Alias Grace (Margaret Atwood adaptation) on Netflix

Is anyone watching it? It is a six-part miniseries of Margaret Atwood's "Alias Grace," which was inspired by true events. I watched it over the weekend and loved it. It's more subtle/constrained than The Handmaid's Tale, which I also loved, but just as harrowing. Grace Marks is an intriguing character, and the way they depict her story is confounding in the best way. Sarah Polley wrote it, and Mary Harron (American Psycho) directed it.

Elisa

Comments

• I loved it!  It came on regular tv here - it aired on our public broadcast channel (the CBC).  Between this and the Anne of Green Gables reboot, the CBC is making some really good shows these days!
    pavlovsbellElisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @CretanBull  Did you ever see Slings & Arrows? I didn't watch it until a couple of years ago, so when Mr. Kinnear was introduced in Alias Grace, I thought he looked familiar but could not place him. Paul Gross went from handsome middle-aged guy to silver fox in two years for me.

I haven't checked out Anne of Green Gables yet. I'm scared to, because I really loved those books as a girl, and I'm always worried about adaptations.
    CretanBull
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I am in the middle of it, but so far so good. I am really enjoying the mini-series.  Very tragic and sad, but still riveting.
  • @CretanBull  Did you ever see Slings & Arrows? I didn't watch it until a couple of years ago, so when Mr. Kinnear was introduced in Alias Grace, I thought he looked familiar but could not place him. Paul Gross went from handsome middle-aged guy to silver fox in two years for me.

I haven't checked out Anne of Green Gables yet. I'm scared to, because I really loved those books as a girl, and I'm always worried about adaptations.
    I've seen a few episodes of Slings & Arrows but didn't follow it as a series.  I know who Paul Gross is though, he's pretty famous here.  His first show Due South was a big hit and he wrote and directed the biggest budget film in Canadian history ($16 million!) called Passchendaele (a WWI movie about a battle that Canadian soldiers won against all odds...it also gained us respect in the eyes of the UK and played a part in our eventual independence from them).

I absolutely loved the Anne of Green Gables remake!  It's called Anne here, but I think internationally it's called Anne with an E.  Moira Walley-Beckett (she wrote the best episodes of Breaking Bad IMO) wrote all of the episodes and produced the series, and she was able to bring in some great directors...Niki Caro (Whale Rider) , Helen Shaver (Orphan Black, 13 Reasons Why), Patricia Rozema (Mansfield Park) etc.

It's both a faithful adaptation while also modernized (but not bastardized!).  It's darker, but justafibly so IMO and not just dark for the sake of it.  They focus on the trauma she experienced while at the orphanage and use that to explain some of her more erratic behaviour - but it serves to show why she's so grateful to be at Green Gables.

pavlovsbellElisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I loved Slings & Arrows. I'm a Shakespeare nut and a former theatre kid(ish), so it's right up my alley. However, I don't think you have to be either of those two things to enjoy the show.

I added Anne with an E (what a dumb name) to my Netflix queue based on your enthusiastic recommendation. I have to catch up on BoJack Horseman and Halt & Catch Fire, among other things, before getting near it, but thank you for the rec.
    Elisa
  • I really liked it and binged through it fast. My favorite parts were the ones with Mary, she was such a loveable character and a good friend to Grace. A very well crafted, tight story, and mostly well acted (not that crazy about dr. Jordan's performance).
    The thing I disliked most was that Grace looked neither like a girl of 15, nor like a woman who'd been in prison for 15 years. Apart from the very end, she looked the same age all throughout. I feel like they could have done a way better job with her makeup as this kept throwing me off my immersion in the story and bothered me quite a bit.
    Elisapavlovsbell
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Alias Grace is on my list. 
    Elisa