If you haven’t checked out Dark on Netflix, get on that

I’ve only watched the first 4 episodes so far, but this show is unbelievable. The internet is fixated on calling it the German Stranger Things, which is a pretty huge oversimplification. The obvious parallels are there in the beginning, but by episode 3 you realize that this is a wholly different beast. 

It’s dubbed pretty well in English if you can stand that sort of thing, but I had to turn it off and go with subtitles about 15 minutes into Episode 1. I can’t immerse myself in this story and have a bunch of American-ass sounding people running around in Germany. 
ElisaSandyWest79michielterlouwCretanBullCecilyKela15

Comments

• Thanks! This made me happy cause I am looking for new good shows to watch. Checked it out on IMDB and it seems great! :) 

• It’s dubbed pretty well in English if you can stand that sort of thing, but I had to turn it off and go with subtitles about 15 minutes into Episode 1. I can’t immerse myself in this story and have a bunch of American-ass sounding people running around in Germany. 
    For me it's the lips not matching, so I also had to switch, but yeah no complaints on the actual voice acting of the English dub.

I'm only 1 episode in, but it has a great Dark (ha) mystery vibe so far. Will come back to this thread once I'm more episodes in with a better sense of how I feel about it. 
    Elisa
  • I've been thinking about checking this out. How scary is it?
  • Reni said:
    I've been thinking about checking this out. How scary is it?
    Nothing overtly scary in ep1, but definitely a lot of tension building. Feels to me like it's gonna be on par with r-rated suspense thrillers. Someone's who's seen the whole thing can weigh in though. 
  • This show is FUCKING. WILD.  :o :o
  • Finished this up last night, and it is now my favorite 1st season of anything that I’ve ever seen, beating Game of Thrones and Westworld in that regard. My brain was twisting and turning so much last night that I only got about 4 hours of sleep.
    ElisaSandyWest79
  • Finished this up last night, and it is now my favorite 1st season of anything that I’ve ever seen, beating Game of Thrones and Westworld in that regard. My brain was twisting and turning so much last night that I only got about 4 hours of sleep.
    @RyanReeseman ; Wow, I am just about to start watching this show today, and your comment here just made me even more excited about it! :) Perhaps there should be a "general discussion thread" about the show here on the forums, or maybe we'll just discuss it here later on, in this thread you've already started. Wohoo, I'm starting to watch it now.. :)
    Elisa
  • picorock80picorock80 San Bernardino Ca
    Just watched episode 3 and I’m hooked. 
    Elisa
  • Just watched episode 3 and I’m hooked. 
    It was really good from the start, but for me too it was ep 3 that really got me. Wow! Seriously, people... check this show out!
    RyanReesemanElisa
  • Man, this show is a mental workout. You really need to binge this show, otherwise you'll find yourself lost. Also, have your smartphone handy to google names.

ElisaRyanReeseman
  • I'm on ep8 and this show is hurting my brain. I was able to balance the 2019/1986 people, but now that they've added the third layer... I have to pause many scenes and mentally work out who's who. Sweet Jesus, do I feel mentally exhausted! This is not a complaint though - I always like it when I need to think outside the usual structures, but I probably need a break now, lol. And I somehow have a feeling they will introduce at least one more timeline.
    RyanReeseman
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited December 2017
    Now this is the 80's throwback show I actually wanted ;)

I am about half the way through, and unless the ending is terrible, this is probably the best show, that plot hinges on time travel, that I have ever seen. Better than most movies truthfully. Watch it in German, I appreciate the English subtitles but this ain't a background watch kinda show anyway. And you need to hear that Germain language to get into the mood :)  My only problem is there is a lot of moving parts and characters to keep straight in your head. And they all kinda look alike (sorry Germans) so keeping names with faces is a challenge. 

It's gorgeous and you get many brownie points in my book when everything from set decoration, framing of a shot, and throw-away lines and characters all come back to mean something and help tell the over-arching story. 

In a way that is totally different then the Leftovers, I will say this is the show Lost wanted to be. 

Elisapicorock80
  • Alright, I'll have to add this to the list.
    Elisa
    I just completed the first season and I need to process my brain, I am physically exhausted with all the time jumping around. I agree with you @aberry89 that Lost was trying to be this way too. But ultimately I felt a lot of Donnie Darko influence from this. 

I too too had a tough time remembering everyone’s name. For a long time I kept referring Jonas as “the kid in yellow jacket”.  :p
    Elisa
    Me and my sister are watching it together and we literally pause it after almost every scene to reassess what we just saw and make sure we are on the right track. It's a fun puzzle :)  

And freaking no one's name is remembered. XD  It's all...Scar Face, Kid with Beiber Hair, Dolf Lungren, Crazy man, Possible Pedophile Man.....oh and then all their parents and children and distrant relatives!!! ahhh i dont know how im keeping it all straight!!!

