The most underrated shows? (In your opinion)

edited December 2017 in Other TV
Hello everyone! 

I would be interested in hearing everyone's personal opinions about this. What is the most underrated TV show (shows)? If you want to, give a brief description of the show, (like genre). And perhaps a bit about the great qualities the show has, (which makes you annoyed it's not more widely spread/appreciated). Or, just a mention of the show's name. Up to you. For me, it doesn't matter if the show is currently on, or has ended...  I'll be back later on, with my own little list. 

The reason for this post is mainly that I'm trying to find new stuff to watch. Cause it just feels like I've watched "everything" already... ;) (I know, I haven't). 

(Sorry if there are similar threads, I did a search, only found a movie thread). I hope people can contribute with their best hidden gems! 

Edit: it doesn't have to be "perfect", but perhaps it has a couple of great qualities, like "a lot of heart", or "addictive", a few great actors, and beautiful scenery or soundtrack, etc. What makes you love the show? :)
Travis

Comments

• edited December 2017
    At least a dozen people here would say this (including Jim & Aron), so I'll go first: The Leftovers. I'll leave the reasoning up to the others :)
    Alkaid13hisdudeness915ElisaTravis2manyboogersMichelle
  • Reni said:
    At least a dozen people here would say this (including Jim & Aron), so I'll go first: The Leftovers. I'll leave the reasoning up to the others :)
    @Reni  Ah, thanks for your contribution! :) I've seen all the seasons of The Leftovers so far. While I do agree there are some really good things about this show, I've still had problems "falling in love" with it... weird! It's kinda like "that guy you should date, cause he's so good on paper", but you just don't feel that tingling in your tummy...  :P (For me).

But I still agree, it's a show with lots of qualities, such as a mysterious and unique story. A very "dreamlike" show and some of the actors are great, so I can definitely see why people would consider it as underrated!
    Reni
  • Halt and Catch Fire. Just wrapped up their fourth and final season and it is way underappreciated. Some of the most believable characters, conflicts and relationships in any show ever and it's always really engaging even in the quiet moments. Season one was good but probably the weakest, this is one of the rare shows where each season is a big jump in quality over the last.
    ChinaskiDoctor_NickAlkaid13KingKobraTravisJaimieT
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Halt and Catch Fire. Just wrapped up their fourth and final season and it is way underappreciated. Some of the most believable characters, conflicts and relationships in any show ever and it's always really engaging even in the quiet moments. Season one was good but probably the weakest, this is one of the rare shows where each season is a big jump in quality over the last.
    ^^this^^

well put sir.
    bizmarkiefaderTravis
  • @bizmarkiefader & @Chinaski

Thanks for your contribution! I completely agree about Halt and catch fire. It is rare for me to so completely fall in love with a show! :) It has so much heart and intelligence in the way they let you get to know the amazing main characters. It's probably in my top 5 list of favorites for the last 5-10 years. It must definitely be one of the most underappreciated shows ever... 
  • I’ll say 2 that got cancelled too early.

Jericho
    The Black Donnelley’s
    Elisa
  • The Leftovers
    Mr. Robot
    The Expanse
    Halt and Catch Fire
    Elisa
  • edited December 2017
    Halt and Catch Fire
    Rubicon
    Continuum
    12 Monkeys
    The Expanse
    Fargo
    Bates Motel
    Fringe
    Hannibal
    The Magicians
    Southland
    The Exorcist
    The Last Kingdom
    Mr Robot 
    ElisaTravis
  • Some really good mentions here! I'll also add Black Sails, 'cos I'll never stop recommending that show to people. One of the rare shows where every season is better than the last.
    ElisaKingKobraMofojones333
  • I’d disagree with the leftovers and Mr Robot. They are definitely not underrated in terms of critical acclaim. They are simply niche shows with smaller audiences. But they are properly rated in terms of love they get from critics and the people that watch.

