Amazon buys Lord of the Rings rights

Pretty nuts, ~$200 million just for the rights to make a TV series out of LotR. Apparently it's going to start as a prequel to Fellowship.

Not sure how I feel about this. But I guess I'll wait to see who they get to run it and what their ideas are (Silmarillion??). I do think there is potential to do something new and interesting with the serial format. I just hope they don't try to make Thrones rip-off.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-the-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-multi-season-commitment-1202207065/

Elisapicorock80BrawnJovial_Falcon

Comments

• I can see the “complaints” already. Too much like GoT, yadda yadda yadda. I’ll for sure give it a chance, but I’m todays age, I can see people cramping on this for months before it comes out hedging their bets. 
    Elisa
  • I guess Sauron's fortress will be 100% copper now.
    BrawnTaraC73
  • Lots of great stories in the Simarillion. I’m excited. You can get at least 2 10 episode Seasons out of just the Similarillion.
    ElisaBrawn
  • I thought the prequel was called The Hobbit? :)
    TaraC73
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I am a huge LOTR fan, and I have a deep love for the movies and about the first 45 minutes of the first Hobbit movie (yes, you read right.)

I know some people are so damn protective of their nostalgic shit, but honestly, I am interested to see what others do with the material. I would have loved to see what Del Toro would have done with Hobbit, but sadly, that never was. So anyone else who feels they can take on this universe can go for it. I have always felt the only way to adapt the Silmarillion is with like animation or abstract filmmaking - but we shall see....
    BrawnElisa
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Dear god, are they trying to make the most boring TV show in the history of television????
    TaraC73
  • edited November 14
    This is strange. I have no idea what this show is gonna be. It says it's a prequel to Fellowship, set in Middle Earth. Are they trying to ape Game of Thrones (more political intrigue, surprising deaths, etc.)?

Also, do you think that this will be a new story, not covered in the books/Silmarillion?
  • I'll be down for it. I don't know anything from the books and most of my knowledge about pre-LOTR is from the Middle Earth video game which I thought was a damn good story. I doubt that is cannon but either way sounds interesting.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    As deep and rich as the world building in LOTR goes, does anybody really care about anything that doesn't have a direct tie to the main story? Is there any story they can tell that they couldn't maybe tell even better without the LOTR license as pervasive as all those fantasy tropes are now? Elves and orcs and dudes and hobbits don't give you a ton to go off of unless you shove Gandalf and some vaguely powerful ring stuff in there. Maybe it'll be great but I can't see it and it feels like nobody was asking for it.
    darwinfeeshy
  • I would like the story of Bergen and Luthien, if it was told right. 

And Maeghar One Hand was cool. 

I feel like if they really stick to the highlights of the Sons of Faenor and the fall of Doriath it could be pretty badass. 

Also, we’ve only ever seen Elves in their waning, I would love to see Fingolfin. 
    MrXElisaJaimieT
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited November 15
    gjulleen said:
    I would like the story of Bergen and Luthien, if it was told right. 

And Maeghar One Hand was cool. 

I feel like if they really stick to the highlights of the Sons of Faenor and the fall of Doriath it could be pretty badass. 

Also, we’ve only ever seen Elves in their waning, I would love to see Fingolfin. 
    Two words:

Tom Bombadil

Beren and Luthien would be dope though, love that story.
    gjulleenElisa
  • edited November 16
    In tandem with this, Christopher Tolkien resigned as director of the Tolkien Estate. 

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2017/11/15/104426-in-historic-move-christopher-tolkien-resigns-as-director-of-tolkien-estate/

“With Christopher’s departure as an officer of the Tolkien Estate (which was incorporated in 2011), the long-awaited “rights frenzy” for Tolkien properties may soon begin ... This is a definite piece of the puzzle of the recent news of the Amazon Video deal. I had heard through rock solid, but not reportable sources several years ago that other members of the estate were much more willing to negotiate J.R.R. Tolkien’s properties while Christopher was far more interested in preserving legacy than money."
    Elisa
  • Wow, that made me sad.  I wanted to see what Amazon would do with Tolkien, but if Christopher's out...

JRR Tolkien is one of my all time heroes, it would be devastating if they reduced his works to something meant to ape GRR Martin, Rowling and other fantasy writers.  I mean, I love the works of Martin and Rowling, but Tolkien had such a sweetness at the base of his works, you don't see it very much in popular writings now.

I can't remember the exact quote, but in one of his writings he said something like "Evil is never good for having been, but great good can work itself through evil."  In other words, yes, we have medical improvements every time we go to war.  That doesn't mean war is good, it means good is so powerful it will rend itself out of evil.  The things that break you are not okay, and you don't have to be grateful for them; but you can be grateful for the resultant greatness you get from those experiences.

I'm sorry, I don't want to derail the topic, I really don't.  Its just that I think of something or other of the stuff I've gotten out of Tolkien almost every day, his works are very important to me.  Seeing them done well would be so awesome.  Seeing them take his characters and try to shoehorn them into a Westerosi background would break my heart.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Oh crap Chris Tolkien resigned. Guess I’m super skeptical now. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    FWIW, the Maple Films fan edit of the Hobbit is awesome and saved that movie (yes, singular) for me. It's almost perfect. 
  • Elisa said:
    Oh crap Chris Tolkien resigned. Guess I’m super skeptical now. 
    I wasn't sure if you were joking or not :D

It just makes me nervous because Christopher has been such a good steward of his father's work, and you could tell it mattered more to him than how much money he could milk out of it.  He spent longer compiling and editing the Silmarillion than many authors spend writing their own books.

I'm not really skeptical, just really hopeful and a little apprehensive.
    ElisaMrX
  • I don't quite know how I feel about this but I will 100% give it a chance.  I'm curious what exactly they are going to be covering in this.