This almost feels like Broadchurch meets Donnie Darko...meets Black Mirror...meets some super depressing German film. 

@picorock80

picorock80Elisa
    aberry89 said:

And freaking no one's name is remembered. XD  It's all...Scar Face, Kid with Beiber Hair, Dolf Lungren, Crazy man, Possible Pedophile Man.....oh and then all their parents and children and distrant relatives!!! ahhh i dont know how im keeping it all straight!!!

Hahaha. Those are all great names. Dolf Lungren... hahaha. That’s hilarious. I dubbed the priest Evil Jude Priest Law, Mikkel’s brother Shitting actor boy #1.
    Elisa
  • edited December 2017
    Man, I really hope Netflix gives this show a season 2. And also hope that the success of this will inspire them to have more international shows made, there are so many countries out there that I'm sure have talented filmmakers having different takes on shows!

There are so many questions left open, but the two I am most curious about are (not really spoilery):
    1. What's the deal with Aleksander? His original name is Boris Niewald - if that's not a mashup of Nielsen+Kahnwald I'll eat my hat. Perhaps an illegitimate/secret child of Jonas and Martha from the future? Or could Hannah be pregnant from Ulrich? Aleksander resembles Ulrich imo and also seems to be kinda on the 'bad guy path'.
    2. I find it nearly impossible to believe Helge with his mental state had a child, especially as there was never a wife or romantic interest introduced... Did he take mercy on a time travel child and raised him secretly?
    Elisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    aberry89 said:
    Now this is the 80's throwback show I actually wanted ;)

I am about half the way through, and unless the ending is terrible, this is probably the best show, that plot hinges on time travel, that I have ever seen. Better than most movies truthfully. Watch it in German, I appreciate the English subtitles but this ain't a background watch kinda show anyway. And you need to hear that Germain language to get into the mood :)  My only problem is there is a lot of moving parts and characters to keep straight in your head. And they all kinda look alike (sorry Germans) so keeping names with faces is a challenge. 

It's gorgeous and you get many brownie points in my book when everything from set decoration, framing of a shot, and throw-away lines and characters all come back to mean something and help tell the over-arching story. 

In a way that is totally different then the Leftovers, I will say this is the show Lost wanted to be. 

On your recommendation, I will have to check this out. German is a language I don't mind having subtitled either. Have you ever seen The White Ribbon? Fantastic German film. Not a lot of dialogue, but one I didn't mind having subtitled. I usually run from subtitles. 
    Elisaaberry89
  • Great season so far. We still have episodes 9 and 10 to finish.

I haven't read through the entire thread, so i'm sure others have made this suggestion: the best way to watch is to put it in it's original German with english subtitles. The english dub is just distracting.

That is, unless you are background watching. Which I wouldn't suggest for this series anyhow.

Elisa
    *spoilers* future Jonas is still wearing the same yellow jacket. It’s just really dirty.  :p
    SandyWest79aberry89
  • i'm loving this show! i cannot find any podcasts about it to help dissect all that is going on ... anybody find any? 
    Elisa
  • radarbot said:
    i'm loving this show! i cannot find any podcasts about it to help dissect all that is going on ... anybody find any? 
    This article from Kim Renfro (friend of Baldmove) does a pretty good job wrapping things up.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/dark-season-finale-analysis-2017-12
    Elisa
    edited December 2017
    <redacted, me saying I don't like the show>

The tone of this show reminded me of Les Revenants, a French show that the US unsuccessfully attempted to remake. That one had supernatural elements and was about how people grapple with loss and the unknown. 
  • edited December 2017
    @JaimieT In what ways does this show reminds you of Lost? I did not get that vibe at all, and I don't know if that (or anything) is a fair judgment if you haven't even seen a whole episode. I think most shows take the first few episodes for a proper setup, for the viewer to have a handle on everything. For me the "don't judge a book by its cover" translates directly to "don't judge a show by its pilot" :p
    SandyWest79Elisa
    @Reni - I don't think anything I can say will be satisfying to you. 
    Elisa
  • @JaimieT Fair enough, I was just wondering.
    edited December 2017
    aberry89 said:

