305 Eps3.4runtime-error.r00

edited November 9 in Mr. Robot
Directed by Sam Esmail
Written by Kor Adana and Randolph Leon
Joe_BearElisa

Comments

• Thought this was an excellent episode. The “one shot” look had me immersed the entire episode and really added to the tension. Also, the hamburger elevator operator/delivery guy really gets around and must be more important than it seems. He also seems to REALLY like his burgers. This might be one of my favorite episodes and top 3 of aired episodes thus far. 
    CretanBullElisaLucas
  • Loved it. Wish it had gone the full hour, but appreciated what we got commercial free. Excellent music and sound design, as always, and once the title came up and eye realized we were getting a real time episode, eye was so in. 
    Elisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks for getting the thread started. We ran long on AHS tonight, appreciate the assist, KK!
    KingKobraElisaDeek_Fasay
  • No problem good sir! I figured life or work delayed you. 

For those wondering about how they did tonight’s episode looks like Sepinwall interviewed Esmail (who was also on the live Verge aftershow). 

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/mr-robot-spoilers-runtime-error-sam-esmail-interview-recap/
    hisdudeness915Joe_BearElisaLucas
  • Awesome episode. I’ve been teetering back and forth with this show since the finale of season 1 but that was solid television. Props to USA Network for letting Esmail do the commercial-free deal too. 
    Elisa
  • Another great episode, this whole season has been really, really good!
    Elisabizmarkiefader
  • I think we've all had one of those inadvertently blunt moments with a co worker. Reminded me of how Elliot tore down the guy from Steel mountain 
    ElisaCretanBull
  • adobo1148 said:
    I think we've all had one of those inadvertently blunt moments with a co worker. Reminded me of how Elliot tore down the guy from Steel mountain 
    Something remarkably similar happened to me the other day.  I was in my condo elevator, the doors were closing and a hand darted in at the last second to open the doors.  A super annoying neighbour who talks his head-off got in.  At the best of times I have little patients for him, but I'm not a morning person at all and find him particularly grating when I'm still half a sleep.  As his hand shot in and I saw who it was, I said "oh for fucks sake" - totally didn't realize that I'd said it out loud until he said "Pardon?". 
    KingKobraebuchholzElisaDanistampsLucas
  • edited November 9
    A quick recap on episode 5:
    https://youtu.be/ABIYeBm8e_Q

Mod edit: Merged from a stand alone thread so that it can be a part of the episode's discussion thread.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Really enjoyed this episode. Very intense and eerie. It’s a corporate employees worse nightmare. 
  • That top down shot following Angela into the room when you can see the exterior of the building was masterful. 

CretanBulladobo1148ElisaDanistampshisdudeness915Deek_Fasay
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    So many good shots in this episode. When Angela puts on the mask kinda choking into it walking through the hallway and the rioters stop for a second as she walks by, holy shit that whole scene.
    CretanBullKingKobraElisahypergenesbDanistampshisdudeness915
  • Ok we saw the instructions Angela was supposed to follow.  Are we sure she followed them exactly?  If she did, then why was Elliot necessary?  Was there some kind of message Elliot was suppose to see?

Theory time!
    I'm leaning simulation theory.  I think it explains a lot of WR's power and reach.  When Angela calls Irving, he seemed surprised that Angela didn't know where Elliot was. It reads like that Jake Gyllenhal movie Source Code. SPOILER He's in a simulation, but doesn't know until 1/3 of the way through the movie.  He's asking questions to his superiors and they don't really know how to answer. Irving seems to have the same response. 
    And let's look at it from Irving's point of view.  WR had a plan for Elliot, and now Angela does it instead.  He should be freaking the fuck out. nope he's cool just move on. 

on a smaller note, Why was the Haz Mat dude in the building? It has to be significant that it's him and not just some random dude right?    More theories I think there are people, similar to NPCs that The DA/WR put in the simulation when they need them.  

