805 - The Big Scary U

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Written and directed by: names withheld to protect those responsible
DoubleA_RonMichelleDaniFlukesTaraC73Travis

Comments

• wouldn't it be something if they wound up at the end of the episode as heads on spikes in front of the sanctuary...?
  • lmaooo this is actually the name of the episode?
  • im ready for pure hilarity on the live watch
  • Hey @A_Ron_Hubbard, this week is "The Big Scary U" and is 805. You skipped ahead a week. 
  • Tom_A said:
    Hey @A_Ron_Hubbard, this week is "The Big Scary U" and is 805. You skipped ahead a week. 
    Clearly wishful thinking.
    Michelle
  • guys the french canadian fur trader told them that the kingdom got wiped out except for Zeke and Carol 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Im digging ARon getting amped on German food n shit. \m/ 
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    edited November 2017
    I thought it was pretty good. 

Still need to figure out the Eugene, Dwight, blood stain thing. But I liked it. 
    ksa1001Travis
  • edited November 2017
    Do these writers not watch their own show?

1st episode: "Let's take these explosives and use them to lure a herd of walkers right to the sanctuary!"

5th episode: Daryl "Wow, dynamite! This is such a big deal that it could end the war right now"  Rick"Let's fight because I don't want to lead the walkers to the workers, despite that being literally the plan in the 1st episode!"

Also:
    1st episode- Rick "we just need to kill one person, Negan." Gabriel nods in agreement

5th episode: Gabriel regains the gun, says that maybe Negan can change and become a good guy. Negan goes "nah, I kill people who need to be killed and I will keep doing it"

To which Gabriel goes "Ok, I guess I have no choice but help you get out of here so that you can imprison me"

Tonight's would have been a fine episode if it didn't go against literally all that was done in the 1st episode.

Also, the writers have zero faith in the audience if they have to explicitly discuss getting sick from guts the scene before Gabriel gets sick from guts.
    Giovanni

• Also, the writers have zero faith in the audience if they have to explicitly discuss getting sick from guts the scene before Gabriel gets sick from guts.
    Except nobody in TWD or FTWD has gotten sick from wearing walker guts before, IIRC.

---

The helicopter is worrying -- is Heath back to save the day?  Are they introducing some new big bad before the fight with Negan is over?  Is some military outpost going to join the fight?
    hypergenesb
  • They probably just called back with the helicopter to the start of the series when Rick followed it to Atlanta.

Eugene's pickle pun was brilliant and horrible at the same time

In an epsiode that involved the guts trick exactly fuck all happened the status quo was maintained and we know the next episode is going to invlove Romulan Trash people so we all loose. 

Rick-Daryl lovers quarell was terrible, if the dynamite was going to blow the compound up why besides character shields did it not destroy Darick.
    Murderbear
    My bet and hope is that the helicopter Rick sees is chock-full of FTWD cast and writing staff.  They've finally come to save the day and rescue this pitiful show.  So yeah, maybe this is the merger slowly getting eased in.  
    lengmo
  • Gabriel had a ton of decaying and rotten flesh on him, it’s not farfetched to think that’s what go him sick.
  • Maybe because of the lowered expectations of the "shitting pants" episode, I thought it was quite good. All the savior stuff was well done, and it was interesting getting an internal look on the power dynamics at play there. So far they've seen to be invincible, and I enjoyed watching them act under stress.

The Rick / Daryl stuff was kind of dumb.
    ksa1001
  • gguenot said:
    Gabriel had a ton of decaying and rotten flesh on him, it’s not farfetched to think that’s what go him sick.
    Well, I'll go as far as to say maybe we're supposed to accept that guts from multi-year-old zombies are toxic, but guts of fresher ones used in TWD and FTWD previously are not.
    edited November 2017
    "Choke hold is illegal!"

Rick & Daryl were like:

Kela15
  • gguenotgguenot CA
    edited November 2017
    lengmo said:
    gguenot said:
    Gabriel had a ton of decaying and rotten flesh on him, it’s not farfetched to think that’s what go him sick.
    Well, I'll go as far as to say maybe we're supposed to accept that guts from multi-year-old zombies are toxic, but guts of fresher ones used in TWD and FTWD previously are not.
    Your sample size of anecdotal evidence is small. If I smear feces all over myself and don’t get sick the first 3 times but the 4th time I do, am I going to wonder if another agent other than the feces made me ill?

edit/addition: we either want the show to spell everything out for us or we don’t. Did we need Negan making a side comment of “man we’re probably going to get really sick if we do this”? Because he almost did say it...
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    davemcb said:
    They probably just called back with the helicopter to the start of the series when Rick followed it to Atlanta.
    Yeah, I feel like there has been more than a few nods and references to season 1 this season for whatever reason. 

I thought the episode was alright. Nothing too egregious this time. Well, except for Rick tossing Daryl's magic bag of explosion. That felt a little forced.

