Uncle George Takei - say it ain’t so!!

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    At this point Hollywood should probably just release a list of non-offenders. It’ll probably be about 10 names. 
    JaimieThypergenesb
  • This wasn’t really surprising based upon an answer he gave on a recent Howard Stern appearance. 
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    KingKobra said:
    This wasn’t really surprising based upon an answer he gave on a recent Howard Stern appearance. 
    Oh I missed when he was on... 
  • This is sad, but I refuse to be shocked any more.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    The guy who shares memes about consent on Twitter and Facebook is a rapist? Yikes. On the other hand, my concern that Hollywood was just going to offer up token sacrifices appears unfounded. Clean sweep time. 
  • In the interest of Much needed levity I predict Shatner to be accused of similar lecherous behavior, maybe Brett Spiner, Frakes for sure.
  • Im truly sorry if my  comment is callous, im in a state of Fatigue over the issue. But the fact is the behavior is wrong no matter when it happened or who's accused. Goddamit men keep your fucking hands to yourself already!!!!!!! :s
  • Here’s his response he posted to Facebook:

“Friends,

I'm writing to respond to the accusations made by Scott R. Brunton. I want to assure you all that I am as shocked and bewildered at these claims as you must feel reading them.

The events he describes back in the 1980s simply did not occur, and I do not know why he has claimed them now. I have wracked my brain to ask if I remember Mr. Brunton, and I cannot say I do. But I do take these claims very seriously, and I wanted to provide my response thoughtfully and not out of the moment.

Right now it is a he said / he said situation, over alleged events nearly 40 years ago. But those that know me understand that non-consensual acts are so antithetical to my values and my practices, the very idea that someone would accuse me of this is quite personally painful.

Brad, who is 100 percent beside me on this, as my life partner of more than 30 years and now my husband, stands fully by my side. I cannot tell you how vital it has been to have his unwavering support and love in these difficult times.

Thanks to many of you for all the kind words and trust. It means so much to us. 

Yours in gratitude,

George”
    adobo1148
    I just read his response and now I am thoroughly confused and don’t know what to think. He wrote exactly what I thought when I read the accusations last night... I always believe accusers when it comes to rape/sexual abuse allegations but this one was hard to swallow... I simply don’t know what to think! It just seems SO non-george takei. 

Disappointed and sad...
    russkelly
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited November 11
    Sigh. What a let down.  I’ve loved following George on FB, mostly for his silly puns relating to the articles he shares, but also because he’s always been sort of a leader on the right side of current social issues.  He could have done something really good and powerful here to advance this movement instead of digging his heels in.  (unintended pun)

I like how Alec Baldwin was proactive.  He beat everyone to the punch and said - hey I’m guilty of having been a sexist prick in the past. I was wrong and I want this to change in Hollywood and in society.  That was smart in my opinion and it focused on positive change.

TaraC73
  • TaraC73 said:
    I just read his response and now I am thoroughly confused and don’t know what to think. He wrote exactly what I thought when I read the accusations last night... I always believe accusers when it comes to rape/sexual abuse allegations but this one was hard to swallow... I simply don’t know what to think! It just seems SO non-george takei. 

Disappointed and sad...
    He was on HS 10/16 I don’t remember where they discussed Weinstein though, but Howard asked George about doing similar things, and his response was “sketchy”. I wouldn’t go as far as saying he did what he is accused of, but I’m not sure he’s totally “innocent” either. 
    KingKobra said:
    TaraC73 said:

Disappointed and sad...
    He was on HS 10/16 I don’t remember where they discussed Weinstein though, but Howard asked George about doing similar things, and his response was “sketchy”. I wouldn’t go as far as saying he did what he is accused of, but I’m not sure he’s totally “innocent” either. 
    Interesting... I’ll have to dig around see if I can find a transcript.
  • Dee said:
    At this point Hollywood should probably just release a list of non-offenders. It’ll probably be about 10 names. 
    Bryan Cranston will be one of the 10 on the ''non-offenders' - or - I will be distraught. 
    Dee
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    tom_g said:
    Dee said:
    Bryan Cranston will be one of the 10 on the ''non-offenders' - or - I will be distraught. 

Tom Hanks. Kenneth Branagh. 

