Star Wars Longevity: Compared to Current Franchises and Beyond

edited November 10 in Movies
Regarding recent announcements:

Kathleen Kennedy Discusses the Next 10 Years of Star Wars 

"We’re sitting down now, we’re talking about the next ten years of Star Wars stories, and we’re looking at narratively where that might go. Future stories beyond Episode IX with these new characters: Rey, Poe, Finn, BB-8. But we’re also looking at working with people that are interested in coming into the Star Wars world and taking us to places that we haven’t been yet. And that’s exciting too because its a vast galaxy far, far away, so the possibilities are endless."

and

Rian Johnson to Direct "Entirely-New" Star Wars Trilogy

"Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.” -K. Kennedy

Do you think that the Star Wars Cinematic Universe has the longevity of the Marvel Cinematic Universe? "Cinematic Universes" are a new concept, of which Marvel is currently king. So my question is, "Does a Star Wars Cinematic Universe have the same legs as the Marvel Cinematic Universe?"

I love Star Wars and plenty of the (now disavowed) EU novels, but I feel that the MCU has more "main" characters to work with, whereas Star Wars is more bound to a single storyline/group of characters.

What do you think?
Frakkin T

Comments

• To your point about the "main" character issue; I think the recent Rian Johnson move is meant to combat this problem. With the new trilogy being unconnected and a television series (please one be old republic based) in the coming years the number of influential characters should be on the rise. I think this will help to give Star Wars the legs for a long time. I am interested to see the current trilogy will wrap up and how/if it will be continued in later movies. It sounds like Star Wars is going to move away from the "Skywalker saga" films in next few years, which should expand the universe. 

With all the success Disney has had with the MCU I wouldn't be surprised if they take a similar approach with Star Wars. If there is any truth to the idea that the super hero movie fad will fade, could the Star Wars universe eventually out pace the MCU?
    darwinfeeshy
  • Personally I think the “unknown” characters will be what prolongs the series if done right. The ability to expand away from your main story and still be successful is never easy. I think Rogue One was a real test for Disney to see if SW could do well without the main characters being involved heavily. If you have a good script, actors, SFX I don’t think people will miss the main characters at all. 
    darwinfeeshy
  • It will be very interesting to see how Star wars survives once it stops focusing on the "Skywalker saga". The Skywalkers have been the backbone of the series from day one.

Contrast that with Marvel Comics, which, just by virtue of the medium, has very diverse and separate characters/storylines.

• akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I'm not into either of these genres. However, I like some films and TV shows of every genre.  I've seen Marvel things I liked and disliked. I've never seen a Star Wars thing that I liked. I just don't get the appeal. It's so thin to me. So I would like to see it go away fur-ever. Doesn't look like I am going to get my wish, though!!
    darwinfeeshy