The Last Jedi (Spoilers Section)

1111213141517»

Comments

• This is obviously going to work and is of course not a waste of anyone’s time or money...

https://www.remakethelastjedi.com/
    Shoot, if some fan working on their own edit offered him ten bucks Mark Hamill would probably show up and say some lines in front of a green screen to help the cause.
    JaimieTJoshuaHeter
  • I think the TLJ blame will start for real if a workmanlike JJ Abrams 3rd film disappoints at the box office. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I still have yet to meet a TLJ hater in real life. Although, I am tall as fuck and scary looking in general. Maybe people just lie to me since I look like I would rip arms off over the results of a dice game.
  • "Let the wookie believe the movie was good."
    Doctor_NickJoshuaHeterFreddyDaveyMac
  • Not that anyone is asking... but after Lunch I did a little more digging in regard to my Star Wars question, which was...

"The original Star Wars trilogy pitted the Empire against the Rebellion. That’s a very simple, familiar, and easy to understand conflict.The new Star Wars trilogy includes the New Republic, the Resistance, and the First Order. The Resistance isn’t just the military of the New Republic. Or... is it? Is The First Order then just a wildly successful terrorist organization? If the First Order has enough resources to build the Starkiller base in TFA and to hand the Resistance their ass in TLJ, how is the New Republic still standing... unless the New Republic has a military over and above the Resistance in which case I don’t understand what the Resistance is. Maybe just a branch of the New Republic military? Or, no one at Disney bothered to think about this?"

Here's what seems to be the answer: after the Battle of Endor in ROTJ, the remnants of the Empire fled to the outer rim and the "unknown zones". The New Republic decided that (as crazy / plot convenient-y as this sounds) it would be too expensive / difficult to chase them down and finish them off. So, they sort of set up shop in the middle of nowhere, conceived their own government (based on Empire ideals) and have been rebuilding, waiting to make their comeback, which they were in the midst of beginning in TFA.

Meanwhile, the New Republic does not approve of the Resistance officially, but its higher-ups are backing them financially under the table. That said, this doesn't answer the question of whether or not the New Republic has their own fighting force, but it would seem crazy for them to not have some sort of military. But then, if they do, why don't we ever see them fighting the First Order who seem like they are well on their way to reestablishing the Empire?

Even if all these very basic, fundamental questions have answers (I'm skeptical that they do.), it still counts against the New Trilogy films that they are answered in works outside the actual films (e.g. novelizations, etc.). Disney was too focused on recouping its 4 Billion dollar investment to pause and do some common sense world building.
  • John Boyega had an interview where he discussed Star Wars: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/john-boyega-interview-2020

He talks about how Rian Johnson essentially ruined his character and JJ Abrams tried his best to salvage what was left of it.

• nstinson said:
    John Boyega had an interview where he discussed Star Wars: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/john-boyega-interview-2020

He talks about how Rian Johnson essentially ruined his character and JJ Abrams tried his best to salvage what was left of it.

If what we saw in TRoS was Abrams best attempt to “salvage” Finn’s character (which didn’t need salvaging imo) , JJ should hang up the towel. 
    CretanBull
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Unfortunately to the untrained eye, salvage jobs and bad writing are indistinguishable. I can see it, but I've been playing with plot points for almost 15 years.
    asmallcat
  • Oh man going back one page and seeing my comments from 2 years ago. Holy shit. The Last Jedi feels like it came out a decade ago. These last two years have been so draining. 

I feel I do have to adjust my opinion of the movie looking back though. If memory serves I was firmly in the "it was fine" camp. But how long has The Last Skywalker or whatever been out now and I still haven't even bothered watching it on Disney + shows that TLJ made me REALLY not care at all about these characters or the story. So it looks like it wasn't fine. I think I actually didn't like it at all but wanted to be contrarian to all the "IT WAS TERRIBLE" takes so I convinced myself I liked it. 

At least I am legit excited for Mandalorian season 2! Back October 30 of this year baby! 
    ken hale
  • asmallcat said:
    But how long has The Last Skywalker or whatever been out now and I still haven't even bothered watching it on Disney + shows that TLJ made me REALLY not care at all about these characters or the story. 
    This, 100%.  Force Awakens is still the only movie I've seen twice in the theater.  I was HYPED.  But I haven't even bothered to watch the last one, either.  I can't imagine the franchise ever recapturing my interest.  Maybe I should give Mandalorian a shot.
    Cory
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited September 2
    If anyone is interested in my opinion (since I used to be pretty vocal about this)...

I really like The Force Awakens. I think it's fun and inspiring, and it makes you excited about where the characters are going to go.

The Last Jedi has grown on me a little bit more, but I only appreciate it as a stand-alone film. It's almost in the same category that I would put fan fiction (and I don't see fan fiction as an insult!). A very artistic endeavor, but a horrible misstep for the penultimate episode of a 9 episode story.

