209 - "Chapter Nine: The Gate"

Written and directed by The Duffer Brothers

Comments

• Can we please officially call BOWLSHIT on Game of Thrones season 7?  Take 4 fucking seconds to make your show plausible.  Stranger Things has all kinds of crazy shit, like the mind flayer showing up on a VHS tape, but it works in this show.  No pirates with magical infrared vision!
    voodoorat
  • I'm curious what nods and references you guys may have noticed on the way through season 2.  Off the top of my head, there was the "Zuuuuuul" noise the mind flayer made when Will first saw it; the one lady when the boys were trick 'r treating calling them "exterminators";  Hopper pulling a fucking Indiana Jones and grabbing his hat before the lab people burned the tunnel;  Bob laughingly asking what was at the location on the crayon map, pirate treasure?!... And then there were the little meta nods the show made to itself, like Mr. Wheeler asking Mike about if his friends jumped off a cliff, or the unbelievably satisfying telling off of Mr. Wheeler by Dustin, because obviously Mr. Wheeler is a huge sack of shit and even the show knows it.
  • The closing of the portal felt a bit like the closing of the hellmouth in the buffy finale in season 7, at least the preparations.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Okay, ep 7 aside, this was bloody awesome. And Steve - everybody’s favourite new babysitter-slash-stand in dad- was MVP. 

Now, as ever with highly anticipated Netflix shows, I’m annoyed that I binged and have at least another year to wait for the next season, where I assume Billy and Max’s family will be explored further since a) Will Chase is too much of a name actor to have one random scene in such a high profile show, and b) Billy alluded a couple of times to their move being caused by something Max did, but we never learned what. 
    KingKobraSchluppDummyMichelle
  • Loved the season..now I'm sad I went through all 9 in two days. I knew they'd do that flip or at least some type of bridge to show that things weren't done yet, but it worked for me. I am hoping that they bring her "sister" back as well. It seems with a demon that can alter your thoughts having someone with a similar ability may be a good counter weapon. 
    Dee
  • edited October 2017
    @Dee, KingKobra
    I feel you.

DeeDummy
  • Billy and Mrs Wheeler.......,,Bow chicka waaaaw waaw 
    Michellehisdudeness915
  • Great season. On par with season 1. And they managed to even leave the crazy spider beast as a looming threat for season 3. There were so many great nods to the first season. 

Dustin was my MVP. He killed it. Every scene with him was gold from start to finish. 
    Brawn
  • get ready for the full transition of billy into a fan favorite next season. Somehow this show makes almost every single character so likeable.
    Hatorian
  • what infrared vision pirates are you referring to? @Melia004
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited October 2017
    Tom_A said:
    get ready for the full transition of billy into a fan favorite next season. Somehow this show makes almost every single character so likeable.
    They did set it up for him to be redeemed with his dad being a total asshole. Although I could have totally went without the scene with Mikes mom basically mentally cheating on her Husband. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited October 2017
    The scene with Billy and Mike's mom was a total nod to Valley Girl. 

I fell in love with Dustin all over again during the Snow Ball.  My heart broke for him when the girls were rejecting him, but then to see him soooooo happy when Nancy asked him to dance - that smile is worth gold.   :)

And also, so, Hopper is Jane's real father?  Did I miss a flashback with them showing us that he and Terri were together and had a kid, or am I just not remembering it for some reason?  So much shit went down this season that I may need to rewatch. 
  • Michelle said:
    And also, so, Hopper is Jane's real father?  Did I miss a flashback with them showing us that he and Terri were together and had a kid, or am I just not remembering it for some reason?  So much shit went down this season that I may need to rewatch. 
    I think they're implying that Dr. Paul Reiser either secured an adoption for Elle by Hopper or juked the paperwork to legitimize her as his natural daughter. 
    BrawnMichelle
  • I thought the scene with Billy and his father was a nod to American Beauty.
    Melia004
  • Tom_A said:
    what infrared vision pirates are you referring to? @Melia004
    I don't wanna spoil Game of Thrones more than very vaguely, so suffice it to say, that show's latest season really felt like they didn't give a crap *why* awesome spectacles would occur, only that they did.  I could literally follow every Stranger Things characters' train of thought, even with wild, out-there concepts.
  • I finished the season last night and i think it started a bit slow, but really picked up after episode 2. The only real misstep being episode 7. I think adding Steve to the mix with the kids was a great idea. I find these characters relentlessly likeable and watchable. Hopper and El's arc is so good. I'm glad they don't make Hopper into a generic good guy cop. He's an asshole, but he's also been through some horrible stuff (loss of his daughter) and is tasked with literally trying to hold the fabric of the small Indiana town together single handedly sometimes. 

