309 - eps3.8_stage3.torrent

Ladies and gentlemen... Sam Esmail.
KingKobra

Comments

• edited December 2017
    +1 for Angel from Montgomery.  It's about the last thing I'd want to bone to, but I'm happy Esmail put it in.
    Elisarkcrawf
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard while the episode was directed by Sam, it was written by Kyle Bradstreet and Courtney Looney. 

The use of light, especially early on was interesting to see. Lots of low light “natural light” scenes this week. The way this show is shot and the music used are highlights to me even when an episode is bad. 

a few time hops in this episode, going forward to go back to see what got us to where we are. Price’s speech was great, but I’m a sucker for Cristofer and his work. We are getting small peeks behind the curtain of power. 

Angela’s decent into madness has been played so well by Doubleday. I can “feel” the seeds of doubt as they plant themselves into her mind.

Finally WR makes an appearance. She is always calm when it comes to Elliot, even when finding out what he and Darlene are doing. It seems (at least for now) that Elliot and Darlene are still not thinking big enough, or far enough ahead. I have my doubts that Elliot got a “win” by hacking DA, but rather he was allowed to think he did.

Best quote of the night for me “You can’t force an agenda Mr Alderson, you have to inspire one”

Elisa
  • Wow, I have better computer security than Elliott. Left my computer unlocked indeed. 
    Elisa
  • edited December 2017
    Tyrell (to Mr. Robot): No puppet. No puppet. You're the puppet!

ElisaFlukes
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited December 2017
    We’ve gone full on psychotic Angela.  She’s responding to internal stimuli. 
    ElisaKingKobra
  • Phillip <3 Angela.

It seems like Darlene won't survive the next episode, unless maybe Dom can shoot her way out of the FBI building.

Elisa
  • ebuchholzebuchholz Cleveland, OH
    So Price / Tyrell / Elliot / Darlene / Dom vs. WR and DA? I could see how this could be an interesting  Season 4.
    Elisa
  • GeorgexileGeorgexile Dominican Republic
    this episode was the most enjoyable of the series for me so far. it hasn't sink in yet but every scene had me at the edge of my seat except for the end which felt a little cartoon villain. also a little disappointment in dom for not smoking her boss already.. "i just be sitting smoking these tress girl, i don't know what the fuck you talking about" best line of the episode.
    Elisa
  • GeorgexileGeorgexile Dominican Republic
    i almost spilled my drink laughing when tyrell felt the constipation pains standing next to the crib. thanks A.Ron.
  • ebuchholz said:
    So Price / Tyrell / Elliot / Darlene / Dom vs. WR and DA? I could see how this could be an interesting  Season 4

The former could fracture all to easily. Some serious trust obstacles  need to be overcome before that team starts working together. Perhaps some team building activities, lets beat up a hobo excursion?
  • Did it seem flimsy for Darlene to attempt the seduction game on Dom? It wouldn't occur to her that Dom would be to wise for such a con? 

What are are the chances Irving calls this woman back and tries selling her another car? He'd probably have the nerve to sell her the very same car Elliot hacked.
  •  I didn’t think about the keylogger until the podcast. I have encryption keys that are over 100+ characters that I have never ever keyed in. If F society made a real big encryption key, the only thing a key logger would get is Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V or whatever the Unix equivalent is. 
  • adobo1148 said:
    ebuchholz said:
    So Price / Tyrell / Elliot / Darlene / Dom vs. WR and DA? I could see how this could be an interesting  Season 4

The former could fracture all to easily. Some serious trust obstacles  need to be overcome before that team starts working together. Perhaps some team building activities, lets beat up a hobo excursion?
    Hey now leave Angela out of this.

@Doctor_Nick You're thinking like someone that actually values the key and is retaining it, and therefore saving it elsewhere to copy and paste. You wouldn't do that with something you had no intention of retaining.
  • Oh and I really hope they never kill off Darlene or Elliott or Dom in this show.
    KingKobra
  • ghm3 said:
    Oh and I really hope they never kill off Darlene or Elliott or Dom in this show.
    I have a really strong feeling that Darlene’s living on borrowed time.
    Elisa
  • Love how the discussion last episode was about Angela's apartment not being literally black, but just a stylistic lighting decision for the split screen view with Elliot.

Smash cut to: holy shit, she literally took a black paint roller to the walls! Lol

Shes definitely gone to full-on cuckoo land...
    GeorgexileElisa
  • adobo1148 said:
    Did it seem flimsy for Darlene to attempt the seduction game on Dom? It wouldn't occur to her that Dom would be to wise for such a con?
    Desperate times call for flimsy measures :-)
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited December 2017
    Wasn't a fan of this one. It was ok dramatically, but the suspension of disbelief became too great.

The whole time with Dom and Darlene, I kept thinking everyone had to be working a con we hadn't been shown yet. I didn't buy Dom falling for that seduction, so I figured she was playing along. Just because an informant isn't an informant anymore, doesn't mean they won't be again. It's disappointing that Dom is that stupid. Characters being dumb is a shortcut. I suppose they've played up her loneliness in the past, but they still didn't sell it.

I didn't buy Darlene not looking over her shoulder every 2 seconds when she was cracking the safe, so I started wondering if she thought getting caught was her best option for getting back in the FBI building.

I also had the feeling, because this all seemed so clumsy, that at some point Darlene and Dom must have decided to trick the FBI boss into incriminating himself, and at one point it really seemed like they were working him.  

