310 - shutdown -r

Directed by Sam Esmail
Elisa

Comments

• edited December 2017
    Well cot dang that was a great episode. 

Edit, full range of emotions felt. That ending was, I don’t know...I was thinking if this car goes to 88 off the line it’s a wrap....what we get is V,E,R,A *mind has melted* 
    Elisa
  • Directed by Sam Esmail
    Written by him as well. 
    Elisa
  • God damn what a finale. 
    KingKobraElisa
  • Bobby Canavale is a beast.
    KingKobraElisaMelonusk
  • Some bullet points 

The scene with Price and Angela almost made me tear. People guessed this reveal, but it still had impact. 

Leon may be the MVP of these past two seasons. 

Irving came out as much more powerful than expected. We also found out that he used to be WR lover and assistant. That was a brutal execution scene, but Irving still threw some dark humor in there. 

Dom finally gave Darlene something that’s been coming to her. On top of this Darlene reveals that Elliot was never pushed. 

As usual the music and shot selection I thought was fantastic. So many emotions with this episode. Bravo Sam, Bravo. 
    Alkaid13ElisaCretanBullMelonusk
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited December 2017
    They’re bringing back Vera though? What a play Esmail. 
    GredalBeeElisa
  • This was a great episode.  I loved that we have a bit of pushback from the time travel theory.  Someone has heard of WR’s plan and didn’t believe it (Price). WR could just be full of shit, and Elliot spends the rest of the show taking WR down.

Speaking of Price, Elliot finally has a potential ally that could give him some power to take on WR. I like this, because like the guys on the podcast I didn’t understand how Elliot could take down WR with the DA breathing down his neck. Maybe Price can give him some leeway.  Maybe Angela becomes a conflicted double agent or something... lots of ways to move the show I’m excited.

I thought the scene revealing that Elliot jumped out the window was pretty thematic with the preceding scene. Almost like “no you weren’t forced, you chose it.” They’re not forced into these decisions they choose them.

i think season 4 is confirmed, but if this was the final episode how would you feel? Would this be a satisfying ending?
    GredalBeeElisa
  • No need to think, show was renewed before finale. I think this would have been a “fine” series finale. It tied up many things while leaving some things Newley opened. 
    Elisa
  • Holy axe murderer Bobby Cannavale. I guess that's how you flip an FBI agent.

Loved M83 coming in strong in the final scene.

Well done Esmail, that was a great season of television.
    Elisa
  • edited December 2017
    Vera as a character is about as interesting as the dog guy returning to cause more trouble.  But I'll allow it because I think it works like a timeline and pays off some of this timey wimey stuff.

If you rewind events to before 5/9, Vera was in the picture and Mr. Robot/Elliot were on the same team.  They essentially rewind the events and undo 5/9, complete with Superman reversing time around the world.  Now we're back to a point where Vera is in the picture and Mr. Robot/Elliot are on the same team again.  They could have went in a million different directions, but they decided to bring back a low level drug dealer from season 1.  Because undoing the 5/9 hack moves Elliot backwards on his timeline and he's in the same place he was in season 1.

Am I making sense here or am I wide-eyed talking to my betta fish like Angela?
    Doctor_Nick
  • GredalBee said:
    Vera as a character is about as interesting as the dog guy returning to cause more trouble.  But I'll allow it because I think it works like a timeline and pays off some of these BTTF and sci-fi teases.

If you rewind events to before 5/9, Vera is a problem and Mr. Robot/Elliot were on the same team.  They essentially rewind those events and undo 5/9, complete with Superman reversing time around the world.  Now we're back to a point where Vera is a problem and Mr. Robot/Elliot are on the same team again.  They could have went in a million different directions, but they decided to bring back a low level drug dealer from season 1.  Because undoing the 5/9 hack moves Elliot backwards on his timeline and he's in the same place he was in season 1.

