709 - Drink the Kool-Aid

Directed by: Angela Bassett OH SHIT SERIOUSLY?!? AAAAHHHHHHH!!!
Writen by: Adam Penn
MichelleTravisalina_mac

Comments

• CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    Jim Jones just high-fived Jesus. 
    KingKobraTravisMichelleJamie91alina_macElisa
  • I've got really conflicted feelings about Ally's 180. There was almost no transtion to her new personality. Props to Peters for playing all of the cult leaders. I didn't think it was a bad episode, it just bothers me that Ally has done such a hard turn. She was diabolical with her plan however. 
    Travis
  • Cecily said:
    Well Wikipedia says that could have never happened :D
    TravisMichelleA_Ron_Hubbard
  • I liked this one quite a bit. I get where @KingKobra is coming from about Ally's newfound power, but "sensicle" or not I think it's very entertaining television. I like the transition into a revenge story. She'll never be The Bride, but I can get behind this. I'm looking forward to her busting some shit up (yes, part of me can't believe I'm saying this about Ally). Her killing Ivy was some awesome, cold blooded shit.

Agreed on the props to Evan Peters of it all. He did a great job. I really enjoyed all of that stuff.
    MichelleJamie91Elisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    KingKobra said:
    Cecily said:
    Well Wikipedia says that could have never happened :D
    FAKE NEWS!
    TravisKingKobraCecily
    Travis said:
    I liked this one quite a bit. I get where @KingKobra is coming from about Ally's newfound power, but "sensicle" or not I think it's very entertaining television. I like the transition into a revenge story. She'll never be The Bride, but I can get behind this. I'm looking forward to her busting some shit up (yes, part of me can't believe I'm saying this about Ally). Her killing Ivy was some awesome, cold blooded shit.

Agreed on the props to Evan Peters of it all. He did a great job. I really enjoyed all of that stuff.
    This is where I stand on Ally as well.  There's only so much shit a person can take before the inner rage, coupled with the desire to get her son back, take over.  Once she found that she'd been betrayed by literally everyone she'd been in contact with (except for Oz, although he gave her the cold shoulder), she was hell bent on revenge.  I'm not a mother but I do know that a mother's protective nature can make her do some unthinkable shit in the name of keeping her son safe at all costs.   I so like her 180.  It's nice to see her be the strong, ruthless, conniving person I've wanted her to be since day one.  Her calm, cool, collected attitude when serving Ivy dinner was *everything*.  As soon as she didn't drink any wine, yet was urging Ivy to drink up, I knew she was going to kill her.  That's an easy tell, though... when you serve someone a meal or a drink and you're not having any at all, and they've wronged you, and you're in a show about murder, guess what?  There is murder afoot.

Loved the scenes of previous cult leaders (all portrayed by Evan Peters, who surely must be going for an Emmy or something) and then how Kai used their ideals with his own cult.  I was seriously on the edge of my seat with the 'drink the punch' scene.  I for sure thought Beverly was gonna die.  Then when I saw Ally and Ivy drink it, I felt relieved.  It wasn't their time yet.  But jesus, Kai's head is severely fucked up to play that mind game and to actually have Gary shoot someone in the middle of this whole game.  

LOVED the smackdown that Beverly, then later Ally, gave Winter.  I don't usually approve of violence, but god that was satisfying.  And why the hell is Winter still approved to pick up Oz from school?  As soon as Ally caught wind of what was going on, she should have had her removed from the list and told them that if Ivy tried to add her back, to deny that. 

Such a strong episode tonight.  Looking forward to next week's episode!
    TravisElisa
  • I wouldn't even mind the 180, if it wasn't so "quick". I like her revenge side, I just thought it was too quick to go as far as she is. 
    KingKobra said:
    I wouldn't even mind the 180, if it wasn't so "quick". I like her revenge side, I just thought it was too quick to go as far as she is. 
    I think when you are just pushed as far as she had been, something inside of you just 'snaps' and you decide to fight back.  It's like when someone is bullied forever - there's only so much you can take before you just lose it.  Now granted, she did have her phobias which were making her pretty mentally fragile, but I think once she found out about the BS going on around her and aimed toward her, that switch in her brain just flipped...which I am thankful for, because I couldn't take another episode of her sobbing the entire hour.
    Elisa
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Yeah I really enjoyed this episode as well. I watch a lot of horror stuff but forced suicide is probably the hardest thing for me to watch. 12/10 scared the shit out of me
    MichelleElisa
  • alina_macalina_mac Akron, Ohio
    I really liked this episode. It had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

And now, I'm okay with the Murphy Curveball  of Ally being strong and independent. Last week, Ally telling Kai "You cured me" wasn't enough to answer the question of HOW, but this week fully answered it: Three weeks in presumably solitary confinement after being betrayed and abandoned by absolutely everybody. 

I also really liked the challenge to Kai's facade. He wants to be the calm wise man to his army and the "cool bro" Dad to Oz, but it started to crack with Oz;s precocious, incessant questioning. 
    KingKobraTravisElisa
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited November 2017
    Between Halloween and the World Series, I still haven't seen this episode.  I'll be watching it tonight.

I am here right now just to say - haha.  It's been announced Billy Eichner will play Timon the meerkat in the new Lion King.

Hakuna Matata
    alina_macTravisMichelle
  • Jamie91Jamie91 Pennsylvania
    edited November 2017
    Such an amazing episode--a complete thrill-ride. It was so satisfying for Ivy to get what she deserved. Who do we think is going to survive the season? Also: do we think the writers are winking at us that Ivy got poisoned? Or am I reaching?
    alina_mac
  • Clearly Kai is the season's only survivor. He becomes President in the final episode.

TravisElisaalina_mac
    redlancer said:
    Clearly Kai is the season's only survivor. He becomes President in the final episode.

Seems fitting! 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    This episode was focused.  Made me think again: Wtf with that Lena Dunham episode?  

This was a damn good episode though.  So satisfying seeing all that foreshadowing resolve with the pasta scene. 
    alina_macElisa
  • alina_macalina_mac Akron, Ohio
    @cdrive Totally agree about the Lena Dunham. So far, it feels like a throwaway episode with an excuse to get Francis Conroy back. But where is Dennis O'Hare???
    cdrive
    To me, it showed the power that a group of people can have when they rise up together.  Unfortunately they also murdered folks...  But it tied in with the females in Kai's cult banding together as a resistance.
  • This was the only decent episode so far. LOVED that Ally got her revenge. Ivy was driving me NUTS. 
    Not a perfect episode, but it surprised me considering I've hated the entire season thus far. 

Elisa