Crypts of Winterfell

The Starks are all buried in the crypts beneath winterfell. In the show they all have statues of them, but I believe in the book it's only the kings and lords of winterfell that get statues. They also have (very specifically) iron swords on their laps to keep "vengeful spirits at bay". (I'm totally on board with the idea that the Night King was a stark, and the the starks and the white walkers are somehow connected, though that's all long forgotten.) We also know that Bran, Meera, Osha and Hodor took a sword from the crypts when they fled winterfell (Uncle Brandon, Neds, and grandpa Lord Rickard, and a much older rusted one, respectively). 

These iron swords are brought up multiple times, through multiple books, and I think there's something to them, especially to the fact that four have been removed, thus freeing vengeful spirits... does anyone remember any other mention of it, or any other mention of iron's use in magic in the GOT universe? 

Basically, I'm hoping that the statues come to life when the walkers come to winterfell and help protect the current starks :). Thoughts? is this an existing theory already?

Comments

• Don’t see it happening as there is no precedent for it in the show (or books that I know of). The only dark spirit we have seen is the shadow monster birthed by Milisandre. I would personally think that we will see a lot less new things and the pieces we do have are what will be used to finish out the show. 
  • The entire series is about dead people coming back to life through mysterious magic....
  • The entire series is about dead people coming back to life through mysterious magic....
    You said statues in your OP, there is no precedent for that. If you are talking about the bones of those that have died? I still don’t see that happening. Who’s magic will bring the people from the crypts? 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    KingKobra said:
    The entire series is about dead people coming back to life through mysterious magic....
    You said statues in your OP, there is no precedent for that. If you are talking about the bones of those that have died? I still don’t see that happening. Who’s magic will bring the people from the crypts? 
    George R.R. Martin's?

I don't see it happening either though.
  • I've also been interested in the crypts for different reasons. I wonder if there is something inside Lyanna Stark's crypt. Something that: proves Jon's parentage, a special weapon or will something magical that will make in difficult for the WW to enter Winterfell?

I haven' read the books so I'm just guessing. It feels like Winterfell is special to the Night King, and therefore fortified with special powers to hold the WW away.

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I think the crypts will play a part in the books, but in the show, they are established as more of an emotional place for characters to have meaningful conversations than the arguably more mythological purpose they serve in the books.

Winterfell is crucial to the Long Night, though -- I mean, the name alone, and the specialness of the Starks -- even though the show has not really developed the magical significance of Winterfell. But who knows, the show might introduce that in S8.
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    At this point the only role the crypts serve is as a hiding place.

The show did the books some good and some bad. My feeling is they really nailed the crypts of winterfell
  • I don't remember if we found out what happened to the swords - I just assumed when I read it that Bran etc had taken them when they escaped - but now I can't remember if they were carrying swords.  If they didn't take them I wonder if we will find out what happened to them.  Interesting!