Disney closes out on deal to buy Fox (partial assets).

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/sorry-deadpool-ryan-reynolds-x-mens-wolverine-avengers-unite-disneyfox-close-acquisition-deal-752102

It looks like this deal has been closed. Marvel is now almost completely under one roof now. What I really wonder is if this included the rights to Star Wars that Fox has, if so Disney would have all the marbles.  
Brawn

Comments

• I forget, does the include fantastic 4 as well?  I would love to see Dr. Doom or Galactose in the MCU.
    Brawn
  • Shum said:
    I forget, does the include fantastic 4 as well?  I would love to see Dr. Doom or Galactose in the MCU.
    The only things missing are Spider-Man (Sony) and the Individual Incredible Hulk(s). 
    Brawn
  • Shum said:
    I forget, does the include fantastic 4 as well?  I would love to see Dr. Doom or Galactose in the MCU.
    Yup they do 
    Brawn
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    "This doesn't include Fox's sports and news assets."

Thank god, Disney is already evil enough.
    Elisa
  • Well they got their villain for Phase 4. I really hope they don’t pull that stupid cloud shit from FF and actually make him a giant being. 

Also adding X-men to support the avengers moving forward will be huge. 
    Brawn
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited December 2017
    Disney slowly but surely buying everything. 
    I both like the idea of integrating all Marvel stuff and am troubled by the wider implications of Disney conglomerating so much media. 
    darwinfeeshyBrawnpavlovsbell
  • Shum said:
    Is Galactose a fearsome titan who reigns terror on the dairy-intolerant?
    MurderbearGeomecReniBrawnAww_PHuuCkCory
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Freddy said:

Disclaimer: I work for Disney, and after 15 years in the tech industry at 6 other companies-- and now at a tech-only building at Disney...

For the first time in my life I can look around and see races and genders equally represented.  On each floor, even. It's not on accident.

We rarely do forced-march weekend/nighttime work. To me it's amazing the accommodations they make for the sake of employees' families..  I haven't seen it anywhere else. 

As far as the franchises go-- Disney bought Marvel for $4B.  Then what happened-- Guardians 1&2, Iron Man 3, the Avengers, Logan, etc... Each grossed a billion, does that need apology?  And then there's Star Wars.. Evil? Anything but. 

Disney owns ABC and ESPN.. Evil? Mmmm, nah. 

So I'm curious why you think Disney is evil? The amusement park ride lines were too long?  Disney developed Fast Pass.  You don't like Fast Pass??

If your complaint is about some recent licensed video game, developed elsewhere, then you should be standing on your front lawn shouting at a different cloud.
  • Ajas said:
    So I'm curious why you think Disney is evil?
    I wouldn't say that Disney is more evil than other corporations of the same size. The thing is, corporations of that size are amoral, at best. Their sole purpose is growth in order to make money for their shareholders. Now I'm not here to debate capitalism, economic growth, business, yada yada, I'm just saying that Disney a huge company that does huge company things.

For example, Disney recently banned LA Times critics from movie screenings as punishment for a piece the LA Times ran on Disney's questionable lobbying of the Anaheim government.

Also, Disney has notoriously lobbied the Federal government for various copyright extensions and protections and most, if not all, have passed.

So, because of the reasons above, I think Disney's recent pattern of acquisitions is troubling. I think the film industry will suffer if most of the major production companies are under one umbrella.
    ksa1001BrawnbizmarkiefaderElisa
  • There’s also like the time they tried to trademark “Dia de los Muertos” as a concept before course correcting with Coco so yeah Disney certainly has its faults. 
    Elisa
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    "Has its faults" is fine with me. Darwinfeeshy brought up two good ones. But it's a small cost compared against a large benefit for most people. I think most people are happy to see these licenses united under one capable roof.

I can say personally-- the fact that the workplace is equally represented across races and genders is what most impressed me.
  • The Marvel fan in me wants to be excited about this but the communist(joking) in me is really worried about Disney buying all of its completion. I also thought Fox was starting to do a good job. Deadpool, Logan and The Runaways are all awesome and The New Mutants looks great. In the short term it will be cool to see all these properties together but in the long term its hard to feel good about it. 
    pavlovsbellBrawn
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Yes, you might get the X-Men on-brand movie you've always wanted (I was an X-Men comic fan who gave up on the movies). However, corporations getting bigger and bigger and merging with competition is rarely a good thing. Homogeneity is not good.

And what does this mean for FX and FXX? Will Disney give them free reign, as they kinda sorta did Miramax? Or because it is television and therefore in people's homes, will Disney's family-friendly branding ask them to tone it down just a tad? Personally, I don't like it.
    ElisaAjasGredalBeeBrawnallthewayhome
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    That's a good point... I hope that Disney would start to do R-rated productions with the Fox rights.
    Brawn
  • Ajas said:
    That's a good point... I hope that Disney would start to do R-rated productions with the Fox rights.
    They used to have Miramax, which was its subsidiary that released R rated Movies. Disney isn’t stupid and wouldn’t kill all R rated releases. They just wouldn’t release them under the Disney logo. There is also the less talked about Fox Searchlight they can use for independent movies. I think people are jumping the gun a bit worrying that everything will be “kid friendly” all of a sudden. 
  • Freddy said:

I read it didnt include FS1 but does include all the regional pieces ie local baseball tv deals. There was also a thought dont pay for Cowherd and Bayless to come back in when they are on big bucks.

I love ESPN although the view we get here is very streamlined because we only have ESPN and ESPN 2. ESPN is also a premium package here instead of part of the base cable package so you have to be a fan here to buy in.
  • Can this just get confirmed already? 
  • KingKobra said:
    Ajas said:
    They used to have Miramax, which was its subsidiary that released R rated Movies. Disney isn’t stupid and wouldn’t kill all R rated releases. They just wouldn’t release them under the Disney logo. There is also the less talked about Fox Searchlight they can use for independent movies. I think people are jumping the gun a bit worrying that everything will be “kid friendly” all of a sudden. 
    That's kinda what our thaught would happen and that the non r rated films would be under Disney and they can just keep r rated separate but in the same universe