Punisher Podcast?

I know you guys are booked for the season but I've seen the first episode of The Punisher and Jon Bernthal is unsurprisingly metaphorically and literally packing heat. Hope we get a Bald Move TV out of this at least. 
Kela15

Comments

• Is this series set before the events of Daredevil Season 2? I’m not a fan of the Netflix Marvel stuff but I’m interested in checking it out just because of Bernthal. Just wondering if I need to watch Daredevil first. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have a Bald move TV on it. No way for a full cast treatment. 
  • Is this series set before the events of Daredevil Season 2? I’m not a fan of the Netflix Marvel stuff but I’m interested in checking it out just because of Bernthal. Just wondering if I need to watch Daredevil first. 
    It's set after but it's pretty ambiguous about the events of Daredevil. I don't think you need to see Daredevil first. 
    hisdudeness915
  • I’m really surprised by how incredibly good this show is. I was expecting 13 hours of John Wick which would have bored me to tears. Instead I’m getting Jason Bourne with a lot of commentary on America’s involvement in the Middle East, PTSD, the experiences of soldiers who return home from war, criminal intrigue within Homeland Security. 

This is blowing away every other Marvel Netflix series to date.
    HanaHeat1unreadziyingcElisa
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 2017
    Have you finished?  Because I thought a lot of Luke Cage up until about episode 6 or 7. There’s normally  a swoon at some point in these shows.

I haven't started watching, so this is actually a question. 
  • I never felt at any point that this season needed to be shorter, which is a thing that I normally feel around Episode 7 of these Netflix shows. 

There is so much going on in this show than I ever even imagined, and it’s all good. 
    m
    ziyingc
  • Just started but happy to see Detective Landsman from the Wire to show up in the veterans support group!
    GredalBeeFrakkin T
  • It's fun seeing Wire alumni on shows.  

Cutty made it all the way out to becoming a power broker in space.

Lieutenant Daniels changed departments and made it all the way to LAPD chief....
    GredalBeeFlukes
  • Felt like there was more time spent on each of: Micro complaining, Micro's family, drinking, and bashing a certain amendment and organization than The Punisher shooting bad guys. Call it The Origin of Micro with Special Guest The Punisher if that's what the show is going to be. Most of the dialog was weak and the characters were inconsistent from episode to episode. I also didn't care for the horror movie amount of gore, but I guess that's a modern convention. Amber Rose Revah and Deborah Ann Woll were bright spots.  If Marvel/Netflix find this kind of character problematic then make a show about a different one; don't make a bad show.

I keep waiting for Marvel/Netflix to deliver another series as good as Jessica Jones and keep being disappointed. 
  • Is anyone else getting really tired of seeing Frank's wife get shot in the head multiple times every episode? I get it, he's traumatized, has PTSD. They can infer him having flashbacks without showing it all the time.
    Doctor_Nick
  • unreadunread Australia
    Okay, that was awesome and it is now my favourite Marvel Netflix series (sorry Daredevil). Jon Bernthal is so bloody perfect in this role. The way he acts when he's in pain (which is most of the time tbh) gives me Bruce Willis in Die Hard feels. And he nails the emotional moments too. Also his chemistry with Deborah Ann Woll is off the charts, I'm so glad the writers decided to run with the hints of romance they had in Daredevil S2. But I'm also glad they didn't take it too far. I am shipping the hell out of them right now.

I didn't have a problem with it being 13 episodes. In fact I stalled a bit on watching the finale because I didn't want it to be over. All the plotlines were compelling and I liked the actors playing Madani and Micro, even though neither of them had the presence that Bernthal brings. One of the things that bothered me throughout though was Frank's seemingly inhuman ability to take damage and still fight, unless he's got some kind of metahuman healing abilities he doesn't know about. Which would kinda make sense, actually. He seems to be able to take as much punishment as he deals out.

I loved Ben Barnes as the bad guy, even though I knew he was going to be a baddie the minute I saw him. He has those evil shark eyes that no amount of handsomeness can make up for. I'm usually fine with violence/gore but I had to look away at the end with what happened to him. Also, he's totally going to come back next season and be even more evil, right? Because that's how these things work. Shoulda killed him, Frank.

Er, I have a lot of feelings about this show :P
    HanaHeat1ziyingcphoenyx1023Elisa
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    It's fun seeing Wire alumni on shows.  

Lieutenant Daniels changed departments and made it all the way to LAPD chief....
    With a brief detour as a Widmore heavy on Lost
    Elisa
  • I can't believe how much I love this show. I think this is my favorite Marvel thing ever!!! maybe because i am just in the moment of finishing the show.
    Elisa
  • unread said:

I loved Ben Barnes as the bad guy, even though I knew he was going to be a baddie the minute I saw him. He has those evil shark eyes that no amount of handsomeness can make up for. I'm usually fine with violence/gore but I had to look away at the end with what happened to him. Also, he's totally going to come back next season and be even more evil, right? Because that's how these things work. Shoulda killed him, Frank.