I'm developing this love/hate relationship with Negan. JDM is probably the best actor on this show. I would have said Lennie James but his fight with Jesus took him down a few pegs for me. But while I appreciate JDM's skill, I'm so fucking tired of Negan at this point. I'm over the shtick.
  • gguenot said:
    Your sample size of anecdotal evidence is small. If I smear feces all over myself and don’t get sick the first 3 times but the 4th time I do, am I going to wonder if another agent other than the feces made me ill?

edit/addition: we either want the show to spell everything out for us or we don’t. Did we need Negan making a side comment of “man we’re probably going to get really sick if we do this”? Because he almost did say it...
    I'm guessing you're not a FTWD watcher?  Because zombie camo was used many, many times in that show.

It's not about spelling things out, it's about having consistent rules.  A lot to ask of TWD writers, I know, but "zombie camo makes you sick" is upending ~eight years and two shows (and the comics) worth of how the WD universe worked.
  • Yeah if the writers would parcel out the Negan it would be so much better. How bout a scene here a scene there? But no they bunch all the Negan into a few episodes so they don't have to pay JDM. 
  • davemcb said:
    They probably just called back with the helicopter to the start of the series when Rick followed it to Atlanta.
    Yeah, I feel like there has been more than a few nods and references to season 1 this season for whatever reason. 

I thought the episode was alright. Nothing too egregious this time. Well, except for Rick tossing Daryl's magic bag of explosion. That felt a little forced.

I'm developing this love/hate relationship with Negan. JDM is probably the best actor on this show. I would have said Lennie James but his fight with Jesus took him down a few pegs for me. But while I appreciate JDM's skill, I'm so fucking tired of Negan at this point. I'm over the shtick.
    It seems like they gave JDM a little more to work with, but is it too little too late? His character is kind of a mess. It feels like they're on the verge of having him "we don't kill"  with Simon to humanize him or something.

I don't really buy that Simon wouldn't be running this show.
    Murderbear
  • Maybe because of the lowered expectations of the "shitting pants" episode, I thought it was quite good. All the savior stuff was well done, and it was interesting getting an internal look on the power dynamics at play there. So far they've seen to be invincible, and I enjoyed watching them act under stress.

The Rick / Daryl stuff was kind of dumb.
    Agreed. This is the first time in a long time I was truly satisfied with an episode of this show. Perhaps like you my expectations have been drastically lowered, but Seth Gilliam and Jeffrey Dean Morgan are both good actors who did well with their material, and the power dynamics were interesting to watch, like you said.

I was fine with the Rick/Daryl fight because it was properly set up. In general, there was enough good in this episode for me to overlook the bad (a way-too-long Gregory flashback, the hilariously bad "thank God for you Negan" line at the end).
  • During the live watch I was really confused as to how Rick / Daryl would know that the people from the Kingdom were all killed.  Did I miss something in a previous episode that says they were in communication with Carol, Jerry or Ezekiel after the Kingdom people were slaughtered?
  • Jim said:
    During the live watch I was really confused as to how Rick / Daryl would know that the people from the Kingdom were all killed.  Did I miss something in a previous episode that says they were in communication with Carol, Jerry or Ezekiel after the Kingdom people were slaughtered?
    The French Canadian fur trapper guy (the dying guy with the month hair and beard) who they talked to at the beginning of last nights episode told them about the massacre on both sides and that Zeke and Carol got away @Jim
  • Ok, cool.  I'm not to that part in my rewatch yet.  Good to know.
  • TimKTimK Grand Rapids, MI
    Gabriel's ridiculous quest to absolve Negan when he had multiple opportunities to kill him and actually accomplish something worthwhile was one thing, but one of the workers who had been on the verge of open rebellion two minutes prior yelling "Thank God for you Negan!" was the most ludicrous shit I've seen on this show in quite a while.
  • If you were a person afraid of a fruitless death wouldn’t you want to eliminate your allies’ worst enemy in a moment where he was at his weakest? That seems like a pretty fruitful thing to do to me. 
  • Alkaid13 said:
    If you were a person afraid of a fruitless death wouldn’t you want to eliminate your allies’ worst enemy in a moment where he was at his weakest? That seems like a pretty fruitful thing to do to me. 
    He tried and failed, because that plot armor is thicker than the earth's crust. In the end, he's still a priest trying to do God's work, so I don't have a problem with him staying true to that character. (Plus, I think he's faking being sick so he can rescue Maggie's doctor, which would give him a reason to want to get into the sanctuary without the Saviors just immediately killing him.)
  • (Plus, I think he's faking being sick so he can rescue Maggie's doctor, which would give him a reason to want to get into the sanctuary without the Saviors just immediately killing him.)
    Why would he continue faking being sick in front of Eugene while telling him his plan?  I know the writing is bad, but that seems a bit off even for them.
  • The Darryl and Rick fight before securing the weapons in the vehicle that is leaking gasoline was silly. Are they new?

I had a tough time buying Gabriel’s rolling over for Negan. Sure I beat the widow’s husband and the ginger to death with a baseball bat and enjoyed it, and almost made Rick cut Carl’s arm off, but I’m a good guy and I wasn’t the one who got them killed.

They haven’t been consistent with Gabriel’s arc. He turned into a badass and did some quick thinking digging a grave to hide Maggie’s being alive from Negan, but now he’s the same sniveling wimp that he started out as?