Star Trek The Next Generation: BEST EPISODE EVER, Best Worf Episode, Best Data Episode, Etc.

edited March 2015 in Other TV
For me, the one episode I always go back to is Emergence, or The Chase. Both challenge our definition of life, how we define consciousness, and how those perceptions affect self identity. Christ that sounded gasbaggy!!!! I also love how those episodes touch on those themes without using one of the characters as foundation for the episode. Dont get me wrong i love how Data and Worf were often used as foils for how we view humanity, but those were specifc to the arcs of those characters. Emergence and The Chase challeenged the viewer to imagine life on a larger scale. Ugh more gasbagginess!!!

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I can't name one single TNG episode, but for me it boils down to Q episodes and Borg episodes.
  • Hard to disagree, For me the Best Q episode is when he loses his powers, because at the end of the episode when he gets them back, he reumes his obnoxious antics with a Mariachi Band and making Data laugh.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited March 2015
    That would be Deja Q!  Scene here:  
    My absolute favorite episode is "Data's Day".  The scene where Crusher teaches Data to dance, kills me every time. 
    I have an encycleopedic knowledge when it comes to TNG, and I have the Technical Manuals to prove it.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    @A_Ron_Hubbard funny you should say Data's Day; one of my all-time favorites is the very next episode in the season, "The Wounded," about a Starfleet captain who is going around murdering Cardassians and jeopardizing the peace treaty. Great performances from guest star Bob Gunton and Colm Meaney (O'Brien)

I also like the big ones: The Best of Both Worlds, Descent, All Good Things
    And who could forget Chain of Command, when Ronny Cox (aka the evil white guy from every 80s movie ever) takes over the Enterprise while Picard is being held hostage by a renegade Cardassian
  • Two of the best Picard moments: chain of command, when he tells the Cardassian torturing him " You called me Picard"
  • Menage a troi, when Picard fights for Luxanna to save her from the ferengi
    Oh yeah, the Luxanna episodes are right up there with the Q ones for comedy.  I highly recommend the Peter David TNG novel "Q-in-Law", that explores an engagement between the two. 
  • I absolutely love "All Good Things...".  It's the perfect way to end that series, IMO.  We've talked about it somewhere before; maybe on a LWJ&A or Q&A podcast.  "Chain of Command", as mentioned, is another amazing one - "THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!"
  • Best Picard Badass moment from The Defector, "Shall we Die Together." Close second would be from The Mind's Eye, when Picard busts out his Klingon when he and the federation are accused of aiding rebels.
    @JaimieT, your input is needed.
    If we're going for awesome Picard episodes, who can forget "Darmok".  Hardly a month goes by that one of us doesn't thrown a "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" the other's way.  And hey, Ashley Judd.
  • Shaka when the walls fell on my fucking head for forgetting that.......That was serious badass!!!!!!!!!
  • Ashley judd or Ensign lefler i recall, Chances Wesley Hit That?
  • Not before Riker probably, BTW how often were replicators used to produce condoms, or was birth control perfected to such a degree by the 24th century that accidental births could be treated with a hypospray?
    I don't think a hypospray would be enough to treat an accidental birth--maybe an accidental pregnancy. ;)
    Cory
  • Pregnancy i meant my bad
    Frakkin T
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    All Good Things is probably my favourite episode (loved it as a finale for that series), and have to mention The Inner Light for a Picard episode.
    Frakkin T
  • Has there been talk of another STTNG movie, was so disappointed with Nemesis,
    I doubt it.  For one thing, Spiner said he'll never do Data again, because he's aged out of the role.  At this point, I'm waiting for the reboot.  :D
  • CG Data.  If they can do it with Keanu, Jeff Bridges and Arnold Schvawfnfrewegger, they can surely make Data work.

Alternatively, they could take the cast of the Star Trek reboots and make JJ Abrams do a TV show with them.
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    I think some of the best Data/Geordi episodes are when they're holodecking as Holmes/Watson. Inner Light is by far the best Picard episode, in my opinion.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA

@JaimieT, your input is needed.

Lol, that's what I was thinking when I saw this thread title.

My favorite episode is Tapestry. But this is very much my favorite episode, and not the episode that I think is the best episode. I'm amazed to have gotten a Q episode that took Q so seriously, and took Q's fascination with Picard so seriously.

All Good Things is probably the best episode.

I have great respect for Lower Decks.

And a fondness for The Game.

When I was a kid, a favorite episode was Conundrum. Why? Looking at the synopsis, I suspect it's one of the terrible ones. I don't think I can watch it again...
    Ah, tapestry.  How many times have Jim and I said "you talk and talk, but have no GRAMBAH!" at each other?
    Well never on the podcast that I've heard. STAT.
    You know, we hardly ever reference Star Trek or Star Wars on the casts.  I can only think of a handful of times... I might be subconsciously toning down my geek flag or something, either that or staying away from the toooo inside jokes.  Hell, Bald Move is an elaborate (and lame) Trek pun.

For whatever reason this kinda stuff comes up more often at the gaming table than anything else.
    I get that. I hardly ever reference Star Trek in my life. And most of your casts have nothing to do with it, but the few times you do reference something, just know that I laughed really hard.

Back on topic, I seemingly just noticed the title of this thread....

Best Worf episode... Parallels.

Best Data episode... Data's Day.

Best Riker episode... Okay, this should be my inspiration to rewatch the show. It's gotta be there somewhere. As an adult watching the show, Jonathan Frakes is fucking phenomenal, but not the first character people latch onto. There are great Riker moments, but the Riker episodes that I can recall are... not good. Like the one in the psych ward. I remember hating that one. Maybe it went over my head. I recently rewatched The Pegasus and didn't love it. It was written by Ronald D. Moore, but it's the kind of political thing I don't think he does well, or maybe I've seen it too often from him. Since Better Call Saul has me thinking stakes, The Pegasus lacks stakes. You know Riker will never betray Picard. It would break the show.

Riker, great character. Did they really fail to give him a great episode? Am I missing something, Movers?
    edited March 2015
    One of my favorites is the one where a poisoned vine bites, him, which goes into a big clip show.  But I really like the moment where he tells the story about his grandfather getting bit by a snake.  "After 3 days of intense pain.  The snake dies."  That Riker.  "Shades of Grey".
    WarpFox
    BTW, have you guys seen any of the old school DJO dubs?  There are a ton of them, and I for one think they're hilarious.  Example:  

And then there is this:  

trippy
    Oh my god, we just spent 30 minutes watching Trek bloopers.  Somebody help us.