The most underrated Movies? (In your opinion)

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
by popular demand from @SandyWest79 TV thread.. let's do a movie one! have at it bald movers!
NoobieDoozKela15picorock80

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    edited December 2017
    *takes a deep breath*

WELL. 

One of my all time favourites that no one else has ever seen is What Happened Was. It’s Tom Noonan (who also wrote it) and Karen Silas playing these work colleagues who have an awkward dinner date. The whole thing is set in her apartment and they are the only two characters. It doesn’t sound like much, but it’s so good. The trailer is ridiculous - it makes it look like a sinister stalker movie, which it is not at all. I bloody love it! 

Still Life is a gorgeous, unheard of little UK film with Eddie Marsan (pretty much my favourite actor) playing a council employee whose job is to follow up any possible relatives for people who have died alone. Joanne Froggatt is also in it, and it’s very quiet and lovely. 

Sixty Six also stars Eddie Marsan, as well as Helena Bonham-Carter as the parents of a boy whose bar mitzvah is booked for the day that England gets into the 1966 World Cup. It’s sweet and a bit quirky, as those kinds of British films tend to be. 

Frailty! I never hear anyone talk about it and it’s so good - Bill Paxton as a man who claims to see demons in people. Quite twisty so if anyone is going to watch it, don’t google. 

Fat Kid Rules The World is about a fat kid and his friendship with a dodgy wheeler dealer kid and was directed by Matthew Lillard. 

Meet The Robinsons is my favourite animated movie after The Iron Giant, but it’s another one that I never hear anyone talk about. My daughter and I watch it at least yearly and cry buckets. 

I could go on and on, but I’ll give someone else a go.
    KingKobraDaveyMacpicorock80hisdudeness915
  • First movie that popped up in my mind was: 

Buffalo '66. To me, this is a story about how old wounds can shape a lot of your life. There's a deep pain and resentment within the protagonist. He's a "loser"/anti-hero. But, also there's a small glimmer of hope, somewhere.

This is a a very low budget/indie film made in 1998. Written, directed by, and starring Vincent Gallo. The other main character is played by a young Christina Ricci. These two do an amazing job, IMO! Supported by a few other familiar actor faces. 

It's a slow, intense movie, sometimes bizarre. It made me care about the characters. Care as in both hate, and love! Not a film for everyone, but if you like indie films/lots of raw emotion, you might like this one. It was filmed in Buffalo, NY, in the winter. That sets up the mood nicely. Although it got some good reviews from critics, I think this movie deserves a bigger audience! :)

Thanks @Chinaski for starting this thread! :wink:
    picorock80
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    Dee said:
    *takes a deep breath*

WELL. 

One of my all time favourites that no one else has ever seen is What Happened Was. It’s Tom Noonan (who also wrote it) and Karen Silas playing these work colleagues who have an awkward dinner date. The whole thing is set in her apartment and they are the only two characters. It doesn’t sound like much, but it’s so good. The trailer is ridiculous - it makes it look like a sinister stalker movie, which it is not at all. I bloody love it! 
    Thanks Dee for reminding me of this great Tom Noonan film. Highly recommended folks!
    Dee
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i'm a sucker for some old school Martin Lawrence flicks: Blue Streak, Nothing to Lose, and Life
    Mofojones333Lannitikdavemcbpicorock80
  • UnibowlerUnibowler San Antonio, Texas
    The Life Of David Gale

It’s a beautiful and poignant film. Laura Linney and Kate Winslet are amazing in it. 
  • Hateful 8. I was shocked it wasn't more well loved, but is what it is. 
    Warcraft. I realize why this was a shit movie, but as a Warcraft fan it was awesome. 
    The original Mortal Kombat, awesome 90s film. Still not great, but not shit. 
    Big Trouble in Little China. Easily one of the best Action Comedies of all time. 
    Shutter Island, I don't get how anyone could dislike this movie. 
    Ghostbusters (remake) this was NOT a great movie by any means, but the hype I heard made me believe it was going to be an F. I watched it a couple weeks ago, it was funny, it was about a C- slightly below average, but not an F. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • First movie that popped up in my mind was: 

Buffalo '66. To me, this is a story about how old wounds can shape a lot of your life. There's a deep pain and resentment within the protagonist. He's a "loser"/anti-hero. But, also there's a small glimmer of hope, somewhere.

This is a a very low budget/indie film made in 1998. Written, directed by, and starring Vincent Gallo. The other main character is played by a young Christina Ricci. These two do an amazing job, IMO! Supported by a few other familiar actor faces. 

It's a slow, intense movie, sometimes bizarre. It made me care about the characters. Care as in both hate, and love! Not a film for everyone, but if you like indie films/lots of raw emotion, you might like this one. It was filmed in Buffalo, NY, in the winter. That sets up the mood nicely. Although it got some good reviews from critics, I think this movie deserves a bigger audience! :)

Thanks @Chinaski for starting this thread! :wink:
    I saw this in the theatre in Omaha, NE. Only two other people were there- the person I came with, and one guy we sorta knew who was always trying to get a film club started. :)  
    Haha, that gave me such a great image in my head, with a movie geek trying to start a film club, being there and watching this movie. That's just so fitting. :) Thanks for telling that little story. Reminds me of my old "indie movie friends", who were the ones to tell be about this movie....  :) 
  • @Dee Frailty was good.

What are the ground rules here for “underrated”? Are these films the gen pop might not have seen? Films we think didn’t\dont get enough buzz? Are we talking Criterion Collection type only? 
    Dee
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    Chinaski said:
    i'm a sucker for some old school Martin Lawrence flicks: Blue Streak, Nothing to Lose, and Life
    I've seen Blue Streak about a dozen times, even all these years later It's amazing how well that film still holds up.