Am I making sense here or am I wide-eyed talking to my betta fish like Angela?
    You might want to check your bread, I think it’s moldy and it went to your head ;) 

I think the questions we are asking (What does Vera coming back signify) is exactly what we should be asking. Did we just get reset after Elliot pressed enter? Are we using multiverse angle where this is the same world just slightly different? Did we miss all of the clues early on to show that the world was already bad (pre hack)? 
  • I dunno how to feel about the Vera thing. 
  • I don’t think there’s anything to feel about Vera to be honest, he’s either going to be an interesting addition next season or not, hard to judge just based on his brief inclusions in S1 and this episode. 
    Elisa
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited December 2017
    Was a little disappointed the Darlene/Dom team-up didn't amount to much. The sequence of events played out pretty much as presented last episode with Darlene trying poorly to get the keycard and Dom getting easily played.

Seems like it would have been easy with just a couple of lines and a little tweak to a couple of scenes to set-up that they were running a sting on Santiago after having to genuinely trust each other. Everything could play out as shown this episode and just would have made both characters look a little smarter about what's going on. 

ElisaNoobieDoozalexander.klassen
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Gan said:
    I dunno how to feel about the Vera thing. 
    Not my favorite either. I loved the episode up to that point and think this is just a terrific season, very interesting and lots of fun. So, maybe Vera will suck and we can start memeing only the odd seasons of Mr. Robot are any good, but I'm admiring what Esmail is doing enough to trust him with the story. 

I also like other above kind of like the return to season one vibe that Vera and the Superman clip hinted at. Same mission, different target. It's not E-Corp, it's the 0.1 percent. I also liked how the show got into a sociopath economic argument with itself. Pretty cute. 
    Elisaebuchholz
  • edited December 2017
    So I misremembered Season 1 and thought that Vera had died and that his reappearance was proof that White Rose COULD bring people back and I was totally blown away. The episode is a lot more fun if you watch it with that piece of incorrect information, lol. (Nevermind why would White Rose have brought back Vera).
    Schluppalexander.klassenMelonusk
  • edited December 2017
    Yeah, I felt like Elliot trying to remember if Vera died in season one. After thinking hard about it and with the superman and white Rose I will find you fresh in my mind I was pretty sure he did. I was already going like suck this Price. Great mindfuck.
    I also liked that Elliot couldn't do much with the information of the dark army directly, only use it to boast about his own skills to make an argument he could fix the situation. Good pitch.
  • ebuchholzebuchholz Cleveland, OH
    You knew the axe had to get used as soon as we saw it the first time. Santiago *was* kind of a dick... A fitting end.

You also knew that Elliot wasn't pushed by his dad. Unexpected that it wasn't Mr. Robot that "pushed" him though.

I was surprised by the Irving reveal, but it makes sense that he had that much juice. Wonder how he met WR? Really great character.

M83 was a great call on statement music, and really encapsulated my sentiment on the 5/9 arc and the feeling of hope in the city at the end. The sound editing and music has been strong all season.

Mr. Robot is definitely in my top 5 this year, maybe top 3... This season was on par in a lot of ways to Leftovers S3 for me this year, even without the dramatic acting chops. Just good in a different way.

Vera does not excite me. The war on the .01% does. Hope they don't try to make them equal arcs.

Elisa
  • Best show on tv right now. Watch out game of thrones. Haha
    ElisaCretanBull
  • I wonder if by undoing the hack, Elliot may have inadvertently prevented or at least delayed Chinas annexation of the congo? 
  • I feel like any federal agent that will sell out their country when their family is threatened is a shitty public servant, but I expect that Esmail still wants us to be rooting for Dom. This is the best possible moment for her to stand up to the Dark Army - they just lost their mole and she still has her reputation and would presumably have the full strength of the FBI behind her - so hopefully she does that.
  • Loved the shot of Irving standing in the doorway, waiting for Grant to arrive.
    He's casually cleaning his fingernails.
    Straight out of the Tarantino playbook.
  • KingKobra said:

Leon may be the MVP of these past two seasons.
    I'm having a hard time thinking of a character/actor who left such a giant impression based on (relatively) little screen time.
    KingKobraNoobieDooz
  • I laughed way too hard when A.Ron said "up and Gummer"
    Elisa
  • hot damn what a great season of television. That bit where Elliot responded with almost a roar of "BECAUSE I AM"

Chills man.

Also, if anybody wants to do some chatting on this (and other things bald move) we've got a discord server here : https://discord.gg/WbJCgY7
    Elisa