Remembrance Day / Veteran's Day

CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
edited November 12 in General
It's Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth countries.  I just wanted to create a thread where we can express our gratitude to those who served, I know that there are at least a few Bald Movers who have put their lives on the line for the rest of us.  Thank you.

(Please be respectful in this thread.  If you'd like to debate the merits of military service etc start your own thread please!)

FlashGordonFlukesJaimieT

Comments

• My grandfather, World War II veteran, landed on Juno Beach on D-Day, helped to liberate Holland.

FlashGordonFlukescdriveJaimieT
  • Also just realized that it's Veteran's Day in America.  My gratitude isn't limited to Commonwealth veterans :)
    cdrive
  • “Lest we forget”
    CretanBulldarwinfeeshyFlashGordon
  • Just got back from a service at the Cenotaph a good couple of thousand people there, with barely a dry eye around when the last post played.

Had a great grandad who served in WW1 and died later from the injuries, my Grandad was a paratrooper and fought in WW2, my brother served as a marine in Afghanistan, I feel i've not even nearly come close to doing anything really.

'They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them.'
    CretanBull
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I went on a school trip to the Somme when I was 18 and nearly ten years later I think about it a lot. It’s one thing to see the huge grave sites on the TV, but it’s a totally different experience to be there in person.
    CretanBullFlukesFlashGordon
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    edited November 12
    Also just realized that it's Veteran's Day in America.  My gratitude isn't limited to Commonwealth veterans :)
    Well just for the Canadians here, is a photograph I took of the World War 1 plaque at the BC Legislative Building

FlukesCretanBullFlashGordon
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    My grandfather, World War II veteran, landed on Juno Beach on D-Day, helped to liberate Holland.

My Great Grandfather, whom I was privelaged to have a personal relationship with and lived into my early adulthood, was a veteran of the campaign in Italy. After coming home from the War he started a little league baseball program that now covers all of Western Washington. 

FlukesCretanBullcdrive
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited November 12
    My grandfather, World War II veteran, landed on Juno Beach on D-Day, helped to liberate Holland.

My Great Grandfather, whom I was privelaged to have a personal relationship with and lived into my early adulthood, was a veteran of the campaign in Italy. After coming home from the War he started a little league baseball program that now covers all of Western Washington. 

That's really cool - what a wonderful legacy for someone from the 'Greatest Generation' :)
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    My Grandpa, RIP, gave up the ghost at 80yrs old.  He was Chief Master Sergeant in the Air Force and was a Navigator serving in WWII, Korean War and Vietnam.  Biggest M*A*S*H fan I ever knew.  He was a reserved, easy-going guy with a good sense of humor.  Deep into Texas History and ancestry,  you’ll frequently see his name credited to lots of history in the central Texas area.  That was his main hobby after serving decades as County Judge. Love you, Grandpa.  Miss you dude.

CretanBullJaimieT
  • cdrive said:
    My Grandpa, RIP, gave up the ghost at 80yrs old.  He was Chief Master Sergeant in the Air Force and was a Navigator serving in WWII, Korean War and Vietnam.  Biggest M*A*S*H fan I ever knew.  He was a reserved, easy-going guy with a good sense of humor.  Deep into Texas History and ancestry,  you’ll frequently see his name credited to lots of history in the central Texas area.  That was his main hobby after serving decades as County Judge. Love you, Grandpa.  Miss you dude.

I say this with the utmost respect - your grandfather had a look about him that makes me think not many people wanted to mess with him!

cdriveFlashGordon