The Disaster Artist

picorock80picorock80 San Bernardino Ca
I have never seen The Room, should I watch it first before seeing The Disaster Artist?

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I have never seen The Room, should I watch it first before seeing The Disaster Artist?
    I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I haven't seen The Disaster Artist (yet), but have read the book and seen The Room countless times, as my avatar probably suggests. I say see The Room first. But I doubt it is required watching to enjoy The Disaster Artist. You will probably enjoy it a bit more if you have, I'd imagine. 
    picorock80
  • picorock80picorock80 San Bernardino Ca
    Cool. Thanks @Garthgou81
  • I need to vent a little right now, I desperately want to see this movie, and the damn commercials say "Everywhere Friday" (tomorrow.) This film isn't playing within 250 miles of me. Hell, don't think it is playing in my entire damn state. Really hoping for a continue expand release in the coming weeks. (I'm in Montana, even though my profile says Texas)
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    sean.ray said:
    I need to vent a little right now, I desperately want to see this movie, and the damn commercials say "Everywhere Friday" (tomorrow.) This film isn't playing within 250 miles of me. Hell, don't think it is playing in my entire damn state. Really hoping for a continue expand release in the coming weeks. (I'm in Montana, even though my profile says Texas)
    That's the worst. That used to happen all the time when I lived in Omaha.
    2manyboogers
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I'm seeing it this afternoon. I watched The Room for the first time earlier in the week and I honestly couldn't believe what I was watching haha. Worth it for the never ending R&B sex scenes alone, although I must say much of the dialogue did leave an unpleasant misogynistic taste in my mouth.
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City

Should listen to the interview James Franco just did with Marc Maron. Its a bit long so if you are not a fan of his you can skip to the 1 hour 22 minutes mark where they start talking about The Disaster Artist and Tommy Wiseau.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-870-james-franco

akritenbrink
  • Good listen here from the How Did This Get Made? folks:

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/the-disaster-artist/
    picorock80
  • sean.ray said:
    I need to vent a little right now, I desperately want to see this movie, and the damn commercials say "Everywhere Friday" (tomorrow.) This film isn't playing within 250 miles of me. Hell, don't think it is playing in my entire damn state. Really hoping for a continue expand release in the coming weeks. (I'm in Montana, even though my profile says Texas)
    I feel like if they claim everywhere and it isn’t everywhere then you have the green light morally to pirate the movie
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Just saw it. Loved it. Franco is transformative. Was really impressed with the range of emotion that they incorporated, I assumed it was going to be a flat out spoofy comedy but it has its sadder and more heartwarming moments too!
    Freddypicorock80
  • I can't wait to see it.  For years I was in an improv troupe and we called our team "My Favorite Customer" as a tribute to The Room.  I'll just leave this here for all to enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj72DfGg5SI
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Most meta movie ever?
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    amyja89 said:
    Just saw it. Loved it. Franco is transformative. Was really impressed with the range of emotion that they incorporated, I assumed it was going to be a flat out spoofy comedy but it has its sadder and more heartwarming moments too!
    It's easily his best role. Seriously, I trust him as an artist now. Weird shit.

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    gguenot said:
    sean.ray said:
    I feel like if they claim everywhere and it isn’t everywhere then you have the green light morally to pirate the movie
    Absolutely.  Any artist worth their salt would 100% percent support this view, too.
    picorock80
  • JeffreyJeffrey Des Moines
    Really good movie -- very funny but also has a lot of heart. If you watch a few clips on YouTube you should be fine -- you don't have to watch all of The Room before you see The Disaster Artist.

I think Franco has a shot at a Best Actor nomination in the Oscars. Film might make the cut for Best Picture now that there are 10 nominees.
    picorock80
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Man, I really wish I could have been a guest on the guy's taping of their review. I had so many thoughts and even got a shout out! 
    Dummygguenotpicorock80
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited December 2017
    Overall, I left wanting to watch the superior movie, Ed Wood. :/   Or just wanted a straight documentary. (which i know can't happen because Tommy has already stopped a few from distribution.) 

It just felt like a bunch of actor friends making a movie about a phenomenon that's kinda already past it's prime. Especially considering I went to a Room showing about 5 years ago. It was popular then for sure, but not just the straight out frat party it has become now (the normies caught wise). My friends and I decided to go to a showing again before the Disaster Artist and jesus... it's just a ton of drunk people yelling now...and not in a fun way. At least in the LA show went to, maybe in other cities, it's better. The funniest parts of the Disaster Artist were the moments DIRECTLY related to the parts of the movie we all know and love. Everything else is pretty average. I give Franco all the credit for his performance, but I really wish a director with more of a vision and thesis for this film could have taken over.  
    picorock80JaimieT
    I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I haven't seen The Disaster Artist (yet), but have read the book and seen The Room countless times, as my avatar probably suggests. I say see The Room first. But I doubt it is required watching to enjoy The Disaster Artist. You will probably enjoy it a bit more if you have, I'd imagine. 
    I was able to get a copy from a friend over the weekend, most of my friends have either never watch it or tune out after 20 minutes of viewing. I know it’s bad acting but I’m going to give it a chance and see what cinema story Tommy Wisea is telling. 
    edited December 2017
    Can we please get a live watch of Jim & Aron watching The Room?
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Do we really want to watch two grown men sit side-by-side on a couch watching three separate, 10-minute long sex scenes?

Yes. 

@picorock80 ;
    picorock80Kela15gguenotA_Ron_Hubbard
    Absolutely. Get Jim drunk and he can do all the lines in his Scottish accent. 
    Kela15
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited December 2017
    Red Letter Media did an audio commentary track of The Room on Sunday and a review of TDA yesterday. They didn't love TDA, kept comparing it unfavorably to Ed Wood (@aberry89). I think I'm just gonna read the book. The existence of TDA got me to finally watch The Room, and I don't need any nostalgia. The TDA book evidently shows the "dark psychological underpinnings" of the behind-the-scenes, while the movie supposedly paints the two male leads as friends.

And FWIW, @picorock80, they felt TDA was poorly set up for anyone who hadn't seen The Room. Maybe read Wikipedia about it first, at the very least. 
    picorock80
  • Unless you’re a huge Rogan and Franco fan, you should definitely see The Room prior to watching TDA. Otherwise uou’ll be sitting in the theater chucking with everyone for some parts and silent when people are belly laughing and wondering why they’re laughing.