New Year’s Resolutions

DeeDee Adelaide
Tick tock - the new year is nearly upon us! Who’s got new year resolutions? Care to share them? I am still refining mine - I think it’s going to be quite a list this year. 
ChinaskiMichelle

Comments

• Try to be more fiscally responsible in certain areas to make room for college fund for my baby.
    TravisChinaskiMichelleDeeMofojones333Freddy
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2017
    This year, I really just want to focus on being a better listener and a more supportive husband. I'm not a dick or anything, I mean really well, but I assume too much and I've never been a great communicator. 

I also would like to really work at being better with money this year (funny, I'm pretty sure that is what I said here last year). I have made some great strides, particularly in the last month or two, but I still find myself overextended more than I would like. 

I did make my weight loss goal from last year with flying colors and I'm almost down to my high school weight (roughly 30 pounds lost (not bad for a dude pushing 40 if I may indulge in a moment of self congratulation)). I would still like to improve on that a bit, and maybe get in some more exercise.

I will be an Enrolled Agent by March. I have two tests to pass to do so, but dammit, I will accomplish that.
    DummyChinaskigguenotMichelleJaimieTDee
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Nothing profound, but I want to commit to reading at least one chapter of a book every day, rather than have my reading pattern by three months off, three months madly on like it has been this year!
    TravisChinaskiMichelleDee
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    not get annoyed so easily by people that suck. then again i say that every year.
    gguenotMichelleTravisDeeMofojones333
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited December 2017
    Garthgou81gguenotTravisMurderbearFrakkin TTaraC73FreddyMofojones333Aww_PHuuCk
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Travis said:
    I did make my weight loss goal from last year with flying colors and I'm almost down to my high school weight (roughly 30 pounds lost (not bad for a dude pushing 40 if I may indulge in a moment of self congratulation)). I would still like to improve on that a bit, and maybe get in some more exercise.

That's inspiring. I'm doing weight loss this year. I'm optimistic, but it's always hard no matter how you feel about it. And 30 pounds sounds about right. 

I think my resolution for 2017 was just to survive it. Trump depression and all that.
    Travis
  • @JaimieT Thanks! It honestly wasn't so bad really, after the first couple of weeks of taking the task seriously. You didn't ask for what I did, but just in case it's helpful... I guess I was starting from a place where there were a lot of easy improvements to make, but honestly it came down to eating closer to what a normal human being would consider to be an appropriate portion (particularly at dinner). Due to trying to be more responsible with our budget, we started eating out less which was really helpful. I've now really begun to notice that when you order something in a restaurant you're really getting two people's worth of food. Now, more often than not my wife and I will split the meal and maybe toss in a small side of some sort. At home we also use the smaller sized plates to serve meals as opposed to the full sized ones as a limiter. My wife started a thing where she always wants something green on the plate too, which has been a very helpful idea (instead of baking up some fries, we'll go with asparagus or brussells sprouts). I also went from drinking 2 to 3 beers a day to 1 and I really quickly saw the impact of that. I hit at least 8 or 9,000 steps a day and have tried throwing in 10 push-ups a couple of times a day. Maybe a session of yoga every month or so. That's really been about it though. I just stayed consistent with better food choices and small, basic changes.

Anyhoo, best of luck! It does feel really good to be a little lighter on my feet. I hear you about survival being a feat in itself. Man, 2017 was super rough.
    JaimieTDee
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Travis said:
    @JaimieT Thanks! It honestly wasn't so bad really, after the first couple of weeks of taking the task seriously. You didn't ask for what I did, but just in case it's helpful... I guess I was starting from a place where there were a lot of easy improvements to make, but honestly it came down to eating closer to what a normal human being would consider to be an appropriate portion (particularly at dinner). Due to trying to be more responsible with our budget, we started eating out less which was really helpful. I've now really begun to notice that when you order something in a restaurant you're really getting two people's worth of food. Now, more often than not my wife and I will split the meal and maybe toss in a small side of some sort. At home we also use the smaller sized plates to serve meals as opposed to the full sized ones as a limiter. My wife started a thing where she always wants something green on the plate too, which has been a very helpful idea (instead of baking up some fries, we'll go with asparagus or brussells sprouts). I also went from drinking 2 to 3 beers a day to 1 and I really quickly saw the impact of that. I hit at least 8 or 9,000 steps a day and have tried throwing in 10 push-ups a couple of times a day. Maybe a session of yoga every month or so. That's really been about it though. I just stayed consistent with better food choices and small, basic changes.

Anyhoo, best of luck! It does feel really good to be a little lighter on my feet. I hear you about survival being a feat in itself. Man, 2017 was super rough.

I like hearing what people do. Diet IS much more important than exercise for weight loss, yes. I need to exercise some because I likely have a blood clotting disorder (genetic testing, not verified yet) and high blood pressure. But I need to lose weight too. I'm pretty adept with low-carb/keto, so I'll be returning to that. And it's not bad eating at all.

2017 felt so long politically. God, 3 more years of this.
    TravisgguenotMichelle
  • Tried looking for our 2017 thread to see if we could check in on our resolutions. But couldn’t find it.

im with a few others. Save money and not splurge. 
    TravisMichelleDee
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2017
    @Hatorian Fun idea! Here you go, man.
    http://forums.baldmove.com/discussion/2947/any-new-years-resolutions#latest

For my part, I guess my resolutions are pretty much the same as last year. I am pretty happy with a lot of my progress, particularly towards the end of year. I did make it to a handful of yoga classes, and found them enjoyable. I am drinking less, and I have lost weight, and I am thinking about my spending more effectively, but I still have a ways to go before I'm satisfied. Never did shoot that 800 series, but maybe this year... Ultimately, could have been better, but I'm pretty pleased overall.
    HatorianMichelleDee
  • Here’s mine from last year. 2 for 4. Batting .500 not bad.