That conversation between he and Eleven in the truck at the end was exactly what I wanted and more in a payoff at an end of a season.
    Brawn
  • Melia004 said:
    Can we please officially call BOWLSHIT on Game of Thrones season 7?  Take 4 fucking seconds to make your show plausible.  Stranger Things has all kinds of crazy shit, like the mind flayer showing up on a VHS tape, but it works in this show.  No pirates with magical infrared vision!
    There's two ways of dealing with supernatural stuff on fiction that works.
    Either you keep the pace up so that we don't get caught up in details, or you have the characters themselves acknowledge that they don't understand. Which is what stranger things, the leftovers, etc do.

The way that doesn't work is when fiction decides to make the technicalities of the supernatural stuff the central plot point, because that it when you invite all sorts of questions about inconsistencies (GoT, walking dead, etc).

The closing of the gate and that fact that something that trivial is the answer works on Stranger Things because they are clearly trying to get you to connect to it on an emotional level, not on a "how will our heroes rules-lawyer the supernatural aspects to win."
  • edited October 2017
    Melia004 said:
    Can we please officially call BOWLSHIT on Game of Thrones season 7?  Take 4 fucking seconds to make your show plausible.  Stranger Things has all kinds of crazy shit, like the mind flayer showing up on a VHS tape, but it works in this show.  No pirates with magical infrared vision!
    There's two ways of dealing with supernatural stuff on fiction that works.
    Either you keep the pace up so that we don't get caught up in details, or you have the characters themselves acknowledge that they don't understand. Which is what stranger things, the leftovers, etc do.

The way that doesn't work is when fiction decides to make the technicalities of the supernatural stuff the central plot point, because that it when you invite all sorts of questions about inconsistencies (GoT, walking dead, etc).

The closing of the gate and that fact that something that trivial is the answer works on Stranger Things because they are clearly trying to get you to connect to it on an emotional level, not on a "how will our heroes rules-lawyer the supernatural aspects to win."
    Stranger Things has never had me wondering why a character was thinking what they seemed to be at any given moment.  GoT season 7 had moment after moment of head-scratching behavior, just to pad time, or just to get to a cool action set.  ("Let's go get a wight to prove to the biggest asshole in the world that they shouldn't be an asshole!"--ridiculous.)

Funny you should mention The Leftovers.  IMO so did not bother thinking about what the audience would think, once it got past the book-based first season.  Those characters had plenty of moments acting completely illogically, with no explanation why.
  • Did anyone else's appreciation for Nancy shoot way up after that scene with Dustin at the dance? It was easily her best scene of the season.
    DeeMichelle
  • Can't believe I went from full blown hating Steve to thinking he was an alright cat at the end of season one to now thinking he's the most badass guy in the entire show.
    Coyote_StarrkBrawn
  • Can't believe I went from full blown hating Steve to thinking he was an alright cat at the end of season one to now thinking he's the most badass guy in the entire show.
    I remember reading his "redemption" arc at the end of S1 was originally supposed to go to Will and Jonathan's dad. Really glad it went to him. He's my favorite character on the show now. 
    MichelleAww_PHuuCk
    I remember reading his "redemption" arc at the end of S1 was originally supposed to go to Will and Jonathan's dad. Really glad it went to him. He's my favorite character on the show now. 
    Word. I think also the girl who plays Nancy said in the initial scripts of S1, Steve was supposed to be killed off too.
  •   Aww_PHuuCk said:
    Can't believe I went from full blown hating Steve to thinking he was an alright cat at the end of season one to now thinking he's the most badass guy in the entire show.
    Yeah I really like what they do with Steve.  How often is the rich popular High School kid who drives a BMW in an 80's movie end up being a genuinely good person?  And he still has his moments of being a cocky butthead, but overall he has been a decent guy.  Kudos to the show for having well rounded characters that don't always follow tropes. 
  • I loved the season and thought it was brilliantly paced except the Chicago episode. That was the only one that had filler

El better watch out Mike is a level 15 clinger in the making 
    So being Zombie Boy is working out for Will
    I like Lucas and Max pairing but felt so bad for Dustin at the time
    The Nancy Dustin dancing scene was great and it obviously made the rest of the girls super jealous
    The getting the virus out of Will was insane and I don't know how Jonathon deals with that
    El mentioning Dustin having teeth was hilarious
    Also good on Steve finally calling out Dustin on the teeth growl that was creepy from the first time he did it
    The worst part of this is we now don't know how long we have to go before the next season