A lot of people tried The Leftovers on recommendations that it was like LOST and hated it. I would say those people would love this show. I adored The Leftovers, couldn't get past 6 episodes of LOST, and couldn't get through the pilot of this one (though I've since thoroughly spoiled myself). It's interesting to think of these shows as a Venn diagram, with LOST having the most overlap. But I'd need to see more of the others to speculate on the Venn diagram further than that. You should make one! ;) 
  • Reni said:
    @JaimieT In what ways does this show reminds you of Lost? I did not get that vibe at all, and I don't know if that (or anything) is a fair judgment if you haven't even seen a whole episode. I think most shows take the first few episodes for a proper setup, for the viewer to have a handle on everything. For me the "don't judge a book by its cover" translates directly to "don't judge a show by its pilot" :p
    @JaimieT   @Reni  Don't wanna step on anyone's toes or anything, but the "Lost" vibe is kinda lost on me too, I guess? But I'm also intrigued as to what elements of the show made you think of Lost, JaimieT. I am always happy to be enlightened about stuff I might have missed or not picked up. :smile:  and sometimes it is about an impression/first impressions, aswell, and those can be hard to explain. 

I have seen like.. 4 eps I think. Had to take a break cause my head was spinning a bit. I don't usually feel like I have a hard time following the twists and turns in a show, but as several people have pointed out, this show does seem to be a bit of gymnastics for the brain..  :smiley:  It is not that I don't like it, I like it a lot.

In some small ways, it reminds me of Stranger things, but probably just cause it's about kids and set in the 80's (some of the time). It seems way more "serious" than Stranger things, and has a really eerie atmosphere. In the beginning I even felt it was a bit scary sometimes! Not that anything truly scary happened, but just the over-all mood was so tense. I'm intrigued by this show though and will stick with it. But I can also see how this show isn't for everyone. I do think after a few episodes, it drew me in more and more though, with all the mystery.

I do hope that the creators of the show hopefully will make things a bit clearer at the end of the show...  :) But I am kinda hooked after these first few episodes, so I'll enjoy the ride, regardless... maybe that'll be the similarity to Lost? That the show keeps us perpetually guessing? Oh boy, I hope not! (Even though I was a huge Lost fan... :wink: )
    ElisaRenidarwinfeeshy
    edited December 2017
    @SandyWest79 - Since you at least seem to recognize some legitimacy of me making an assessment of this show to begin with, okay, let me explain. 

All good stories have to have some element of suspense. The suspense can be something as basic as "what's going to happen to X character?" Mad Men is a good example of that. So are most Jane Austen novels, although the romance genre tips into how - "how is the story/romance going to happen to X character?" And it can be something as complex as "what is this story?" A different way to put that is "what is happening in this story?" or "what is the genre of this story?" Like, sometimes you're watching something and you don't know if the events are magical or not. Collateral Beauty (Will Smith) played with that. I haven't seen it... I heard it kind of played with it badly, lol. And as I'm about to say, it's not really my thing anyway.

LOST is a story where you're trying to figure out what is happening to the characters. It doesn't start that way, but it gets there by episode 6. So is Dark, from the beginning. A man kills himself and leaves an odd suicide note = "what is the story?" not "what's going to happen to him?" The Leftovers, however, is a story where you're told right at the beginning of the story what happened to the characters, ergo the suspense is in how they move on from there. The story involves a lot of psychology and navel-gazing on the nature of life. Even the showrunners, wanting to distinguish it from LOST, said The Leftovers would never pursue how the rapture event happened... they weren't interested in the "what is this story?" story. 

I live for stories that are like The Leftovers and Mad Men. I can't stand a story where I'm held back from understanding the characters due to information withheld from me. Due to the characters knowing more than I do. And I can pick up on that really fast. A man kills himself and leaves an odd suicide note, for instance. And several scenes later, we're still not back to him, and other questions are being asked.

Genre is a word used to group stories based on the elements contained within them. But we don't really have a word for what I'm trying to explain; it's different than genre; it can happen in any genre. But the kernel of whatever this should be called is... well, it's in where the suspense lies.

Sorry if I overexplained or underexplained anything, and sorry if that was all terribly boring. :) I went to reddit to find a linear explanation of the events of Dark, and I think I might have liked this story had it been unraveled differently. I adore the genre.
    SandyWest79
    Let's not turn this into a Lost thread XD

Just finished the show - basically me...

Well done Dark, bravo!!! I really commend a show for not falling prey to the "exposition dump" like in SOOOO many other movies and tv shows that grapple with these themes do. But simply using good storytelling to slowly and steadily reveal what the plot. I also really appreciate that, although a sci-fi show, it has roots in fairy tale and myth. The children walking through the forest, getting stolen by a "monster", the myth of the Labyrinth and the Minotaur ...it just gave it a unique horror flavor I really liked.   I think I've come to realize the thing it reminds me the most of, is The Prestige. If Black Mirror and The Prestige had a German baby.  There are still quite a few plot points that my exhausted brain just couldn't keep straight...my god, this show asks a lot of you!

GredalBeeSandyWest79Schlupppicorock80ElisaDummy