IDK I'm at work and can't flesh this all out rn
    Elisa
  • Meh, I guess I'll skip the rest of the season and tune in for season four, if there is one.  I think it's clear that phase two will last all season and I don't care about it, which is the core issue for me this season.  Imagine all the crazy action and planning in Rogue One, but the plan was to steal fuel or something innocuous.  The action and tension do not match the end game, which is to destroy paper copies.  This would have worked great in season 1 when the plan was to bring down the economy and the stakes felt much higher.  But I'm not buying any of this life and death, double cross, super serious stakes for something as hurpy durpy as getting rid of paper backups.  Goodbye, friend.
    CretanBull
  • GredalBee said:
    Meh, I guess I'll skip the rest of the season and tune in for season four, if there is one.  I think it's clear that phase two will last all season and I don't care about it, which is the core issue for me this season.  Imagine all the crazy action and planning in Rogue One, but the plan was to steal fuel or something innocuous.  The action and tension do not match the end game, which is to destroy paper copies.  This would have worked great in season 1 when the plan was to bring down the economy and the stakes felt much higher.  But I'm not buying any of this life and death, double cross, super serious stakes for something as hurpy durpy as getting rid of paper backups.  Goodbye, friend.
    To each his own, but this is about the journey more than the end game - and it's been a great journey to watch so far IMO.  Also, the end game isn't about the paper, it's about the global implications of losing that paper - and the tension and surrounding the question of whether or not there will be a human cost to blowing up that building.  I think in terms of global impact and human life, these are the biggest stakes of the series so far.
    KingKobraElisa
  • @RedRanger9001 I’m not sure Dark Army thinks Angela had the skills to complete the task. Of course that small hesitation about following ALL of the instructions exactly may be a “gotcha”. Angela does have skills, but she is not as “elite” as Elliot. 

@CretanBull I tend to agree about the journey. Also, it’s not “just” paper. The paper is the only remaining backup of the digital data that was lost. If they lose the paper then things would really be fubar. They would have no way to recover period. Right now they are just waiting things out since they do have that fallback. 
    CretanBullElisa
  • Love how Elliot had the older woman pegged as tech deficient, DOLT!!!!!!!
    GredalBeeElisaFlukes
  • edited November 9
    @CretanBull The lives at stake are faceless E Corp employees.  From day one, they've either been portrayed as ambivalent or actively part of the problem.  I guess Elliot cares about them, for some reason, but I have a hard time caring about fake people in a fake building or their overall significance.  If Angela worked in that building, now there's real stakes, but it's a convenient abstraction at this point.  They certainly didn't care about those E Corp employees when they wanted to destroy all their livelihoods.

@KingKobra You're advocating for something the show doesn't really do.  The paper is super important because without it things get really bad? The show has failed to illustrate how bad things are now.  A.Ron has a section on the podcast dedicated to that, TOTTDAB.  If/when the paper is destroyed, not only will we probably not see any of the fall out, there will probably be scenes and locations that contradict it because Esmail has little interest in showing that.

Phase two is a shitty plan that gets White Rose into a better position to do whatever end game she's going to do.  If you're not going to develop the characters (they've woefully under served Dom and Angela so far), then the quicker we get past this, the better.  I appreciate the fact that they are much more plot driven this season, it just happens to be a plot that's nowhere as good as season 1 and has less interesting character development than season 2.
    CretanBull
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited November 9
    GredalBee said:
    @CretanBull The lives at stake are faceless E Corp employees.  From day one, they've either been portrayed as ambivalent or actively part of the problem.  I guess Elliot cares about them, for some reason, but I have a hard time caring about fake people in a fake building or their overall significance.  If Angela worked in that building, now there's real stakes, but it's a convenient abstraction at this point.  They certainly didn't care about those E Corp employees when they wanted to destroy all their livelihoods.

I won't try to convince you to like something that you don't like, but I thought that last night's episode was probably the best of the series.  It's easy for a one-take episode to be gimmicky but they did it so seamlessly that the camera movement actually became a narrative tool that added to the tension of the story.  Love or hate the plot, you've got to give it up for style!

