What's the bar for stopping TWD full treatment coverage?

@Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard
Given what we've seen this season (and recent seasons), when are you guys going to reassess TWD cast coverage? You've both agreed that this is worst seasons the show has produced, and it's clearly in the midst of a severe downward spiral. So when you will you all decide to reallocate your time to other, more worthwhile shows? I can maybe see continuing coverage in the tried & true half-assed cast way, but I'd rather see you just dump this show. Are we there yet? If not, what's the bar for making a change? When can we jump this shark.  

Comments

• AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Oh just you wait til AMC trots out the trailer for next half season... Shit is gonna be unleashed with venom!!

And Gimple will go on Talking Dead and be like-- "See I told you the audience would be poisoned and shit on."
  • What does that do to the guy that got that awesome Zombie Jim and A.Ron tattoo?

Also is there really a show at the moment that would take its spot? It would be different if this was during the Fargo, BCS and Leftovers run earlier this year that it was feasible to drop a show and make it easier. We don't get all the shows here in backwards Oz without reverting to the Bay of Pirates which I quit many years ago. 

If the Gimple is confirmed for the next season than I think a conversation needs to be had at BMHQ
    Dee
  • No way, their coverage is as good as it's been in years. The show is finally going full dumb (or close to it). I think embracing it is super fun and great entertainment. Honestly, hearing them disappointed and bummed about the show a few years ago sucked, but now.... now it's become such a farce that it's fun again. 

I think if you guys started doing skits again or threw some more bells and whistles on the live watch (and put it on youtube) then you guys could pump up your audience even more. I may be speaking from purely personal preference, but for the love of god don't stop the walking dead now. Your coverage this year has been pure comedy. The material is well suited for casts and the bare bones of the story is still there - so I'm sure you guys are still at least kind of interested to see how it unfolds.
    mwspiakjleav382PangsOriginal_Josephb_nut
  • I don't think they stop until the DLs go to a level where the money they make on the show isnt worth the effort or fun they put into the podcast. 
    CretanBullFernNYC17
  • Tom_A said:
    No way, their coverage is as good as it's been in years. The show is finally going full dumb (or close to it). I think embracing it is super fun and great entertainment. Honestly, hearing them disappointed and bummed about the show a few years ago sucked, but now.... now it's become such a farce that it's fun again. 

I think if you guys started doing skits again or threw some more bells and whistles on the live watch (and put it on youtube) then you guys could pump up your audience even more. I may be speaking from purely personal preference, but for the love of god don't stop the walking dead now. Your coverage this year has been pure comedy. The material is well suited for casts and the bare bones of the story is still there - so I'm sure you guys are still at least kind of interested to see how it unfolds.
    I agree we need more skits. I miss when they used to do them. This show is trash and I will say again I literally only watch this show to hear him and Aron get frustrated. The people that make this show know they are serving up garbage and it’s fun agreeing with people that have the same point of view and it’s also fun listening to people defend it. This is what happens when you stretch a good show out too much. This show should have had 5 seasons max a la breaking bad.
  • This is the first week I didn’t watch the show, and listened to the podcast instead. It was an interesting experiment! 

Something I learned from it, is that with the walking dead, I really don’t care about being spoiled anymore, and I think I was only watching to hear the Bald Move coverage. So I think I’ll listen to the coverage, and if the episode sounds good, I’ll watch it. It’s a really unorthodox method, but it’s the one I’m rolling with. 
    Deevoodoorat
  • I imagine if the next half season coincides with two of three other BM shows it will probably be cut in a heartbeat. As long as it’s in this dead zone with only like one other show to cover alongside it could be fine. It’s certainly amusing to make fun of if not to watch at this point. 
    mwspiak
  • This is the first week I didn’t watch the show, and listened to the podcast instead. It was an interesting experiment! 