His pretty face doesn't make me dislike his performance at all surprisingly, totally into his character
  • unread said:

I didn't have a problem with it being 13 episodes. In fact I stalled a bit on watching the finale because I didn't want it to be over. All the plotlines were compelling and I liked the actors playing Madani and Micro, even though neither of them had the presence that Bernthal brings. One of the things that bothered me throughout though was Frank's seemingly inhuman ability to take damage and still fight, unless he's got some kind of metahuman healing abilities he doesn't know about. Which would kinda make sense, actually. He seems to be able to take as much punishment as he deals out.

Agreed! The only Marvel netflix show doesn't drag even a little bit in the middle of the season.
    I know one thing  I'm two episodes in. If I hear one more character describe the Punisher as a "hipster" I'm getting a bulletproof vest, strapped, and then taking to the streets. 
    BrawnunreadElisakevinrilesShumate BS
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I know one thing  I'm two episodes in. If I hear one more character describe the Punisher as a "hipster" I'm getting a bulletproof vest, strapped, and then taking to the streets. 
    Whenever I hear "hipster," what I really hear is, "Get off my lawn!"
    Elisa
  • unreadunread Australia
    I think Frank feels the same way, tbh :D
    unread said:
    I think Frank feels the same way, tbh :D
    Haha, is that his actual origin story?
    unreadstevenduran1240
  • Yeah, Frank Castle came back from Afghanistan to become a mustard sommelier in Brooklyn who watched his family get brutally run down in a mob related fixie by. 
    Flukesunread
  • StoodawgStoodawg Kalamazoo, MI
    I've seen the whole thing and I think it's fantastic. Easily stands with Daredevil as the best of the Marvel Netflix series. 
    iMatty94Brawnphoenyx1023Elisa
  • Mofojones333Mofojones333 Fort Worth, Texas
     Absolutely the best Marvel series that Netflix crapped out.  It is really a great show. Please ARon,  do a Bald move tv wrap up or recap kinda episode. If Jim Jones watch it or hasn't yet, understand if not with a new house and all get Cecily on the mic and wrap up this season. 
    Elisa
  • Just finished it. It's absolutely must see tv I can't belive how incredible Jon is as the punisher. Fuck me this is incredible 
    Mofojones333HanaHeat1Elisa
  • Really good season. Was extremely disappointed when heard it was 13.ep for obvious reasons but it didnt drag like the others. It had more depth and far morr interesting characters. Less Karen than expected was a good thing. Biggest reason it worked so well from 1 to 13 besides Bernthal was Ben Barnes. Hes was engaging and just fun to watch.
    Elisa
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited November 2017
    Just listened to Bernthal's interview on Nerdist from a couple weeks ago, it was pretty good, he has an interesting background and seems like a solid guy (and a bit intense, not surprising). Also he had a cool story about making audition tapes with Tom Holland for Punisher and Spiderman when they were shooting a movie together.
    Brawn
  • I really liked this first season a lot, a return to form after luke cage, iron fist and the defenders. Kind of what Logan did for me for the X-man universe. I felt a lot of genuine emotions and there were some real stakes and consequences. Probably my favourite Marvel tv series so far.  
  • A podcast for those who enjoyed the show: https://www.theincomparable.com/teevee/351/

• Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    I'd forgotten just how much I missed Jon Bernthal on my TV screen! 
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 2017
    I’m 3 episodes in now. Is this better than the average Marvel show because there's no need for Castle to worry about his relationships and how he fits into real life? All of Castle's important relationship issues are dead, which they keep showing us over and over again. I've certainly been more engaged with this show than with some of the prior Netflix Marvel shows. 

Also, I'm a fairly big Punisher fan from the comics, but not exhaustive in my knowledge.  This is the first version of the Punisher origin I've seen that:

a) Suggests he brought what happened to his family on himself

b) Shows him doing something truly despicable in wartime

I feel like that and the neverending interrogation of Micro kinda changes what I think of the character.  He's not just some wronged, avenging vigilante....
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited November 2017

Also, I'm a fairly big Punisher fan from the comics, but not exhaustive in my knowledge.  This is the first version of the Punisher origin I've seen that:

a) Suggests he brought what happened to his family on himself

b) Shows him doing something truly despicable in wartime

I feel like that and the neverending interrogation of Micro kinda changes what I think of the character.  He's not just some wronged, avenging vigilante....
    There is some really great Garth Ennis stuff that tackles a lot of that. Specifically, I would check out:

1. Tyger: This is a one-shot about Castle's days as a kid and some trauma that happens there
    2. Born: This is about Castle's days in Vietnam and hints that much of what made him The Punisher was already in place well before his family is gunned down
    3. The End: This is a "What If" story about Castle at the end of the world 
    4. Really his whole run on Punisher in the MAX format is pretty amazing
    5. And just for the hell of it, Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe: Another "What If" story where his family is killed due to a superhero battle as opposed to a gangland shootout. After this happens, he sets to kill every hero and villain in the Marvel Universe. In the rest of those stories, there isn't a costumed vigilante to be found (outside of Frank), but in this last one, they are steeped in superheroes and villains. It is a brutal take, seeing heroes getting knocked off, but its super good.