Justice league spoilers

About to head to the movie hope this is good just want to start a thread for this what did y’all think?

Comments

• I loved it!
    Murderbear
  • edited November 2017
    I was blown away by how bad the CGI and how unintelligible the action was in this movie. There were so many times where I could just not tell what the fuck was happening. The whole thing was like watching someone play a video game for 2 hours and suck at it. 

I don’t think I’m going to find anything positive to say about a movie where my favorite part was when I got to go home. I don’t have the energy to be legitimately angry at WB, I’m just fucking exhausted at this point. I can’t in good conscience continue to go see these movies anymore.
    FreddyiMatty94
  • Just got out. Loved it. DC has a cgi villain problem, but a HUGE step in the right direction. Great team chemistry between the league.
    ksa1001rhcoopPhoebes89
  • edited November 2017
    Yeah, I thought it was good, you can definitely feel it was a forced cut version of the movie. There were moments where the transitions were harsh and when a scene ended it would have helped to stay on the characters a bit longer to fully take in their emotions (specifically when Barry visits his dad). The most jarring cut was going from the tarantula bat vehicle and then seeing Cyborg with the box, that was the only time where I was completely lost for a moment. I wish the executives or whoever the hell has the power to tell them to cut the runtime will take a step back, hopefully and extended cut is released. But overall yes they really have a great cast to portray the characters and there's a bunch of stuff for people who keep up with the comics. The dialogue from the villain was pretty bad though, I could barely understand him!
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I listened to the podcast cause I probably won't see this till it's in Redbox or on HBO but my question to those who have seen it, what is Clark Kent's explanation for being dead (and buried) in BvS but is all of a sudden alive and well again? Do they even address that?
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited November 2017
    I listened to the podcast cause I probably won't see this till it's in Redbox or on HBO but my question to those who have seen it, what is Clark Kent's explanation for being dead (and buried) in BvS but is all of a sudden alive and well again? Do they even address that?
    Yeah, it's the whole center of the film.

I liked the film a lot, but there is CLEARLY a longer cut. There were so many dropped plot points. Like in the tarantula scene, they make a point to show Barry getting shot in the leg. Big deal as his power is running fast right? Never mentioned again. WTF?!?

@A_Ron_Hubbard ; in the podcast you reference Seven Nation Army playing...it's Icky Thump (Both are White Stripes though)
    MurderbearrhcoopPhoebes89
  • There is some crucial component missing from all these DC films that keep them from being great films (and yes, that includes Wonder Woman). These movies feel like the Raimi Spider Mans. There's wayy too much studio fuckery with these DC movies, and it shows.

The biggest example of this was how they shoehorned Aquaman into this film. Why was he there? He did only one thing with water (blocking the flood while the rest of the team got in the nightcrawler). Other than that, he was just a strong dude with a trident. Also, how the hell are they gonna do an Aquaman movie when people need to be in air bubbles to talk?
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    One positive take from this movie. 
    It wasn't THAT long. Only nodded off a few times.
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    To me it was like your average x men movie. Just kind of accept a pretty bad plot, an ok villain, and cool action scenes. That's all it takes to make a decent comic book movie. I mean once you show superman and wonder woman kicking ass you pretty much save the movie.

but man I'm not a comic book nerd at all and was lost for so much of the movie. Cyborg, how'd he die/not die? What was his power? He kept evolving? I mean that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my confusion. But I don't wanna come off as a D.C. Hater too much.
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I really enjoyed it, it's not perfect, but I liked it better than Age of Ultron, SS and Ragnarok.  I liked AofU and Thor well enough, but I just don't enjoy watching those movies over and over like I used to. I think the MCU model is wearing on me and I've watched BvS & WW more than any of the other MCU movies lately. 

I think the WB exec forcing the actual run time under 2 hours hurt it and Tom Cruise/Paramount should be flogged for not letting Caville shave his mustache. 

Considering all of the development hell and what happened to Snyder, it's a solid film, not perfect, but good.  I thought Flash and Aquaman were good and I still enjoy the cast playing the main trinity.  They just need to keep going with this brighter direction. It looked recognizably as the current Rebirth DC Universe to me at the end of this movie. 

Even the most die hard of Marvel Zombies has to admit the part when Superman looks at the Flash while fighting off the rest at super speed was cool!  I thought Barry would pee himself.  

I'll probably see it again in the theater and I'm definitely excited for the director's cut. 
    WintersComingAfterFall
    ksa1001 said:
    Yeah, it's the whole center of the film.

I liked the film a lot, but there is CLEARLY a longer cut. There were so many dropped plot points. Like in the tarantula scene, they make a point to show Barry getting shot in the leg. Big deal as his power is running fast right? Never mentioned again. WTF?!?

@A_Ron_Hubbard ; in the podcast you reference Seven Nation Army playing...it's Icky Thump (Both are White Stripes though)
    The Flash has a sped up metabolism.  I'm sure that was cut from the movie, but in the comics and even the TV show he can heal from injuries pretty fast. Not Wolverine levels, but much faster than a regular dude.  
    Cory
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 2017
    Saw it. Whole bunch of meh. A sub Iron Man 2 level 
    Marvel movie. 

1. Didn’t care at all about the villain. That’s the second bad villain after Ares.  I’m sure all the origin stories hurt him. And I am sure those boxes are Jack Kirby originals, but he probably stole them from himself when he went from Marvel to DC. Why use them when Marvel has done an excellent job with the cube already and is going to be delving even deeper with Infinity Gauntlet?

