Batman Returns (1992)

Beginning the podcast, wanted to share a surreal memory from when it came out:

I was 11 and my strongest impression of this movie was from a commercial.  I think it was from Burger King (remember how hard they used to do cross promotions?).  They must have had collectible movie glasses or something, but they kept showing the part in the movie where the penguins are all walking together and somehow implying they were heading to Burger King, or wherever.  I think the commercial ended with the camera drawback showing the clip in the movie where Catwoman goes from a lunge to standing up straight and looking away from the camera.

It was creepier than anything else in the actual movie and to this day I remember it at odd moments.

Actually, there were a lot of movies I had that experience with, I remember them more from their cross-promotion commercial than from the movie itself!

Comments

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I'm not a superhero girl by any stretch of the imagination, but I literally used to watch Batman Returns about 3 times a week when I was a kid. It was one of the few VHS tapes that we had, and there was something so creepy but comical about it. Some of the scenes really stick in my mind, being only about 8 or 9, the Penguin death really messed me up, with all that stuff coming out of his mouth etc! 
    Frakkin T
  • Please review mask of the phantasm and Return Of the joker as part of your all batman movies series. Yes I'm one of the dcau fanboys who think Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill are the best batman and joker, without qualification.
    Frakkin T
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    #1 Batman (1989)
    #2 Batman Returns
    #3 Dark Knight
    #4 Batman (1966)
    #5 Batman Begins
    #6 Dark Knight Rises

Everything else is dumb.  
    OK except maybe LEGO Batman. 
    I haven't seen LEGO Batman yet and I bet it's at least good fun for 1 watch.

• LEGO Batman was sooooooooo much better than it had any right to be.

Favorite line:
    Dick Grayson:  My name is Richard Grayson.
    Bruce Wayne:  Mmm hmm.  That's nice.
    Dick Grayson:  But the other orphans call me Dick.
    Bruce Wayne:  Children can be so cruel.
    Frakkin Tcdrive
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman might be better than Heath Ledger's Joker #confessyourunpopularopinion
    cdrive
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I was 11 when Batman Returns came out. So the closest I could get, (despite Batman being my absolute favorite) was my parents buying me the comic book adaptation. I remember that even just in comic book form the sexuality was enough to blow my mind. 
    Jim said we could have done without Michelle Pfeiffer.  No words, man. No words.  
    Frakkin TNoobieDooz
  • cdrive said:
    Jim said we could have done without Michelle Pfeiffer.  No words, man. No words.  
    Jim is dead to me. 
    Frakkin TNoobieDoozReniJoshuaHeter
    He needs a deserved vacation and like, someone get him a massage envy gift card. And a big hit of weed. 

Frakkin TNoobieDooz
  • gjulleen said:
    Beginning the podcast, wanted to share a surreal memory from when it came out:

I was 11 and my strongest impression of this movie was from a commercial.  I think it was from Burger King (remember how hard they used to do cross promotions?).  They must have had collectible movie glasses or something, but they kept showing the part in the movie where the penguins are all walking together and somehow implying they were heading to Burger King, or wherever.  I think the commercial ended with the camera drawback showing the clip in the movie where Catwoman goes from a lunge to standing up straight and looking away from the camera.

It was creepier than anything else in the actual movie and to this day I remember it at odd moments.

Actually, there were a lot of movies I had that experience with, I remember them more from their cross-promotion commercial than from the movie itself!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VGj-kmh2uzc
  • I guess it was McDonald's.  I wonder what the current generation would make of all the cross promotion nonsense of the 90s?

I wound up reading some of the backstory of that particular sponsorship - Turns out McDonald's wasn't happy with the direction the movie took (it was too dark) and demanded scripts from other sponsorships going forward (it was implied they were the driving force behind Burton not being involved in Batman going forward).

Apparently they made changes to the level of violence in Jurassic Park, and a few other movies as well.
  • Why is there never or hardly any love for Batman Forever?! I’m listening to the Batman Returns podcast and A.Ron just barely compliments it with no love from Jim. They should def do a watch soon to compare.
    I’m probably partial to it bc it was the first Batman movie I had ever watched (had only seen Adam West TV version on Nick at Nite before) but I think it holds up to this day. Clearly the Nolan/Bale Batmans are the best, they just are, but Batman Forever is the next best by a long shot! Val Kilmer is a believable Bruce Wayne and Batman. Jim Carey as the Riddler is perfection! Followed by decent performances from Tommy Lee Jones, Nicole Kidman and Chris O’Donnell. Robin’s origin story is nicely shown as well. And yes the movie has weird/dark/funny moments, but that’s 100% what they were going for. Batman and Robin is by far the worst Batman movie. Arnold does it no favors with the terrible cold/freeze jokes they give him and George Clooney was too casual to be Batman.