Something I learned from it, is that with the walking dead, I really don’t care about being spoiled anymore, and I think I was only watching to hear the Bald Move coverage. So I think I’ll listen to the coverage, and if the episode sounds good, I’ll watch it. It’s a really unorthodox method, but it’s the one I’m rolling with. 
    that actually sounds like a pretty good idea.  it's getting harder and harder to steel myself to dedicating an hour to actual watching this garbage fire every week.
    BrandonTheBard
  • The only reason I'm staying current on this show is for the BM live watch, which is comedy gold. If that wasn't around I would be waiting for the Netflix release to binge this shit
    JTKIII
  • mwspiakmwspiak Upstate NY
    edited November 2017
    I think not covering the show would be a mistake to be honest. The podcasts have been hilarious this half season, who cares if the show is bad? The worse the show gets the better the podcasts are. Also what exactly could they cover right now? Other than Mr Robot I don't see a show worth covering.
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    edited November 2017
    TxSandMan said:
    The only reason I'm staying current on this show is for the BM live watch, which is comedy gold. If that wasn't around I would be waiting for the Netflix release to binge this shit
    I'm the same bro. i don't think i have seen an Episode of TWD on AMC in 3 yrs. everything is from there live watch and the podcast. Pure comedy gold and i can't get enough. i sulk when i find out they have to miss a live watch. 
  • The show is hilariously bad right now. Key word being “Hilariously”. As long as the show entertains us and doesn’t bore us to sleep than I enjoy it and the podcasts. Especially the live watches. It’s like watching “Commando” the tv series. Just my two cents.
  • does anybody just watch the live watch without bothering to actually turn the show on?  seems like that might be experience-effort-timeinvestment sweet spot
  • davemcb said:
    What does that do to the guy that got that awesome Zombie Jim and A.Ron tattoo?
    Nothing -- I got the tattoo for Jim & A.Ron, not for The Walking Dead.
    FernNYC17MurderbeardavemcbBrandonTheBardA_Ron_HubbardKingKobrahisdudeness915mwspiakJim
  • davemcb said:
    What does that do to the guy that got that awesome Zombie Jim and A.Ron tattoo?
    Nothing -- I got the tattoo for Jim & A.Ron, not for The Walking Dead.
    I think if the guys stop covering they should be forced to get a tattoo of your choosing on their asses
    MurderbearDummyPhoebes89CretanBullBrandonTheBardA_Ron_HubbardKingKobraBrawnhisdudeness915Melonuskand 1 other.
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    My wife and I make nachos to watch the Walking Dead. At this point I think I might only be watching for the nachos.
    MurderbearSchluppCretanBullBrandonTheBardBrawnMelonuskmwspiak
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited November 2017
    mwspiak said:
    I think not covering the show would be a mistake to be honest. The podcasts have been hilarious this half season, who cares if the show is bad? The worse the show gets the better the podcasts are.
    I'm glad people are adopting that attitude. A few seasons ago, there were so many people upset that Jim, A.Ron and this forum were shitting on the show. I think it's gotten so bad, people have just accepted that fact.
    BrandonTheBard
  • Flukes said:
    My wife and I make nachos to watch the Walking Dead. At this point I think I might only be watching for the nachos.
    Here's an expert's opinion about that topic.

Flukes
  • Everyone has collectively entered the acceptance phase of the death of anything good on TWD. 
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Everyone has collectively entered the acceptance phase of the death of anything good on TWD. 
    Truth.  They're actually managing to fuck up All Out War, and I thought that was literally impossible.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Isn’t this one their biggest downloads after Game of Thrones? I guess it comes down to how much they like doing it and how much money it makes them. There’s really no other “big” shows around at the moment, and won’t be for the foreseeable future. 

