711 - Great Again

Director: Jennifer Lynch
Writer: Tim Minear

Comments

• Interesting end to this season. We got rid of Kai and I guess the Solanas “cult” will live on through Aly. It seems Bebe’s plan did work in the end, she just didn’t see it come to fruition. I did like this season, but I have a feeling people will be confused by the ending which I assume was meant to connect Aly to Bebe who also wore the hooded cape when she was introduced. A little sloppy, but when isn’t AHS sloppy at some point. I am hoping we get another season, but with ratings hitting series lows (could be subject matter as well) not sure if we will get that lucky. 
    alina_macElisa
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    edited November 15
    I don't know, maybe it should have ended after Hotel. Combined with last season, these two have gotten pretty far away from the spirit and tone of the first 5. I watched every episode this year and was interested and sometimes creeped out, but it never sucked me in and horrified me. 

When I watch AHS, I want one central location, at least a dozen main and supporting characters, a few monsters, a heavy dose of progressive politics, and some truly insane moments that are shocking and cool enough that you don't mind that the plot kinda falls apart if you think too much about it. (Like in Freakshow when NPH showed up just long enough to saw Emma Roberts in half while everyone watched.) Cult ultimately was too small, too grounded in reality, and way too obtuse with its political message. Give me Dandy or The Countess any day of the week over this crew. 

alina_macElisa
  • I really enjoyed the season (ending included), but it took me about 5 minutes and a check of the reddit discussion thread to figure out what the hell the ending meant. Maybe a little too subtle, or I'm just dumb. Might have had a little more impact for me if I would have been able to put two and two together right away to understand that Ally was continuing on with SCUM in Bebe's footsteps.
    Elisa
  • Definitely the worst season yet. 
    Didn't care about any of the characters (except maybe Oz)
    I really don't know what the whole point of it was. The fact that it pulled so much from reality made it feel really cheesy because everything was so superficial. 
    I also found the music was really bad. The music is one of the things I enjoyed a lot from each season but this time it fell flat for me. The characters didn't make sense to me, a lot of their behaviours seemed asinine, and I really missed the supernatural elements of previous seasons. I don't believe in the supernatural but I think AHS always did it really well and it helped allow for some weird, creepy, absurd storylines. When you rely on reality for a story, you need to try a little harder to make sure that things make sense and that definitely didn't happen with this season.
    Also, the flashback to Ally teaming up with the FBI was a real WTF moment for me. It felt super cheap. 
    I really hope the next season goes back to AHS roots. 

And totally agree with you @Frakkin T Dandy & the Countess FTW. 

Frakkin Tgguenotalina_mac
  • edited November 16
    Looks like Charlie is in a CA prison hospital, clinging to life. Talk about perfect timing, as far as coinciding with the end of this season. I'd also like to correct something Cecily said on a recent podcast: he did not physically kill anyone himself, he just ordered the killings. Not to negate how evil he is, but just a technicality.
  • Not sure what the point of the season was 
    Frakkin T
  • Jamie91Jamie91 Pennsylvania
    While this season had many good moments, it is not why I watch AHS. And just a few days out from the finale, I don't think the writers had enough time to reflect on the aftermath of the 2016 election. The end played as some sort of liberal fantasy--but even as a liberal myself--it stings rather than placates.
    It is rumored that AHS will end after season 9--it is renewed for two more seasons-- and I hope the last two are timely without being political.The show is at its best as a series of allegories about human suffering and frailty. But I prefer the more personal, remote seasons of the show--specifically Murder House and Roanoke. Call me old-fashioned, but give me a good ol' haunted house with some ghosts and ripped PiggyMan. 
    jkristElisa
  • alina_macalina_mac Akron, Ohio
    I think I liked it... I think the point of the season was: Every revolution ignites a counter-revolution, maybe?

My biggest problems with this season were the loose ends and plot holes (and not even the huge ones of the stupidity of some of Kai's plans). Where was Oz most of the time? Who is legally at fault for Speedwagon's death? Who is legally at fault for Kai's prison escape? Wouldn't the prison guard Gloria implicate Ally in Kai's escape? Would Beverly face charges for shooting the unarmed Kai on live TV? What are Ally's motivations to participate in SCUM now that she's a US senator and can actual make real political change???

ElisaJamie91
  • alina_mac said:
    I think I liked it... I think the point of the season was: Every revolution ignites a counter-revolution, maybe?

My biggest problems with this season were the loose ends and plot holes (and not even the huge ones of the stupidity of some of Kai's plans). Where was Oz most of the time? Who is legally at fault for Speedwagon's death? Who is legally at fault for Kai's prison escape? Wouldn't the prison guard Gloria implicate Ally in Kai's escape? Would Beverly face charges for shooting the unarmed Kai on live TV? What are Ally's motivations to participate in SCUM now that she's a US senator and can actual make real political change???

I was wondering about Beverly shooting Kai while he was “unarmed” but I think she would get a pass because at that point he basically created a hostage situation 
    Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited November 17
    I haven’t watched any of this season as I hated the last two, but I’ve listened to all the podcast. The show sounds even more bonkers without  the context of actually seeing it, but somehow more entertaining. 

On a sidenote, I wish @Cecily and I liked more of the same shows, as I don’t watch any of the ones she podcasts, but she is such a delight to listen to. 
    KingKobra