Stage Three - i don't know why the Dark Army would even entertain this, and then be stupid enough not to check his computer and then their thumb drive. "What now, you've kept a stage secret this whole time? Tell me more"
    This might make sense if they genuinely felt Elliott was a genius crucial to their plans, but it's more unclear to me than ever why they needed him in the first place.

Finally - "no puppet" - that was terribly forced and I was pretty much turned off from then on. I don't object to winks like that if they work in context, but it was bizarre and juvenile even for Wellick. 

TheHeardTheorem
  • It really bothers me that Elliot uses Linux Mint. I mean, maybe it's good for beginners of Unix systems but for anyone who cares about security, Mint is a horrible choice as it is quite an insecure operating system by Linux standards. 
  • Gan said:
    It really bothers me that Elliot uses Linux Mint. I mean, maybe it's good for beginners of Unix systems but for anyone who cares about security, Mint is a horrible choice as it is quite an insecure operating system by Linux standards. 
    Yeah. My impression is that he only uses Linux Mint as a front. When he's hacking he switches to Kali Linux.

I'm also irrationally bothered by his l33t backlit gaming keyboards, although I guess the lighting in his apartment is pretty bad.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited December 2017
    I’m very surprised Elliot doesn’t have some serious eyesight issues given how often he seems to stare at a computer screen in his poorly lit apartment. 
  • Alkaid13 said:
    I’m very surprised Elliot doesn’t have some serious eyesight issues given how often he seems to stare at a computer screen in his poorly lit apartment. 
    ...Uh, why do you think he has bug eyes?
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited December 2017
    I want to see some bug eyed glasses on those bug eyes by the end of this series.
    DoubleA_Ron
  • I just asked for the daily 5/9 on the Amazon market app and it let me play the CYOA game. Has anyone else seen tried this? 
  • Ok so the guys were saying, “ I don’t understand why Price would pick allsafe after the Angela encounter”. On my second watch with my wife (props to her), she said to me because white rose had him do it. So, white rose has price pick all safe because shes behind the hack with mr robot / Elliott at allsafe. Although price didn’t know why, he was placed as ceo and was doing what white rose said. 
    Wow, just wow, love this show!
    Elisa
  • I had the same feeling that A.ron talked about on the podcast, that it didn't really feel believable or didn't work for me, the whole "Darlene seducing Dom scenario"... felt very unnatural and like both characers are too smart for it to happen the way it happened. 

I know I am not the first to say this, but I agree that there could likely exist a plan between Darlene and Dom, to take down Dom's boss at the FBI. If so, that is a conversation we as the audience did not get to see... (happened off screen?).

Hmm, if I say GoT S 7, =  2 female characters making a plan off screen, ring any bells with anyone.... ?  :P Quite similar storytelling, if it should be true in this case too. I wasn't too fond of that kind of storytelling in GoT... but, I'll forgive these shows cause I love them..  :) 
    Elisa
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited December 2017
    chrisk said:
    Wasn't a fan of this one. It was ok dramatically, but the suspension of disbelief became too great.

The whole time with Dom and Darlene, I kept thinking everyone had to be working a con we hadn't been shown yet. I didn't buy Dom falling for that seduction, so I figured she was playing along. Just because an informant isn't an informant anymore, doesn't mean they won't be again. It's disappointing that Dom is that stupid. Characters being dumb is a shortcut. I suppose they've played up her loneliness in the past, but they still didn't sell it.
    I think smart people sometimes do stupid things when sex is involved...they'd showed these two sharing some kind of chemistry in the past, and they were drunk.  In regards to Dom's loneliness - I'm asking this sincerely, and don't mean for it to sound snarky - how much screen time would you expect the show to dictate to establishing her loneliness in order for this scene to be believable?
    Elisa
  • chrisk said:

I think smart people sometimes do stupid things when sex is involved...they'd showed these two sharing some kind of chemistry in the past, and they were drunk.  In regards to Dom's loneliness - I'm asking this sincerely, and don't mean for it to sound snarky - how much screen time would you expect the show to dictate to establishing her loneliness in order for this scene to be believable?
    I would add that hasn’t been already established. They laid the groundwork last season with her Alexa and chat room scenes. We KNOW she’s very lonely and that is a major vulnerability. Just because someone is smart, doesn’t mean they can’t be exploited. 
    ElisaFlukeshypergenesbCretanBull
  • chrisk said:

I didn't buy Darlene not looking over her shoulder every 2 seconds when she was cracking the safe, so I started wondering if she thought getting caught was her best option for getting back in the FBI building.

I also had the feeling, because this all seemed so clumsy, that at some point Darlene and Dom must have decided to trick the FBI boss into incriminating himself, and at one point it really seemed like they were working him.  

Stage Three - i don't know why the Dark Army would even entertain this, and then be stupid enough not to check his computer and then their thumb drive. "What now, you've kept a stage secret this whole time? Tell me more"
    This might make sense if they genuinely felt Elliott was a genius crucial to their plans, but it's more unclear to me than ever why they needed him in the first place.

Finally - "no puppet" - that was terribly forced and I was pretty much turned off from then on. I don't object to winks like that if they work in context, but it was bizarre and juvenile even for Wellick. 

You just saved my fat fingers a whole lot of typing and backspacing on my phone! There were quite a few things in this episode that felt clunky to me like the return to the Fun Society arcade; the meeting place between Elliott and the Dark Army; Angela channeling the spirit of Cathy Anne (SNL Weekend Update) and the girl playing the wine glasses were all a bit much for my suspension of disbelief