2. I always thought of Green Lantern as an ultra core member of the Justice League. Am I wrong? Odd that GL wasn’t in it. 

3. Cyborg. A lot of meh. 

4.  Cecily and A Ron talk about DC stakes and scale being higher. I’ll grant that because traditionally the intergalactic conflict with Superman and GL and the Manhunter are a big deal. At the same time DC just has this cheese factor (outside of solo Batman and a few others) it has to try hard to escape. New version Aquaman and Flash were pretty good attempts, but figuring out how to incapacitate the big super Boy Scout is going to get old. 
    Saw it. Whole bunch of meh. A sub Iron Man 2 level 
    Marvel movie. 

1. Didn’t care at all about the villain. That’s the second bad villain after Ares.  I’m sure all the origin stories hurt him. And I am sure those boxes are Jack Kirby originals, but he probably stole them from himself when he went from Marvel to DC. Why use them when Marvel has done an excellent job with the cube already and is going to be delving even deeper with Infinity Gauntlet?

As far as Mother Boxes, they have a lot more to do than be mcguffins in the comics.  They are kind of like living computers and the New Gods and Darkseid's villains use them all the time.  I think the mandated 2 hr run time by WB execs hurt some of the exposition that would have occurred for Steppenwolf and the Mother Boxes and the 4th World concept in general.  I'm sure the extended version explains more.

I have read almost all of Kirby's Marvel and DC work and the mother boxes are their own thing.  He didn't have anything to do with the Infinity Gems. That was a Starlin concept.  The cosmic cube is a Kirby thing, but its really totally different than the mother boxes. The cosmic cube is more of a genie in a bottle.

I liked JLA like i've said above, but if you didn't like the keep away game in JLA, you're going to be frustrated with Infinity War, because that will be what that entire movie is going to be about.  That and Thanos probably massacring the entire MCU. 

Rumors are swirling Affleck wants out. I can't say I blame him. They also say Jake Gyllenhaal is the favorite to replace him. Yay? I mean, I got nothing against Jake but, meh. Seems like an uninspired choice if that all comes to pass.
  • Personally old and tired Dark Knight Returns Batman never struck me as Justice League Batman.  Those seem like different versions of the character.
    Murderbear
    Especially not at the birth of The Justice League.
    Doctor_Nick
  • I'm hopeful they'll do a better job with Thanos, though villains haven't been cinematic Marvel's forte. 

rhcoop said:

I liked JLA like i've said above, but if you didn't like the keep away game in JLA, you're going to be frustrated with Infinity War, because that will be what that entire movie is going to be about.  That and Thanos probably massacring the entire MCU. 

• I will start this off by saying I have not read any comic books period.  I went into seeing this movie with pretty low expectations and I was disappointed by it. 

- Personally Ben Affleck is a horrible Batman, but at the same time I don't see any replacement doing much better given what he was working with for his part in the movie.  On a side note Jeremy Irons as Alfred is awesome but that means absolutely nothing for the majority of the movie.

- All of the humor they tried to introduce into the movie just fell flat to me. Especially around the Flash. I found the comedy added by him just horrible and almost to the point of hard to watch.  I think the actor did a pretty good job with the role but I think the way they went with the character in this film was set up horribly.  The only part that I even chuckled at during this movie was when Aquaman was sitting on Wonder Woman's whip.  

- Like they mention in the podcast, Cyborg wasn't defined at all.  Throughout the entire movie you had no idea what he was capable of.

- Aquaman added nothing to the cast of Justice League.  He was in very few parts of it and the parts he was in he hardly added anything at all.  He stopped the water once which was cool but other than that he added almost nothing to the "team."  Jason Mamoa is capable of great work and he's a hilarious dude, had they used that to their strength I think he would have been a lot more memorable part of the movie.  At this point he's easily forgettable.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited November 2017
    Just watched it. Agree there’s a lot of problems with it. Most of the issues seem to be scenes cut for time. But there’s a few where it’s obvious they just got lazy or wanted to “be cool”.

Like they all knew Superman might behave weird if resurrected but they waited to bring Lois in. I loved the Pet Sematary stuff. Probsbly the funniest lines of the movie but why not have Lois be the first thing he sees when they knew he might come back fucked up? Because cool fighting scene. Which sucks. Overall it’s ok.
  • rhcoop said:
    I really enjoyed it, it's not perfect, but I liked it better than Age of Ultron, SS and Ragnarok.  I liked AofU and Thor well enough, but I just don't enjoy watching those movies over and over like I used to. I think the MCU model is wearing on me and I've watched BvS & WW more than any of the other MCU movies lately. 

I think the WB exec forcing the actual run time under 2 hours hurt it and Tom Cruise/Paramount should be flogged for not letting Caville shave his mustache. 

Considering all of the development hell and what happened to Snyder, it's a solid film, not perfect, but good.  I thought Flash and Aquaman were good and I still enjoy the cast playing the main trinity.  They just need to keep going with this brighter direction. It looked recognizably as the current Rebirth DC Universe to me at the end of this movie. 

Even the most die hard of Marvel Zombies has to admit the part when Superman looks at the Flash while fighting off the rest at super speed was cool!  I thought Barry would pee himself.  

I'll probably see it again in the theater and I'm definitely excited for the director's cut. 
    Agreed 100%, I was surprised by how much I liked this movie. I found all the characters to be very charming and believable in their respective roles. The jokes worked very well for me as well. I look forward to seeing it again in the theatre.