Holiday Food!

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• We always do Indian food on Xmas— my family an I aren’t big turkey and stuffing people
    TravisMichelle
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I left my family Christmas before we got to the good food: steak and shrimp. #drama But I DID eat about half of a Cheesecake Factory chocolate cake. Which is fine by me. 

Oh, and my cousin's husband, who was the only person there to acknowledge that I came out on Facebook this month, made a KILLER macaroni and cheese. So, that. 
    TravisMichelle
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    And that sushi looks amaaaaaaazing.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2017
    We always do my family on Christmas eve, and it always seems to end up with a sort of party buffet featuring lasagna and salad and various appetizer-y things. Generally (though I was bummed to see not this year) my mom will make these sausage and ricotta calzone-esque things that are fantastic. It's absence was made up for by some unknown guest bringing a pretty fantastic green bean casserole though. Then some pie and cookies and general sweets offerings (dessert ends up being a sort of pot luck).

On Christmas night the last few years we will go to my brother in law's ex wife's place to hang out with our niece and nephew and her and her husband's family (there really has to/needs to be a more efficient way of saying that). They are truly wonderful people and he spent a lot of years in catering and always makes a really fantastic spread. This year it was a roast, mashed potatoes, some particularly fantastic roasted carrots and onions, and some tofu drizzled with a sort of honey and maple syrup concoction that turned out really great. It was a wonderful time.

I was a little bummed this year because my brother put on something that was happening simultaneously to our being there, but it is what it is. I guess he went with a Mexican food spread, and knowing him I'm sure it was really, really good. He loves to BBQ and does have a knack for it.

Agreed, that sushi spread looks fantastic!
    Michelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    we unwrap tamales for christmas! oralé!
    gguenotTravisMichelleMofojones333
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited December 2017
    This year my brother and sister in law were here just for Thanksgiving weekend, so we hosted a holiday dinner on Black Friday. We did Cornish hens stuffed with wild rice and mushrooms, green beans, cran sauce and spaghetti squash. 

Christmas Eve is an oyster fry & scotch tradition at my Dad’s.  We do raw and fried oysters, clam chowder and focus on scotch as the main imbibery.  This year he also fried a bunch of red fish and speckled trout from a Galveston bay fishing trip. 

Christmas Day dinner I suggested we host Hot Pot but my mother in law took it, so we did it there.  I brought bottarga. Bottarga is a big deal in Taiwan where my in laws are originally from.  The Japanese call it Karasumi, and you thinly slice it into rectangles and put it on thinly sliced daikon or thinly sliced Asian pear.  It used to be hard to source but now I can Amazon Prime it for like $29 bucks.  (Pretty stoked about this) We drank scotch. My wife shipped some stone crab claws to her parents too, so we had fancy apps and Hot Pot. The crab claw meat dissolved with the broth in your own tiny bowl went really nice with the other seafood parts of the hot pot.  
    MichelleTravisMofojones333
  • My family has not been Catholic since soon after Anne Boleyn's untimely death, and like the original poster, I'm not religious, but we always have Maryland style seafood on Christmas Eve - lots of old bay original seasoning.
    MichelleTravis
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    We always gather at my sister's every year, and every year my (now ex) brother in law procures a really good prime rib for our main entree.  I made a homemade mac & cheese this year, and  we had all the usual sides with that... as well as a red/white/green triple layer jello dish, a chocolate dessert, a veggie/chips/dip tray for afternoon snacks, as well as misc goodies.  And my sister and I did our traditional Xmas shots- usually we do a mudslide shot in a candy cane shot glass, but this year we did a Bailey's shot from little mini-bottles.
    Travis