802 - The Damned

Directed by Rosemary Rodriguez. 

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Got 7 minutes in and had to rewind and sync the live watch on the laptop to aux cord speaker. Episode saved.  
  • Well that was certainly....an episode. 
  • They think they are doing a good job.  It's just sad at this point.  
    JTKIIIThomas
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I think that's a historically bad episode. Wasn't even fun to make fun of. Just a mess of unconnected action scenes. Maybe it will make sense watching it after I've got some sleep and not looking for jokes but woof!
    JTKIII
  • Who's excited for another season of "we have to kill people" - "that's not who we are"
    Murderbearlengmorustywright4
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Just watched a 3 run homer from LA. Gonna stoke a fire outside. Not sure how I feel about restarting this episode. 
  • Just give the damn razzie to Tara and Jesus for the worst tv scene of the year. Nothing is going to beat that. That was laugh out loud horrible. 
    hisdudeness915MurderbeartoncicaMegGryffindorThomas
  • GrahamGraham Grand Rapids, MI
    I take it "The Damned" is supposed to be referring to the writing staff?
    hisdudeness915saraej319
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    What happened to that baby? Did I miss rick taking her out of the crib or shooting her? Or was she a dream? SUCH A CONFUSING EPISODE!!! 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Graham said:
    I take it "The Damned" is supposed to be referring to the writing staff?
    No, it's us and Jim and A.Ron are the gatekeepers to Hell. If they would just stop covering this show, we could all break free and stop watching!
    Area51bob
  • christ. we lose the stupid time jumps and go to confusing action scenes with the unlimited ammo cheat code. and they are back to “leave a character in mortal danger and don’t get back to them till weeks later when we forgot that we gave a shit” mode. end the episode with a great line like “ i hope you got your shitting pants on “ then nothing in this episode
  • While I didn't mind the action, it seemed almost unconnected from last weeks action. So was this before or after what they did last week? Not only that, but we know they were looking for a weapons depot(s) (was it everyone looking for weapons?). While I get what they were doing (attacking outposts) it just doesn't as of yet seem to fit a puzzle piece in the timeline. 
    I can see Jesus hesitating and not shooting piss pants with his hands up but how do you not shoot him after he betrayed you? And Tara too. You don't shoot people, they burn you. It's what happens. Have you not been watching this show, Jesus?

@TaraC73 I'm assuming Rick was probably going to clear the rest of the building and come back for baby Gracie?? Maaaaaybe he would leave her but I can't picture him killing her.

Cool, now Morgan is a cold blooded terminator. What an interesting development. By the end of the season, he'll be a pacifist. Guaranteed.
    TaraC73
  • Scott Gimple said on Talking Dead they have eight days to film each episode. Serious question: Is that normal for most television shows? And if it isn't, could that maybe explain the "rushed" feel this episode had?
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited October 2017
    What a waste of an episode. Props to the feedbacker who said that Aaron’s boyfriend was gonna bite it last week though. Here’s some internet points
  • I wish this show would stop trying (and failing) to be artsy with how it tells a story. Just give us the a damn straight up story without time jumps and goofy closeups of people's faces. 

Back to the 'Kill everyone!', 'No that's not you!' tropes. 

Also, have they ever not killed a guy who turned out to be a decent human being? Every single time they let someone live they turn out to be a turdface. 
    TaraC73
  • KingKobra said:
    While I didn't mind the action, it seemed almost unconnected from last weeks action. So was this before or after what they did last week? Not only that, but we know they were looking for a weapons depot(s) (was it everyone looking for weapons?). While I get what they were doing (attacking outposts) it just doesn't as of yet seem to fit a puzzle piece in the timeline. 
    I think the action shown this week happens right after last week, with the objective of preventing the remaining Saviors at liberty from freeing the Sanctuary and/or launching attacks of their own.  We see Rick, who was at the Sanctuary, and we see the continuation of Carol's attack on a lookout for a compound.
    I can see Jesus hesitating and not shooting piss pants with his hands up but how do you not shoot him after he betrayed you? And Tara too. You don't shoot people, they burn you. It's what happens. Have you not been watching this show, Jesus?
    Perhaps these shows are deliberately written poorly to attract dumb people because dumb people buy more from advertisers.
    I wish this show would stop trying (and failing) to be artsy with how it tells a story. Just give us the a damn straight up story without time jumps and goofy closeups of people's faces.
    I think they're trying to make the show feel * * E P I C * * and as you say just ends up being goofy.
    What a waste of an episode. Props to the feedbacker who said that Aaron’s boyfriend was gonna bite it last week though. Here’s some internet points
    This show is too predictable and nine times out of ten, they telegraph it so much, it's incredibly easy to see it coming. And with so many main characters, the instant a secondary or even third tier character get a little story and emotional content, you know it's time to start digging another grave.