I finally gave up watching this year after gritting my teeth through the last couple of seasons, but I still listen to the podcast because it keeps me up with the story (such as it is), and it’s entertaining. I’d like to see it continue until they just don’t enjoy it anymore. 
  • I imagine coverage will continue unless they either get tired of covering it (and it kind of seems like the live watch/vicious mockery in podcast form is pretty enjoyable) or it airs during a significantly busy period at which point it may be dropped for better coverage on more quality shows. 
  • PcherryPcherry Auburn, AL
    mwspiak said:
    I think not covering the show would be a mistake to be honest. The podcasts have been hilarious this half season, who cares if the show is bad? The worse the show gets the better the podcasts are. Also what exactly could they cover right now? Other than Mr Robot I don't see a show worth covering.
    I agree,  I'm one of those people that no longer watch the show (I've watched 2 shows from this season), but I still enjoy the podcasts.
  • edited November 2017
    The walking dead has been something of a guilty pleasure of mine for sometime now as most of my friends have dropped the show for all the aforementioned reasons but the bottom line is it's trash. As a wanna be filmmaker this show has been a great example of what not to do and for that I think it has some value to me, and as a wanna be special FX artist I will say that this show still does some impressive work and I do enjoy that part of it. As far as Jim and Aarons coverage, I hope to god they continue on because admittedly I love to hate this show, its a bazaar feeling. And I enjoy those moments of discussion when they point out inconsistencies or other flaws that make you say "you know that's a good point."

Last year I tried to do my part of making this podcast more enjoyable for everyone by submitting the video of Rick and crew blowing up on the highway. I would love to do more stuff like that if the guys come up with a solid idea, and that extends to the rest of you, if you have an idea I will try to edit it together and send it into feedback.
    Murderbear
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    It's been a near constant meta-discussion this season.  We wax and wane on the show.  Me, I've been having a ball this season, I think it's been hilariously bad, only one real turd of an episode where it was so boring I wanted to die on the LiveWatch and it led to what felt like a slightly awkward podcast.

I think it's doing serious damage to Jim's soul, he's not having nearly as much fun with it as far as I can tell.  As far as the traffic, it's been steadily dropping, and this season is right around our Better Call Saul numbers, which means it's a solid performer, but no where near the heights of GoT, Westworld, hell even The Leftovers had two to three times it's traffic this year.

For me, it's a question of "what is better to cover in it's time slot?"  Like, TWD is just garbage now, but it's funny garbage, and it typically airs at a time where we have very little else going on.  But, it still easily burns a whole day for us, and the question is always "could we be making better use of our time?"

What will probably kill TWD is a February or October that has three "AAA" shows that we want to cover going on.  Else, it becomes no fun.  A half season of morgalizing and now insane RPG kills would probably kill us.  I still really like Rick and Carl.  I'd love to stick it out until Lincoln or Riggs checks out or are killed off, assuming they haven't signed their lives over to AMC.  I just read this week that Andy Lincoln makes 90k per episode.  That's insane.   Jim Parsons gets 1 mill for Big Bang Theory, and doesn't put 10% of the effort.
    DeeDoubleA_RonFlukesMelonusk
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Wow, Andrew Lincoln needs a way better agent to negotiate for him! 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    The other thing is our attitudes about shows are severely impacted by work load and what else is on.  Mr. Robot being a stunning return to form, recovering from a stumble last year, makes the contrast to TWD extremely stark.  And, we've been crazy busy for what feels like forever. 

But, the Christmas tree is up at home and office and I'm like... 
    KingKobraDoubleA_Roncdrive
  • The Watching Dead casts are really great this year if it makes Jim feel any better. 
    Flukes
  • The live watches have been fun, but the last episode of this cast sounded like all out bitch fest. It's not hilariously fun to mock, if one of the two people isn't enjoying it. And man, @Jim doesn't sound like he enjoys this at all. 
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    @A_Ron_Hubbard if it became a pain or too time consuming for TWD Podcast when as you said "AAA shows" come around would you consider just doing the live watches for Premium Members and just killing off the Podcast. I imagine the Live watch just takes an hour and change of your time. Sorry the Selfish part of me would hate to see the Live watches go away there so goddam entertaining.