Why I think the Watching Dead should end

Hey I want to saw I love the podcast and over the years I didn't agree with how cynical Jim and Aron were but starting around season 6 I slowly started to agree with the tone of the podcast. This last season has been completely illogical and as entertaining at it is to listen to them tear it apart they sound like they are hosting a funeral or are battered house husbands. Whatever spark of interest in this content is clearly dead, and with the death of Carl and the seeming inability to change on the part of AMC, I think the podcast should end so you can move onto to better content and the audience who continues to watch this terrible terrible show for the podcast will feel inclined to stop abusing themselves. Love the podcast, but I'm done with the show and I'd like to see Jim and Aron be able to do content that they like and support vs. feel they are being systematically mistreated by. I for one think the show has officially jumped the shark and will fizzle out. The Walking Dead watch of its untimely end will continue. Anyway love the content on this website, and don't take any of this as a sign of disrespect. I used to love the Walking Dead but it's a Saturday morning cartoon now. A shadow of its former self. 
ReniFlukes2manyboogersLadyDahDahMelonuskLannitikKela15

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I completely agree. I do however want them to finish out this season. Just for morbid curiosity really. Plus, selfishly, I want to try going down the "listen but not watch" route.

However, if they called it quits, I would not blame them one single bit.
  • I cover the show too on my own podcast and was really with aron this time. The mishandling and treatment of chandler and the show itself is absurd and terrible 
  • Plus, it's a sinking ship at this point 
  • I mean, you gotta at least see if they’re really going to pull the supreme asspull and actually not kill off Carl for real next year or if they’re actually assholes all around and fucked over Chandler. Then you can properly tell Gimple and AMC to kindly fuck themselves and drop the mic. 
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Does it even matter if they actually kill Carl off?  Either it's a worse Glenn dumpster fire, or he's dead for real, which are equally bad... sufficient to drop the show.

If anything, I think they should end the podcast and do a "Fiesta episode" as a sendoff-- a retrospective with the listeners' favorite moments, the highs the lows... the archive is a vast goldmine.  My favorite was the Reg vs Rick dinner party skit.  Honestly, my favorite impression was Jim doing Reg, who only lasted 4 episodes, RIP.

My favorite low point was A.Ron tearing into the child actors in the instant take cast, then coming back on the main cast to apologize.. and proceeding to tear them apart again.
  • edited December 2017
    Given that most of their podcasts consist of gushing coverage of shows they love, it's a nice change of pace for them to have less serious coverage of a show they kind of hate. But maybe Walking Dead has fallen too low to be worth it even on that level. Personally I'm interested in seeing the fate of the trash people, and just how melodramatic Carl's termination is, and if they stop podcasting the show I might have to watch it. Yuck.
  • My take: keep on through the back half of season 8, then drop it. See if they actually kill Carl and how they wrap All Out War, then call it a day. No point to sit around waiting for this show to get better anymore - there's some entertainment in watching a car crash in slow motion (it's the only reason I still watch), but not at the expense of covering other, better shows.
  • If 8.5 doesn’t air alongside any other better show to cover and the guys aren’t burnt out from this half I’d say might as well just half-ass it and crack jokes the whole way through then drop it after the finale. 
  • I would say it would be interesting to periodically check in on the continued downfall of TWD every 6 months or so in a lunch cast even if they drop it.
  • I don’t watch TWD, but I absolutely love the podcast. 
    Lannitik
  • I only ask the guys the keep The Live Watches going. The pure entertainment I get from those I would miss too much. 
    DoubleA_Ron
  • I believe they only do the podcast because it still has solid download numbers.
    Lannitik
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Westworld season 2, Handmaid's Tail 2, and The Expanse 3 are all slated to drop in spring 2018.

In the past, live watches have interfered with better shows that go down Sunday night. I guess they could sneak the first 4 or 5 in, and then just quit. Or maybe they value their time, who knows? 
  • I stopped listening. 
    I love the guys, and I listen religiously to everything BUT this. I had to quit this season. 
    They find faults in everything, which in turns makes me dislike the show a bit more. 
    HOWEVER I already know the show's not great, I enjoy it in spite of that, the reminder that it's not great doesn't help lol. 

• They should just do a weekly Zombie MOVIE podcast in place of it, starting with They Live. 

• Lannitik said:
    They should just do a weekly Zombie MOVIE podcast in place of it, starting with They Live. 

Good luck finding even 52 good zombie movies, unless by zombie you mean "any kind of monster including aliens".  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Live

I would suggest covering FTWD, as so few people have seen it.  Cover season one in one episode, then maybe cover two episodes each podcast.  When TWD comes back, give each TWD episode 15 minutes of coverage in the show if the episode sucked as usual, more if it didn't.  
  • I love the podcast. Don't get me wrong. I just feel increasingly like Jim and Aron are miserable having to take it seriously and take notes and then cover it. I love their podcasts, and ultimately I want them to be happy and cover good shows they like. It was fun listening to them make fun of this show before, but now I feel like they are genuinely angry and frustrated with their investment and I don't want them to feel that way. Maybe they could invest their time in bad movie or show reviews, but this particular program started out as a serious and genuine review of a likable show and I think that has taken a toll on them. 
  • lengmo said:
    Lannitik said:
    They should just do a weekly Zombie MOVIE podcast in place of it, starting with They Live. 

Good luck finding even 52 good zombie movies, unless by zombie you mean "any kind of monster including aliens".  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Live

I would suggest covering FTWD, as so few people have seen it.  Cover season one in one episode, then maybe cover two episodes each podcast.  When TWD comes back, give each TWD episode 15 minutes of coverage in the show if the episode sucked as usual, more if it didn't.  
    ....They already did season 1 of Fear the walking dead. 
    lengmo
  • edited December 2017
    It's one thing for a show to suck and not deserve full coverage anymore.  Then all these reports surface about how AMC is bordering on villainy and the situation transcends being a bad show; it's completely toxic. 

Every former show runner and producer are suing them.  The treatment of characters/contracts over the years has ranged from blunt to malicious.  A person recently died during filming in what many pointed to was an ill-equipped set because of the budget.  The source material has all but been disregarded.  Not to mention the latest mid-season was critically hailed as the least comprehensible and most insulting one yet.

Then there's Bald Move.  Your pages are liked by official AMC pages, you (were) involved with some of the cons, and last I checked Watching Dead is the only AMC related show in the iTunes top 50 Entertainment/TV.  Jim said he feels responsible for perpetuating the cycle and he's probably right, three posts a week for TWD can only benefit AMC and help keep it relevant.  Luckily, this is TV and you guys are relevant enough to make a statement with your viewership and audience.  I look forward to next week.
    Shumate BS
  • Lannitik said:
    ....They already did season 1 of Fear the walking dead. 
    Cool; a one podcast episode recap wouldn't be remiss before starting in on season 2.
    Lannitik
  • So, I've been listening to the earlier podcasts for the first and second season of the Walking Dead, and today I reached the Episode 2/13 cast. At some point in the cast, after agreeing that the episode was actually pretty good despite previous stinkers, A.Ron jokingly says (paraphrasing of course) that he was halfway wondering whether they were going to just end up doing a podcast more so to dog the series as it slowly declines and reaches its inevitable demise. I just thought it was kind of effin' funny and pretty prophetic.
    Shumate BS