HOT SAUCES!!

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
so what's your go to hot sauce (if any)? ya know, the standards.. tabasco (reg, green, chipolte), tapatio, cholula, sriracha, franks, texas pete, crystal hot, or <insert your fav that i didn't name. like for example, i love the Pepper Plant that isn't as popular as the one's i just said off the top of my head>.

and what do you like to put it on? tacos, salads, pizza, eggs, life?

Travis

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited December 2017
    Sriracha all the way. Sometimes Tabasco for seafood. Oysters with a sprinkle of Tabasco. Sooo good.
    Travis
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited December 2017
    red tabasco on eggs, but this stuff on anything i want hot (mostly asian or indian), i just use the ortega hot taco sauce on tacos or whatever (except when i degrade myself and get taco bell, fire or diablo):

Daves Ghost Pepper Naga Jolokia Hot Sauce 5oz

*edit* note that even though i like it hot, i still use an amount of this stuff measured in single-digit drops.  the bottle should last me about 20 years.
    Travis
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I'm more of a sweet chilli girl myself, but I will hoover up anything with a chilli and garlic mixture on it!

If you're in to hot sauces, then I hope you watch the First We Fest YouTube show called Hot Ones, different celebs and sports stars each week eating ten wings and answering questions and they ramp up the heat of the sauce with each wing, it's genius. 

CretanBullMurderbearTravisdarwinfeeshy
  • Hot Ones is one of my favourite shows - I love it!

(and I'm a vegetarian who doesn't really like hot sauce haha!)
    MurderbearTravis
  • agree with valentina black label. That shit is good. So is that Yucateco green
    darwinfeeshyTxSandMan
  • Sorry for the large images - they didn't look as bad when I posted on my phone!
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Texas Pete is the best!
    calebthrower
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Also, I wonder if @Jim knows about this. Hot sauce aged in Pappy Van Winkle barrels. Could be interesting.
    Chinaski
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    @Murderbear Like most whiskey related food products, it's probably more of a gimmick than anything else. That being said, it's still about as close to a bottle of Pappy as most people are going to get.
    Murderbear
  • @Chinaski Totally agree about Pepper Plant. It always makes me happy when the breakfast place I am eating at has that option. Great sauce.

I'm no aficionado or anything, really far from it, but I was looking for something new to try the other day and picked up Gunslinger's Chipotle Habanero Pepper Sauce and I really enjoy that. Typically I'm a big sriracha guy.
    Chinaski
  • Mofojones333Mofojones333 Fort Worth, Texas
    Mrs. Renfro's habenero red salsa, they also have a Verde salsa killer too. 
    Ajas
    thats*
    Smoked chipotle Tabasco is the shit too! 
    Murderbear
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Marie Sharp is like the national hot sauce of Belize, and it's soooooo delicious!  You can find it in various levels of heat at any place that serves food there.  And just recently, I've seen a few flavors pop up in American supermarkets too!  (and you can get it on amazon)

And there is my favorite chinese sauce, which my wife's family uses... called Old Lady sauce-- Lao Gan Ma, with the iconic pic of the lady on each jar.  The chili flakes one is good, but the black bean one is the best:

• akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I like the chili oil they have at pho places. The kind they don't want to give me because I am white, and they warn me against using before they dig it out of the back room, lol. I don't know what the brand(s) is/are because it's always in the little jar. 

I also like Tapatio, Sambal Olek and Sriracha is OK for when it's called for, but I am not a sriracha-on-everything person. 
    darwinfeeshy
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited December 2017
    My Wife is Vietnamese. I don’t think I’ve ever been to any of her friends or families’ houses that didn’t have Srirchia.

• edited December 2017
    Sriracha is great, but doesn't go with everything.

I'm all about the Valentina black label on mexican dishes, omlettes, and pizza.

Also, smoky chili oil goes great in stir fry and other wok dishes.
  • Tom_ATom_A Carcosa
    edited December 2017

Nando's Peri Peri is legendary, i wish there were more Nando's in the US. Pretty sure they're just around like Virginia and DC. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Ok.....shit yeah @Chinaski...  hot sauce is a big fucking deal for me. My mother-in-law always has some sort of heat adder at the ready for me. (She’s so cute and sweet.) And being from H-Town, I fuck with a lot of shit. Here goes:

Cholula on Mexican seafood
    Louisiana Hot Sauce on fried chicken or morning hash browns.  That’s the go-to Tabasco. Tobasco rules too. (Bloody Marys)
    Chinese chili oil for dim sum and dumplings
    Salsa - I’m a verde guy. A chunky bright tomatillo salsa verde, a creamy poblano that’ll light you up and your breffus tacos, a salsa guacamole on chips
    Sriracha - I’m a pho broth purest but I get after it in my spring roll’s peanut sauce and vermicelli bowl.
    The fuckin spicy shit in a can that turns hot pot into spicy hot pot.

[spoiler]

[\spoiler]

darwinfeeshyChinaski
  • Tom_A said:

Nando's Peri Peri is legendary, i wish there were more Nando's in the US. Pretty sure they're just around like Virginia and DC. 
    it has pretty wide distribution, I've bought it at Safeway here in Colorado.
  • edited December 2017
    cdrive said:

This is the stuff they serve at Raising Cane's and it is fucking DELICIOUS.
    cdrive
    I mean, Herdez is good, but it's not HOT... you call yourself a Texan @cdrive ?? 
    Chinaskicdrive
    This is what I am talking about... It's not a successful pho night if my lips aren't numb afterward.

darwinfeeshy
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    I mean, Herdez is good, but it's not HOT... you call yourself a Texan @cdrive ?? 
    ohhhh shots fired! haha
    akritenbrinkcdrive
    Chinaski said:
    ohhhh shots fired! haha
    I mean... it says MEDIUM on the bottle LOL
    Chinaski
    edited December 2017
    Haha Ok solid burn returned. Guac salsa isn’t hot. Whatevs it’s good.

@akritenbrink ,But yes that chili oil is the jam. I usually have white boy problems when I ask for a little bit of sesame oil for what I do w/ my dumplings. It’s like “ah shit he isn’t supposed to know!” And I’m like “I’ll pay for some!”  But a little soy sauce and sesame oil and chili oil is my jam.
    Chinaski
    @cdrive Oh I get the evil eye every time I ask for the chili oil. I just eyeball them right back. 

Chinaskicdrive
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited December 2017
    For Eastern North Carolina style BBQ, any good establishment will have homemade sauce at the table, consisting mostly of apple cider vinegar with red pepper flakes, and a dash of salt (some do add a bit of brown sugar). The tartness of the vinegar and the little kick from the pepper is the perfect compliment to the fatty chopped whole-hog bbq.

cdriveChinaskiMofojones333
    ^ Winner. Thread closed.
    akritenbrink