Chinaski
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    I'm not sure if it falls into the "underated category" because it was critically acclaimed, but it didn't have a wide audience

Blue Velvet by David Lynch was a great movie.

Madonna was surprisingly good in Evita! (a musical about Juan and Eva Perón in Argentina)

A movie I loved, I don't know if it was "underrated" at the time it came out, but judging by box office numbers it had only a modest take, but the political thriller Seven Days in May in which Kirk Douglas plays a military officer who uncovers evidence that a General played by Burt Lancaster is plotting a coup d'etat against the president and he has to uncover enough evidence to expose the plot before it's carried out. 
    DeeMichelle
  • Predestination didn't do very well at the box office, but I really enjoyed it.
    KingKobra
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Lone Star (96) Chris Cooper Mathew McConaughey.

Intolerable Cruelty (03) George Clooney Catherine Zeta Jones 

• DeeDee Adelaide
    @kingbee67 I loved Lone Star when it came out, and I’ve been trying to find it for ages because my daughter is a huge McConaughey fan. I can’t find it on DVD here and it’s not on our streaming services. I even tried pirating it but it was in a foreign language. The universe does not want this movie seen in Australia! 
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    @Dee I haven’t seen it much here. I haven’t seen it on cable or streaming services.
    Dee
  • I will watch We Are Marshall anytime it’s on. Shawshanks me. 

Rust Cohle, Jack Shephard, The Falcon, Brother Ray. Try to turn that movie off if you see it. 

If the Bobby Bowden scene doesn’t make you feel something, call the coroner and declare your own death. 
    NoobieDooz
  • Oh, I just remembered another one! Sorry if I keep bringing up somewhat "odd" movies... :blush:

But, if you want to watch a love story that is not your ordinary romcom, I recommend: 

Love me if you dare 
    A French movie from 2003. Starring Marion Cotillard. About a very dysfunctional/destructive kind of friendship/love. I think it's quite unique and really like it. It won some "smaller" awards I think, but it missed out on getting to the big masses I believe. Probably cause most people will need subtitles. Don't let that little detail scare you off from this little gem of a movie though! 
  • @Chinaski Life is one of my favourite movies, its very underrated "I'm the Pappy" gets me every time I watch it

I saw a movie in the cinemas a few years ago called "A Film with me in it" it has Dylan Moran at his most Dylan Moran, its a solid Black comedy but wont be for everyone. Its not something that I would normally go to see but my wife is a huge Black Books fan so I suggested we go and see it. 

Its not really underrated but Snatch is incredible, its such a quotable movie that I still think is a great movie.
    Chinaski
    caught a little jim belushi double feature the other day while i was sick and bored. Taking Care of Business and Mr Destiny. nostalgia got me good! 
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Rob Zombie is an ok director who made one truly great film, 2005's The Devil's Rejects. It's not for everyone and certainly not for the squeamish, but everything from the camera work to characterization to story just hums. It currently sits on Rotten Tomatoes at 53% from critics and 78% from fans. 
    Chinaski
    @Frakkin T - i completely agree. i hated HO1000C then re watched after watching Devils Rejects and didn’t hate as much. i thought his Halloween remake was pretty good. the sequel on the other hand was dumpster trash.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Chinaski said:
    @Frakkin T - i completely agree. i hated HO1000C then re watched after watching Devils Rejects and didn’t hate as much. i thought his Halloween remake was pretty good. the sequel on the other hand was dumpster trash.
    Supposedly Zombie wanted the ending of Halloween 2 to be completely different but the guardians of the franchise wouldn't allow it. He wanted Lori to be the killer and Michael to have been only in her head. If you watch the movie with that ending in mind it makes a lot more sense. (but in general I agree)
    Chinaski
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Hulk (2003, the one that Ang Lee directed). I am not a comics person, and I really liked the movie. It seemed a lot of the comics people hated it.
    I'm a comics guy and I definitely liked it. It is a weird psycho-drama. I dug it. 
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I always go up to bat for Scorsese's "The King of Comedy"  It's my personal favorite of his. Widely dismissed in it's day, not well remembered now... It's incredibly well done and subtle and hilarious and weird and unsettling in the most benign way. 

Whenever I tell people it's in my top favorites i get blank stares. But maybe this group of cinefiles know better :)
    DaveyMac
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Oh also, Gore Verbinski's 1994, "Mouse Hunt" 

I watched it all the time as a kid, just rewatched it over Christmas. And shit, that movie is fantastic. 
    aberry89 said:
    Oh also, Gore Verbinski's 1994, "Mouse Hunt" 

I watched it all the time as a kid, just rewatched it over Christmas. And shit, that movie is fantastic. 
    i dunno why but i thought Rat Race. on that note.. not gonna lie, i'm not opposed to not changing the channel when Rat Race is on and nothing else is
    aberry89
  • I agree on King of Comedy. Such a great film!

As for Mouse Hunt, I remember seeing it in the theater and really enjoying it, but don’t remember anything about it. I’ll have to give it another watch. Verbinski is such an eclectic filmmaker. One of his that I really liked when it came out that a lot of peoe hated was The Weatherman.
  • I love every Michael Mann movie. Every one. And it’s mindboggling to me how much hate Miami Vice, Public Enemies, and Blackhat get. Hell, even The Keep, brilliant in my opinion.
    picorock80
    sean.ray said:
    I love every Michael Mann movie. Every one. And it’s mindboggling to me how much hate Miami Vice, Public Enemies, and Blackhat get. Hell, even The Keep, brilliant in my opinion.
    i love me some Heat and Collateral
    picorock80