id say underrated shows are one that’s we’re good but never got any respect or were cancelled for whatever reason. 
    Dee
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2017
    Psych, Psych, a million times Psych. It's really silly and over the top, and it's totally not for everybody, but it's such a fun watch. It's literally a top 5 show for me. Incredibly re-watchable and like I said, so much fun. I do get why it was largely written off. Season 1 has some very good episodes, but it's problematic. They had to kind of dial in the main character's crazy to the appropriate level (they basically started at 11 and lived there for most of season 1) and kind of figure out who they were as a show. Also, it's a very goofy show. A goofy show with a ton of heart and fun, but it operates at a level that can be probably tedious or obnoxious to some. There is also the fact that it's a procedural crime show at it's core outline and adheres to that sort of week to week formula, but it's about the performances and the writing in the end. They just took a detective show and a comedy show and a show about buddies being awesome buddies and threw it into a blender and magic happened. Not to mention, they would do a lot of reference episodes that they always just nailed. Their Twin Peaks, American Idol, John Hughes movies, and the Shining episodes were particularly fantastic. Psych is the epitome of an underappreciated gem.

Another one that my wife and I have been totally hooked on lately is Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on BBC America. It stars Elijah Wood and some really great people who I've never seen before (Richard Schiff has a medium tier role in season 1). It's this quirky, weird, supernatural detective thing based on books by Douglas Adams. The show has it all, really. It's had to explain aside from it being a very fun and strange detective show with wonderful, strange characters and incredibly strange happenings. You kind of just have to give it an episode or two and see for yourself. It's awesome though. We found it a few months ago and flew through the first season, then got caught up on the current season, then we were so bummed that we were out of episodes that we just started from the beginning again. It makes for a great re-watch because it has some really convoluted mechanics and it's great to watch it all play out a second time and see it all tie together. Can't recommend it enough.
    MurderbearElisaNoobieDooz
  • Wow, so many responses, I'm really excited to see so many suggestions! :) Thanks guys, this is great stuff for getting inspired to watch good shows that are not really known to everybody. 

@Hatorian thanks for your comment about The Leftovers and Mr. Robot not being underrated. I can definitely see those shows getting a lot of critical acclaim. I don't read a lot of reviews (by professionals) in English. I'm from Sweden.. (and maybe that's why I probably couldn't explain properly what I meant by underrated... :blush: perhaps I used the wrong word in English. I'm sorry :smiley:  I meant shows that either don't get enough of an audience/not enough love from people in general. Or shows that don't get enough critical acclaim, but have great qualities. Sorry if I don't make sense...  <3  
    Hatorian
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    The Good Place! I feel like it gets overlooked by a lot of people but it's soooooo soooooo good!
    TravisChinaskilengmoShumNoobieDoozphoenyx1023Phoebes89
  • The Walking Deajhsdfkhasdjkfahskfdjgagagagagagahahhahahahhahahaaahahhaa, sorry, my fingers rebelled.

Leftovers if you're talking about public mind-share (although it got really good critical acclaim, the appropriate amount for the accomplishment that it was in my opinion).  I haven't watched that much else outside the critical darling path I guess...
    NoobieDoozPhoebes89
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2017
    The Good Place! I feel like it gets overlooked by a lot of people but it's soooooo soooooo good!
    100% cosign! 

Actually, it brings to mind via The Good Place to Mike Schur to Parks and Rec to Amy Poehler (who produces it and might be a co-creator type), or more simply to Billy Eichner: Difficult People definitely bears mention here. That show is hilarious and wonderful. So much snark packed into each 20 minute episode.
    MurderbearChinaskiPhoebes89
    oh yeah i agree. i think the 'network tv' tag turns people off. that's kinda how i feel about Last Man on Earth. i also thought Legion was pretty under the radar.
    TravisNoobieDoozTheHeardTheorem
    From the first time I saw Billy on the Street, I was a huge fan of his. Difficult People is great too!
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2017
    Chinaski said:
    oh yeah i agree. i think the 'network tv' tag turns people off. that's kinda how i feel about Last Man on Earth. i also thought Legion was pretty under the radar.
    How did I forget about Legion?! Legion was amazing!