It's interesting that us having these beloved celebrities is one reason they can hide so well. 
    TaraC73
    Tom Hanks is one that, yesterday afternoon, I could have unequivocally said he is a good guy and would never do anything like this... but in my eyes he is (well, was) on an equal moral level as George Takei.

now, who the hell knows. (And I realize it is all subjective, who people admire...) 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I've seen how George Takei treated Shatner. Not that Shatner isn't an asshole, but it takes another asshole to go that public with it and fire back. Just different kinds of ego. So I've never thought he was a teddy bear...
  • JaimieT said:
    I've seen how George Takei treated Shatner. Not that Shatner isn't an asshole, but it takes another asshole to go that public with it and fire back. Just different kinds of ego. So I've never thought he was a teddy bear...
    Not picking sides (I know every little about their spat) but Shatner is famous for being a prick.
    TaraC73
  • Well if there’s one good thing to come out of this it will be the clean out of a large majority of scumbags from Hollywood, perhaps from now on they’ll be enticed to have more broad hiring practices and stop just promoting asshole men to positions they can abuse others from. 
    TaraC73
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited November 11
    I mean, maybe if Hollywood looked less white and male there would still be these kinds of problems, but you know, the previous approach hasn’t seemed to work so far so maybe try something else for a change. Just a suggestion. 
    TaraC73
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    The commenters on ONTD (celebrity gossip site) are largely leaning toward “not surprised” on this one and implying that he has form, though nothing concrete has been stated. Quite a few of them work in/hobnob in the industry, so maybe there have been stories around that just haven’t made it to the wider public? 
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    edited November 11
    Alkaid13 said:
    Well if there’s one good thing to come out of this it will be the clean out of a large majority of scumbags from Hollywood, perhaps from now on they’ll be enticed to have more broad hiring practices and stop just promoting asshole men to positions they can abuse others from. 
    Maybe they can start hiring virtuous people who aren't moral relativist perverts. I would say Mike Pence would be a pretty safe director to hire, after receiving so much sh!t from moral relativists over his adherence to the Graham rule maybe it's time to re-examine that. 

It it seems a massive problem is people who literally do not believe in personal boundaries, or respect for other people, or personal appearances especially as related to sex. 
  • Way to shoe horn Mike Pence into this conversation 
    cdriveKingKobrahisdudeness915TaraC73akritenbrink
  • Dee said:
    The commenters on ONTD (celebrity gossip site) are largely leaning toward “not surprised” on this one and implying that he has form, though nothing concrete has been stated. Quite a few of them work in/hobnob in the industry, so maybe there have been stories around that just haven’t made it to the wider public? 
    I think a lot of the recent “not surprised” are due to some of his appearances on Howard Stern (especially his October appearance). We may just be seeing a shift in perception where people just go to the “not surprised” instead of “surprised” feeling. 
    DeeSomeBiscuit
  • Indeed. We should be well beyond that now - it's been (very clearly) established that many men in the industry are predators, harassers, and abusers, and that just because a man outwardly appears to be nice, or a feminist, doesn't mean that he isn't guilty of it as well. There are names that could come out now that would disappoint me, but there are none that would surprise me.
    hypergenesb
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Well if there’s one good thing to come out of this it will be the clean out of a large majority of scumbags from Hollywood, perhaps from now on they’ll be enticed to have more broad hiring practices and stop just promoting asshole men to positions they can abuse others from. 
    Maybe they can start hiring virtuous people who aren't moral relativist perverts. I would say Mike Pence would be a pretty safe director to hire, after receiving so much sh!t from moral relativists over his adherence to the Graham rule maybe it's time to re-examine that. 

It it seems a massive problem is people who literally do not believe in personal boundaries, or respect for other people, or personal appearances especially as related to sex. 

No, it's not time to re-examine that. The solution to sexual harassment is not to block women from certain meetings. The burden of dealing with sexual assault should not fall upon women.
    And I would say that it is specially misguided and partisan to try to use Mike Pence's refusal to meet women as an example in a thread about a claim of sexual assault by a man against another man.
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    edited November 12
    Alkaid13 said:

No, it's not time to re-examine that. The solution to sexual harassment is not to block women from certain meetings. The burden of dealing with sexual assault should not fall upon women. platitude that is totally irrelevant, since no one suggested such a thing
    And I would say that it is specially misguided and partisan to try to use Mike Pence's refusal to meet women Refusal to be alone with women, with whom he has no personal relationships. totally differentas an example in a thread about a claim of sexual assault by a man against another man. A story that came to light against a backdrop of various other stories. 

• When you say that powerful men can only meet one on one with other men but not with women, you are putting the burden of dealing with sexual assault on women.

If a man can't trust himself to be alone with a woman, the solution is for that man to step down, not for that man to block women (but not men) from one on one meetings.

Which, again, is a bizarre derail in a thread about a man assaulting another man.
    CretanBulljeneteeFlukesDemic