"Godless" on Netflix (New western mini-series by Scott Frank)

Scott Frank, writer of Minority ReportOut of SightGet Shorty, and Logan among other films has a new mini-series on Netflix. I've only seen the first episode, but I'm liking it so far and am very intrigued to see where it goes.

As an aside, I heard Scott Frank on the "Script Notes" podcast talking about the history of the project a while back which put it on my radar. He wanted Soderbergh to direct it as a movie a long time ago, but Soderbergh didn't want to work with horses and thought there was no way he was the right person for the job and suggested Frank do it himself as a mini-series. HBO was gonna make a pilot, but their deal was really shitty apparently and Netflix had a much better offer with more creative freedom. 

Anyway, just curious if anyone else is watching and what others think of it.
ElisaDeeJTKIII

Comments

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I just watched episode 1 and there was a lot of exposition and background story to cover, but once they got through that, I thought it was pretty good.  So far so good.
    DaveyMac
  • I agree @Elisa on the exposition. There was a lot of it, some a bit clunky and some well-integrated. But yeah hopefully it was all front-loaded. I still haven’t caught the second episode but am really looking forward to it.
  • I've seen the first four and am really enjoying it. For the most part, it feels like a pastiche of classic westerns, with some original ideas sprinkled in. 

Scott Frank gives good interview. Check out his conversation with Chris and Andy on The Watch podcast (around 33 min mark).  
    ElisaDaveyMac
  • Mofojones333Mofojones333 Fort Worth, Texas
    This mini series is really good. A little slow during the middle but really ends with a bang. I loved it. 
    Also, Thomas Bodie Sangster from GOT and Merritt Weaver from The walking dead are in it and are really good. Also, that lady from downton Abby is good too. 
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Michelle Dockerty  ;)
    Mofojones333
    Yeah,  the one.  ;)
    Elisa
    That
    Elisa
  • Looking forward to watching this
  • Finished tonight. It's not perfect by any means, but it's got gorgeous, smart cinematography; killer performances by Jeff Daniels and Michele Dockerty, and most of the supporting cast is solid; and some original twists thrown in. All in all, very glad I spent time in this world. 
    DaveyMacElisaHanaHeat1JTKIIIZandra
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Thoroughly entertaining  :)
  • WintersComingAfterFallWintersComingAfterFall New Haven, CT
    edited November 2017
    Yeah i thoroughly enjoyed it. The pace was deliberate but felt right in that setting. I thought lots of characters were really good and who thought the girl from walking dead could act. Getting off a crap show sure does wonders for an actor. Also the reed kid grom thrones was surprisingly good imo in his role. Jack Oconnell is very underrated to me, waiting for his breakout role. Watch him in starrred up to see a good performance. Im hoping they do a season 2 in the location we ended in with Dockery heading there with grandma n the kid.
    Elisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah i thoroughly enjoyed it. The pace was deliberate but felt right in that setting. I thought lots of characters were really good and who thought the girl from walking dead could act. Getting off a crap show sure does wonders for an actor. Also the reed kid grom thrones was surprisingly good imo in his role. Jack Oconnell is very underrated to me, waiting for his breakout role. Watch him in starrred up to see a good performance. Im hoping they do a season 2 in the location we ended in with Dockery heading there with grandma n the kid.
    Who thought "the girl from Walking Dead could act?" Merritt Wever was nominated for two Emmys for Nurse Jackie and won one, and she was in Birdman and Michael Clayton. She can act.  ;)
    DeehypergenesbElisaDaveyMacReni
  • What? I dont remember her from Birdman or michael clayton. This is first thing ive seen her in as more than a background character and she was pretty good.
  • She was actually a ray of light in acting on TWD. 
    hypergenesb
  • Finally finished it today and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sure I’ve got a few issues here and there and at times it feels a bit padded out, which makes sense as it was originally written as a film.

But I just really enjoyed a lot of the characters and performances as well some of the original ideas thrown in that put in an interesting twist on standard western tropes and imagery. 

As as much as I enjoyed it, though, I’m hoping they leave it as a limited series. Unless of course Scott Frank has a great idea for how to continue.  
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    My biggest gripe is that it promised a huge focus on women in the west and trying to go against the typical western tropes and well it really was about Roy and Frank.  That said still entertained.
    hypergenesbpavlovsbellDaveyMac
    Elisa said:
    My biggest gripe is that it promised a huge focus on women in the west and trying to go against the typical western tropes and well it really was about Roy and Frank.  That said still entertained.
    ^^THIS. This is why I am having a difficult time getting into it. It's visually stunning, the performances are good, and the classic Western tropes are done well, but I am far more interested in the story that is not being told. I would love a Western about a town run by women -- that would be different and interesting -- instead of yet another story about white men feuding.
    DeeDaveyMacElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Elisa said:
    I read something the other day about how it was supposed to be about a town full of women but in the first episode 73% of the lines were spoken by men (someone literally calculated that!). I haven’t seen it but that definitely put me off wanting to watch it. 
    pavlovsbellElisa
    Dee said:
    Elisa said:
    I read something the other day about how it was supposed to be about a town full of women but in the first episode 73% of the lines were spoken by men (someone literally calculated that!). I haven’t seen it but that definitely put me off wanting to watch it. 
    I saw that too, and it's really disappointing (infuriating).
    Elisa
  • Elisa said:
    Totally feel your disappointment here. Especially given how the trailer markets it. I was so disappointed by this, because that is what truly had the potential to differentiate it. 
    DaveyMacpavlovsbellElisa
  • Yeah as much as I enjoyed it and think it did a lot of things really well, I agree with both @Elisa and @pavlovsbell . I think a number of the Roy and Frank flashbacks were unnecessary and could have been cut in favor of spending more time getting to know the Ladies of Labelle and their stories or the families in Blackdom. A lot of the stuff in the finale would have had more emotional weight as well if we had spent a lot more time with those characters and made it more about them. 

pavlovsbellElisa
  • I think episodes 1-3 were amazing and possibly the best thing that Netflix had ever produced. Episode 4 was also pretty good but the episodes leading up to the finale were not that great. Also the finale I felt was wrapped up much too quickly and I felt the plot was dumb. I can't really explain why without going way too deep into spoilers though. 

I think these series could have been great if it were 4 1hr 30 min episodes. 

Elisa