@Murderbear I still have to check out Billy on the Street. Is that a Comedy Central thing? I've heard about it and I love Eichner, but I've never come across it.
    ChinaskiTheHeardTheorem
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited December 2017
    I think The Good Place has caught on now -- at least, that's what Twitter tells me. Famous people are plugging it, and it's showing up on most critics Best of 2017 lists. I adore this show.

I'll add a couple of critically acclaimed but low-watched shows: 

Rectify: a beautiful Southern gothic meditation on trauma, guilt, justice, faith, and community.

Alias Grace: a six-part Canadian adaptation of Margaret Atwood's novel of the same name. Hypnotic and more quiet and subtle than The Handmaid's Tale but hits many of the same themes.

The Young Pope: Gorgeous, surreal, dreamlike, surprisingly emotional, and a tour de force performance by Jude Law.

I'll also second the Hannibal rec. Hugh Dancy summed it up best: a fever dream blood opera.
    NoobieDoozPhoebes89
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Oh, Dear White People did not get enough attention this year. It probably goes without saying, but the Barry Jenkins-directed episode is stellar.
    DeeElisaPhoebes89
    i enjoyed Togetherness. was kinda bummed they pulled the plug after only 2 seasons.

DeeTheHeardTheorem
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Chinaski said:
    i enjoyed Togetherness. was kinda bummed they pulled the plug after only 2 seasons.

Me too! I really liked the guy who wasn’t Mark Duplass (can’t remember his name). 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited December 2017
    Enlightened got critical love and was always on their “best of” lists, but I never heard anyone talking about it and I don’t know anyone who ever watched it. It was so bloody good, and one of the earlier versions of the sadcom trend (which I’m pretty over now). 

Some Girls is an awesome teen show about, well, some teenage girls. It’s really funny and another one I never heard anyone talk about. 

Unforgotten is a UK crime show with the amaaaaaazing Nicola Walker. It might not be under-rated there as she’s quite well respected, but I never hear any Aussies or Americans talk about it and I don’t know anyone who watched it when it was on here. S2 is particularly good (they have the same main characters but a different story). 

White Gold was really fun but came and went without too much being said about it. It’s kind of tarred now by the Ed Westwick accusations, so I don’t know if we will even be seeing any more of it. :-(
    ElisaDaveyMac
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited December 2017
    While it's getting amazing ratings, the TV critics hated it, so... The Orville

Tide will turn.

(Edit) The things I like about it:

1. Heart.
    2. An optimistic vision of the future.
    3. A lot of fun cameos and Trek veterans working behind-the-scenes, and some in front. 
    4. Solid plot concepts.
    5. A beautiful opening score and sequence. I "duh-duh-duh" hum to it now.
    6. Great makeup design.
    7. The jokes make me laugh more often than not.
    8. Potential.
  • @Travis, wow, thanks for your great and detailed descriptions of the two shows Psych and Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency. I love it when people make a bit longer descriptions, like you did. Makes it easier to figure out if it's a show I'd like.

Out of the 2 you described, it seems like the second one (Dirk....) would perhaps be my first choice... It shall go directly into my list of "Stuff to watch" ! :) Thanks again! 
    Travis
  • My pleasure. Glad I could help. I hope you like it.
    @Travis It actually started out on Funny or Die and is now on TruTv. Here is a best of that sums it up fairly well. I have to say though, while the clips are funny, watching him go from person to person to person on an episode really helps build the insanity.

https://youtu.be/HBOpO7RgS64
  • Fargo doesnt get the respect it deserves.
    ChinaskiElisaDummyMichellePhoebes89
  • The Good Place! I feel like it gets overlooked by a lot of people but it's soooooo soooooo good!
    @Murderbear  Oh, I had been thinking about that show, but was unsure about it. Thanks to your enthusiasm, it now goes directly into my list of "Stuff to watch". Also, I really like your handle, Murderbear, it sounds hilarious! I guess it is a character of some kind. :smiley:
    Murderbear
    @SandyWest79 nope, a friend of mine came up with the name years ago for me and I loved it. I had to play it cool so it would stick! Ha
    NoobieDooz