Rise of Skywalker is a 2/10 movie and I will never watch it again. There are a few small moments I like, hence the 2. 
    Cory
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    ken hale said:
    asmallcat said:
    But how long has The Last Skywalker or whatever been out now and I still haven't even bothered watching it on Disney + shows that TLJ made me REALLY not care at all about these characters or the story. 
    This, 100%.  Force Awakens is still the only movie I've seen twice in the theater.  I was HYPED.  But I haven't even bothered to watch the last one, either.  I can't imagine the franchise ever recapturing my interest.  Maybe I should give Mandalorian a shot.
    I would give The Mandalorian a shot. I am not a Star Wars fan, and always felt like I should have my geek card revoked because of that. That said, I loved The Mandalorian because it gave us a different flavor of the universe that made things much more interesting to me. It scratched a number of different itches that I didn't know Stars Wars could. 
    Deeken hale
  • edited September 2
    ken hale said:
    asmallcat said:
    I would give The Mandalorian a shot. I am not a Star Wars fan, and always felt like I should have my geek card revoked because of that. That said, I loved The Mandalorian because it gave us a different flavor of the universe that made things much more interesting to me. It scratched a number of different itches that I didn't know Stars Wars could. 
    As a life long SW fan, one of the best things about the Mandalorian is you almost never see a character you know from outside the show. It's so refreshing in the SW universe. 
    ken hale
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I agree with @Garthgou81 - I have zero interest in the Star Wars movies but I loved The Mandalorian. 
  • nstinson said:
    John Boyega had an interview where he discussed Star Wars: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/john-boyega-interview-2020

he also tweeted his praise about tROS and how happy he was to be away from 8 and somehow 9 turned out to be a worse turd than 8. 
    asmallcat said:
    ken hale said:
    asmallcat said:
    As a life long SW fan, one of the best things about the Mandalorian is you almost never see a character you know from outside the show. It's so refreshing in the SW universe. 
    This is a problem in SW games I have found. I have played some of them, and they always feel the need to throw in a scene where you run into Han or Leia or whoever. At that point, I want to quit because it turns into fan service instead of just telling a good story. It is a huge world out there, but you casually run into Chewbacca? Weird. The Mandalorian avoids that while still coloring inside the lines of the SW universe. 
  • asmallcat said:
    ken hale said:
    asmallcat said:
    This is a problem in SW games I have found. I have played some of them, and they always feel the need to throw in a scene where you run into Han or Leia or whoever. At that point, I want to quit because it turns into fan service instead of just telling a good story. It is a huge world out there, but you casually run into Chewbacca? Weird. The Mandalorian avoids that while still coloring inside the lines of the SW universe. 
    Don’t count your chickens....

One we already know captain rex and Ashoka are in S2. And Rex is already a movie character. 

Two there are talks to include more prominent Skywalker trilogy characters given the timeline. 

• Hatorian said:

One we already know captain rex and Ashoka are in S2. And Rex is already a movie character. 

Two there are talks to include more prominent Skywalker trilogy characters given the timeline. 

Ashoka and Rex aren't bigtime main movie characters. The problem with the old EU and the new movies is you see like the same 6 people in all of them. I really hope they avoid adding main trilogy characters (apparently the bad guy at the end of season 1 was a known character either from the old EU or current non-movie universe as well, but I didn't know who he was). 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited September 3
    asmallcat said:
    Hatorian said:

Ashoka and Rex aren't bigtime main movie characters. The problem with the old EU and the new movies is you see like the same 6 people in all of them. I really hope they avoid adding main trilogy characters (apparently the bad guy at the end of season 1 was a known character either from the old EU or current non-movie universe as well, but I didn't know who he was). 
    I’m still championing a Sebastian Stan Luke series. Give me a good 5 season series of him training, hunting empire remanants and traveling the galaxy for Jedi artifacts. 

Edit: I haven’t read the aftermath books or any of the books set between 6 and 7. So I’m not sure what they can and cannot do. But If they haven’t already explained in detail what he did before the academy with Ben it would be cool to get a series

Hatorian said:
    asmallcat said:
    ken hale said:
    asmallcat said:

As someone who isn't that into Star Wars, this doesn't bother me. I have no clue who Rex and Ashoka are. But time will tell. If they lean too heavily into things, it may push me further away. I think as long as they keep the tone and telling good stories, without forcing characters into the story, I am game. 
  • I do think TLJ's handling of Finn and Rose was hurt by TROS. In some ways, how TLJ treated Finn, Rose, and even Poe wasn't that different from how TESB treated the characters on the Falcon. If ROTJ had completely bungled its story for Han and Leia, their supporting story in TESB may have felt like a waste. And even there, they end up saving the saga's ostensible hero, which is more than Finn, Rose, and Poe accomplish in TLJ. They get a satisfying conclusion, though, not to mention they have the original trilogy's romantic plot. 

If Finn and Rose had received their own strong finish that continued what was started in TLJ, particularly if it had somehow tied more into Finn's journey from defector to Resistance hero, their side plot in TLJ wouldn't seem so dispensable. I see why Boyega feels shunted aside after TFW. I just wish they'd planned this thing about from the start. 
    nstinsongguenot
  • jluzania said:
    If Finn and Rose had received their own strong finish that continued what was started in TLJ, particularly if it had somehow tied more into Finn's journey from defector to Resistance hero, their side plot in TLJ wouldn't seem so dispensable. I see why Boyega feels shunted aside after TFW. I just wish they'd planned this thing about from the start. 

They could have planned it out or they could have just figured out a general picture of where everyone ended up and hired Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould to get them there.  Or apparently Jon Favreau and Dave Filloni.