GredalBeeKingKobraElisa
  • @GredalBee as with @CretanBull I’m not going to try to convince you to like the show. I just personally disagree. Things aren’t bad for everyone, but they are bad. They have shown trash piling up on the streets, power outages, local stores closing or not being able to get supplies. It may not be enough for you, but for me, they have shown enough to give me an idea of things getting bad. Will there always be exceptions? Sure, and it happens that our main characters live in that world of exception, what sprinkles their world and seems to be starting to creep into their world is what is going on outside of it. While I get what people say when they want “more” of what is going on with the outside world, if that isn’t important or distracts from what Esmail envisions in his big picture, I don’t mind it. This is just something we’re the two sides will agree to disagree ;) 
    CretanBullElisa
  • KingKobra said:
    @GredalBee as with @CretanBull I’m not going to try to convince you to like the show. I just personally disagree. Things aren’t bad for everyone, but they are bad. They have shown trash piling up on the streets, power outages, local stores closing or not being able to get supplies. It may not be enough for you, but for me, they have shown enough to give me an idea of things getting bad. Will there always be exceptions? Sure, and it happens that our main characters live in that world of exception, what sprinkles their world and seems to be starting to creep into their world is what is going on outside of it. While I get what people say when they want “more” of what is going on with the outside world, if that isn’t important or distracts from what Esmail envisions in his big picture, I don’t mind it. This is just something we’re the two sides will agree to disagree ;) 
    I agree, personally I don't think the show is missing anything for not delving into the details...there's enough there for the viewer to draw their own conclusions.  In many ways, it's better to have the viewer trying to imagine the impact rather than showing it.  Ultimately though, the show isn't about the consequences - it's about the process, it's more character driven than plot driven.  To me the compelling thing is witnessing Elliot's struggle with himself...not in worrying about the precise details of how the crash effected a the average person (and I think there's enough on screen for us to extrapolate those details if we cared to).
    KingKobrabizmarkiefaderElisa
  • KingKobra said:
    @GredalBee as with @CretanBull I’m not going to try to convince you to like the show. I just personally disagree. Things aren’t bad for everyone, but they are bad. They have shown trash piling up on the streets, power outages, local stores closing or not being able to get supplies. It may not be enough for you, but for me, they have shown enough to give me an idea of things getting bad. Will there always be exceptions? Sure, and it happens that our main characters live in that world of exception, what sprinkles their world and seems to be starting to creep into their world is what is going on outside of it. While I get what people say when they want “more” of what is going on with the outside world, if that isn’t important or distracts from what Esmail envisions in his big picture, I don’t mind it. This is just something we’re the two sides will agree to disagree ;) 
    I agree, personally I don't think the show is missing anything for not delving into the details...there's enough there for the viewer to draw their own conclusions.  In many ways, it's better to have the viewer trying to imagine the impact rather than showing it.  Ultimately though, the show isn't about the consequences - it's about the process, it's more character driven than plot driven.  To me the compelling thing is witnessing Elliot's struggle with himself...not in worrying about the precise details of how the crash effected a the average person (and I think there's enough on screen for us to extrapolate those details if we cared to).
    Considering Esmail “hates” plot, I would agree and it’s shown in the show ;) I don’t need the minutea of what is happening outside to everyday people, because to me that would drag things down and we’d get complaints about going away from main characters. 
    ElisaCretanBull
  • Part of the problem is that they haven't clearly set the what the stakes are for "stage 2" - feels much too ephemeral. They also haven't defined what the major characters need/want from Stage 2. This season would be more successful, imo, if some of this was more clear. 
    GredalBeeGeorge
  • LucasLucas Milwaukee
    I must be the weird person who likes season 1, 2 and 3.  All equally and for different reason.  I think it's because Esmail has such an indie director's touch on the show, including directing every single episode, which is never done for TV.  So its more like 3 distinct movies for me.  I like the realness of season 1, and the high tension mystery of the somewhat breaking bad feel, how will they get out of this jam, style plot.  Season 2, I completely changed my lens of the show and just saw it for a wonderfully shot piece of art with amazing music and, of course, alf.  It was more like an indie movie that's about feeling and emotion and the episode to episode high tension plot not really mattering as much.  And for season 3, this is kind of a mixture of both season 1 and season 2.  There is more of a plot, but nothing necessarily page turning.  There is more artistic style than season 1.  And they are heavily hinting at a huge sci-fy mystery or scheme or dream or time travel or something.  Basically I have been along for the ride the entire time because I have no expectations but to be entertained each season and I guess Esmail knows how to make entertainment I like in a couple different ways.
    ElisaCretanBullReni
  • Fantastic episode, making me crave for more commercial-less episodes 
    Elisa
  • adobo1148 said:
    Love how Elliot had the older woman pegged as tech deficient, DOLT!!!!!!!
    Well she was sniffing whiteout (or possibly glue) so what give him a little bit of a break. He just didn’t know there was an OG Donna working there. 
  • Who just sits around sniffing whiteout?
    Elisa
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Who just sits around sniffing whiteout?
    If I had a cube job at some soulless mega-corp, I probably would.
    KingKobraElisa
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited November 10
    Alkaid13 said:
    Fantastic episode, making me crave for more commercial-less episodes 
    Yes! I was so immersed didn't even register the lack or commercials until it ended, so good.
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Who just sits around sniffing whiteout?
    Maybe things at home aren’t as good as they appear...of course if you’re in a male dominated field and know your shit, but still get stuck in a low to
    mid level job that may do it too.