others have said? 
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I binged it and enjoyed it like you ;) we often see this type of reaction when coming away from a known core though. 
    hisdudeness915Elisa
  • Tom_ATom_A Carcosa
    woah woah woah? Giving into"Jane"? 

This is the same shit as the Aegon Targaryen thing. Our main characters call her Eleven... why would you think u have to start calling her Jane?
    Melia004
  • @Tom_A
    This must be what going mad must feel like.
    Jane, the girl they call Jane ...

rustywright4
  • Yeah, I found this to be a blemish on an otherwise great season. Didn't like any of the new characters, didn't like the setting, all very meh for me. 
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    This was a terrible episode.  Stranger Things when it is in Hawkins is a 10/10....outside out Hawkins it is a 4/10.  I thought the Barb plot was a terrible plot this season, but this 11 going to Chicago for an episode thing is just brutal.
  • Man, I just do not get the response to this episode at all. I was way more interested in Jane’s possible turn than I was to her coming back and holding out her hand and yelling to win the season again.
  • If anything, I felt it may have been a misstep to bring her back to the group at all this season, and hold off on doing it until Season 3 to really build that emotional anticipation, and to also tease out a much darker potential path for her by essentially turning her into Magneto for awhile.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited October 31
    Yea gotta agree with Jim and others on this one ... I ultimately like where 11 ended up and it was the necessary character arc for her, but the supporting characters and execution (and having it be a standalone episode) was a dud for me.
    ElisaThomas
  • I liked this episode outside of the people in 8s gang, but they were necessary. I got some major feels when 11 found 8, especially after leaving her mom like that. Maybe 8 can go and help the Mom with her powers next season. 
    Elisaalina_mac