HBO "open" to GoT stretched out to ten years? [SPOILERS]

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/11/game-thrones-end

Very interesting.  Obviously, in the end it's up to the double Ds, but it feels to me like 7 sevens is aggressive.  Although if they can compress the next two books the way they compressed Storm/Feast/Dance, then seven seasons will knock it out of the park.  I dunno, I keep going back and forth...

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Even if that doesn't end up happening, GRRM created such an expansive world with Westeros that there could easily be several spin-offs with pre-/parallel storylines. 

I'm more annoyed with the ten episode seasons, or at least the 50-65min episodes. Wouldn't it be less expensive to produce more once production is already ramped up and everyone is on set? Why not ten BBC-like 90 minute episodes, or maybe 13-15 episodes per season?
    FlashGordon
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Bad news book readers...GRRM needs more time - AAARRRRGGGHHH
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    The Double Ds have explained that they essentially are in some stage of production year round. That's why they don't do more episodes / longer episodes.
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard Bah that's poppycock. I'm not denying that they're always in some stage of production, just that that means they can't produce more. They don't do more/longer episodes because they're already burning through enough book material as it is and they don't have an ironed out plan for anything after that, in addition to already being the most expensive TV show ever created and understandably not wanting to pile on even more.
  • Assuming season 5 completely catches up to the books (and likely spoils some of Winds of Winter as well), David and Dan plan to wrap up the rest of this story in 2 seasons.  I thinks the reason this is so hard for me and many others to wrap our heads around is because so far each book has gotten more and more sprawling and complex.  However, while Feast and Dance with Dragons represents that largest number of separate stories, locations, and characters, it also puts many characters on a trajectory to meet together.  In other words, Winds of Winter is likely the point at which this world stops expanding and starts condensing. This means it will get progressively easier to tell the core story in a shorter amount of time, which makes the 7 season goal more reasonable in my mind.  After all, this is the song of Ice and Fire and will likely end with everyone united against the White Walkers, plus whatever Arya decides to do.  
    ghm3
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    One would hope.  My greatest fear is the next two novels end up being four, just like Feast became two because George couldn't bear to execute his original "flash forward" story concept.  That led to the Meereeneese knot, which led to Feast+Dance being bloated and I would say disjointed and variably interesting. 
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I'm sorry but NO WAY can GRRM finish with 2 books. 4 is more like it :(
    steph_b
  • Regardless of whether it's 2 or 4 there is no chance the series is done in less than 7 years. So to me it doesn't matter what the DDs do. It's their story now. This is where the books and the show part ways.
  • Regardless of whether it's 2 or 4 there is no chance the series is done in less than 7 years. So to me it doesn't matter what the DDs do. It's their story now. This is where the books and the show part ways.
    Elisa
  • to clarify, I don't think the entire book series will be written and published in less than 7 years. Right now I think all involved parties are trying to find a way to continue the TV show without relying on the books anymore.
    Elisa
  • Agreed.  Even if by some miracle Winds of Winter comes out before season 6, Dream of Spring isn't coming out any time soon after that.  David and Dan are on their own.
    Elisa
  • SionShankelSionShankel Nattercast San Francisco, CA
    edited March 2015

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/11/game-thrones-end

Very interesting.  Obviously, in the end it's up to the double Ds, but it feels to me like 7 sevens is aggressive.  Although if they can compress the next two books the way they compressed Storm/Feast/Dance, then seven seasons will knock it out of the park.  I dunno, I keep going back and forth...
    Yes, Double D's....keep those GoT breasts coming! Who doesn't love boobies?
    steph_b