But, to be fair, he's not dead yet.
  • I think that's a historically bad episode. Wasn't even fun to make fun of. Just a mess of unconnected action scenes. Maybe it will make sense watching it after I've got some sleep and not looking for jokes but woof!
    This episode transcended bad TV. TWD is now just an endless loop of:

What more needs to be said?
    MurderbearTaraC73saraej319
    Also, one other thing that bugged me, was the guy Morgan was staring at dead or not? At first I thought it was just a mistake they missed his blinking right as Morgan got up (I think the guy thought he was blocked from the camera) but the closeup on the side of his face and neck as Morgan walked away was very clearly moving. He sure did go a long time without blinking as Morgan stared at him when he woke back up....
    janepatrickmarch
  • This shows become so bad that I haven’t even bothered watching the episode before coming to this thread and risking spoilers
    JTKIIIDee
  • Scott Gimple said on Talking Dead they have eight days to film each episode. Serious question: Is that normal for most television shows? And if it isn't, could that maybe explain the "rushed" feel this episode had?
    It was funny to see how seriously he takes himself.
  • edited October 2017
    Jesus Morgalizing Christ. I think the writer's room looks like this: they have three old coffee cans set up on a folding table. Inside one are a bunch of little pieces of paper with the characters' names written on them. In another are a bunch of little pieces of paper with character development tropes written on them -- and somebody messed up and wrote "doesn't want to kill anymore" on about eight of those pieces of paper (there are probably nine total). And in the third can are a bunch of little pieces of paper with different locations or situations written on them.

Pick a character: Carol
    Pick a development trope: doesn't want to kill anymore
    Pick a situation/location: peace time in Alexandria

Let's do it again!

Pick a character: Morgan
    Pick a development trope: doesn't want to kill anymore
    Pick a situation/location: on his own, goat farm

One more time for the kids in the back!

Pick a character: Jesus
    Pick a development trope: doesn't want to kill anymore (at this point someone should be checking the can, Gimple has obviously stuffed the ballot box with "doesn't want to kill anymore")
    Pick a situation/location: smack dab in the middle of ALL OUT WAR

And we all know there are at least a few more examples. 

On a separate note, I can't wait to see what becomes of Chekhov's baby. She'll probably show back up on an opposing camp's side in Season 16. I mean if you following the Morales resurfacing timeline that makes sense--about as much sense as Morales showing back up now, anyway. I had no idea who he was until the twitterverse told me. How did THEY know? I know Rick said his name but has half the fanbase been carrying around a torch for long lost Morales all this time? 

hisdudeness915DoubleA_Ron
  • Am I supposed to feel something here? Like, I dunno tension or emotion or something? Because I don't.

@MegGryffindor
    I guess the TWD writing staff is where the less talented manatees work.

• @Schlupp yeah the Family Guy manatee process works much better. Somebody get Gimple a manatee!
  • Haven't even watched the episode yet, and even though everyone is saying it's looking bad after hearing that Morales is back...I kinda can't wait to see it now.
  • Truly a horrible episode. I only watch for the jokes and the live watches 
  • What a waste of an episode. Props to the feedbacker who said that Aaron’s boyfriend was gonna bite it last week though. Here’s some internet points
    This show is too predictable and nine times out of ten, they telegraph it so much, it's incredibly easy to see it coming. And with so many main characters, the instant a secondary or even third tier character get a little story and emotional content, you know it's time to start digging another grave.

But, to be fair, he's not dead yet.
    You’re totally right. I guess the sad part is that I don’t even care enough to try to predict anything anymore. I’m literally only watching because the guys still cover it. And I guess to be able to come on here and laugh at everyone’s comments with context. 
  • edited October 2017
    Forty minutes of poorly staged, poorly filmed action sequences, "we don't have to kill people" moralizing, and failed attempts at artiness, capped off with the dramatic return of...some dude from season 1 that 90% of the fanbase doesn't even remember. A parody of the last few seasons of the show would play almost identically to this episode; it's The Walking Dead at its sloppy, incoherent worst.
  • So I just recently started watching these guys do the live watch and holy crap, listening to these guys riff on the show is great. Seriously the only reason I still watch this show is because they still do. 

Is is there anyway they can salvage this show please. Netflix do your thing!