New year new me! Not.  I'd like to read a bit more, stay off the phone more, eat more dinners at the table. And my Wife is Vietnamese-Australian and I've been wanting to learn the language but just haven't put the effort in.”

definitely read more and ate a lot of dinners at the table with no TV/phones

but did not stay off the phone and did not learn any more of the language.
    TravisMichelleDeeFreddy
  • Hatorian said:
    Here’s mine from last year. 2 for 4. Batting .500 not bad.

New year new me! Not.  I'd like to read a bit more, stay off the phone more, eat more dinners at the table. And my Wife is Vietnamese-Australian and I've been wanting to learn the language but just haven't put the effort in.”

.500 is a pretty darn good Resolution batting average. Well done!
    Hatorian
    edited December 2017
    Uh, yeah.... looking at mine from last year, I ended up going a whole other way.  I didn't travel much at all, but instead I ended up focusing on my surgery (I had gastric bypass in April) and everything afterward.  Feeling great now, lost a ton of weight, am more active, etc... I guess all of that will help when I finally *do* decide to travel!  I also lost my momentum on my photography and am trying to get back into that.  That's been happening slowly but surely since surgery, but I haven't pursued exposure (no pun intended) this year as I had in the past.  So even though I jokingly put that meme up earlier, I do want to reiterate my resolution from last year and make both happen if possible.  I do already have some travel plans that are for sure happening (Niagara Falls to New York City, then driving south through New England to DC).  We'll see on the rest!

Last year's:
    "I didn't really make any huge resolutions this year. I do really want to get out and explore more this year, and visit more places that I would love to see (my ancestors' old little villages in Ireland and northern England, Paris, New York in the winter). I also want to expand my photography and gain more exposure (pun not intended). It's my year to make it happen even more than last year."
    Dee
  • Finally getting a Spartan Race Trifecta is on my goal list for 2018.

Back in 2014, I did a Sprint, and a Super (a smidge pregnant). But I was too pregnant by the time the Beast rolled around to feel comfortable attempting it. And they have a Beast in Hawaii this summer so win-win if I can make it work. 
    Dee
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Oh yep, I didn't get the PMP last year, haha. But that was kinda because my manager wouldn't pay for it. This year she agreed to pay for it so I am gonna do it!
    haha at first i totally read:
    'Oh yep, I didn't get the PIMP last year, haha. But that was kinda because my manager wouldn't pay for it. This year she agreed to pay for it so I am gonna do it!'
    Travis
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Hey I started that thread... fun stuff!

i mostly kept up with the laundry; our washer shit the bed two days before Christmas so I had to wait for the fix it man to come... i am just now working on catching back up again (5 people generate a lot of laundry and I got lazy!) 

positivity was a tough one, it’s on my to do list this year again. 

This year’s resolutions aren’t too crazy:
    - take my vitamins religiously
    - do one major cleaning project per week
    - 1/2 hour of housework per day (on top of the usual upkeep that prevents critters and dust bunnies from moving in hahahaha)
    - ONE set day for grocery shopping and stick to it!
    - get on the treadmill (once it’s delivered) M-W-F and start up my Couch to 5K program again
    - teach my six year old how to give herself a shower (the bane of my existence... she’s hated showers/baths since babyhood and I just have reached my wits end with it lol!)
    - get rid of STUFF!!!

i know many will say lay off housework it’s not that important and to an extent, I agree. But it makes me feel better when my house is clean. I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia which depletes my energy levels among other things and having these relatively easy to follow guidelines will help me tremendously :0)

Out with 2017 in with 2018!!! Cheers!

MichelleDeeTravis
  • edited December 2017
    I guess my resolution is to finish something.  I think I have that D.D. tendency to only like the beginning of things.  You can't see the flaws or problems when it's new.  So I'll limit new work and try to finish the things that've been piling up.
    MichelleJaimieTDeeTravis
  • I somehow feel too much pressure from making New Year's resolutions. But I have an ambition to focus more on being healthy in 2018. And work to fulfill an old dream of mine or at least taking steps towards it. Who knows. Here's to hoping. :)   Happy new year to everyone! 
    DeeTravis
  • Get rid of stuff in the house we just don’t need, lose the rest of the baby weight and unsubscribe to the hundreds of junk email I get on a weekly basis. That first one is a pretty lofty goal given my man’s tendency for never throwing anything away.
    DeeTravis
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited December 2017
    Hatorian said:
    Here’s mine from last year. 2 for 4. Batting .500 not bad.

Don't beat yourself up about the language. My wife and I share the same first language and I still can't understand what the fuck she's talking about half the time.
    DoubleA_RonHatorianMofojones333NoobieDoozDeeMichelleTravis
  • Chinaski said:
    not get annoyed so easily by people that suck. then again i say that every year.
    Best stay the fuck away from Scott gimple and amc lol 
    TaraC73
  • To focus way way way more on myself and getting myself better. Every single time I think I don't need to do it I end up realising I need to do it way more. If people have Petty problems, to not give a shit. Of course if something serious happens to someone I'll care. But depression kicks my ass when I do and don't expect it 
    DeeMichelleTravis
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    probably read more books. last year I started good and was reading like 4 or 5 non fiction books a month then I slowed down and stopped ordering them off of Amazon. if I do it right I should read like 50 non fiction books this year. 
    DeeMichelleAww_PHuuCkTravis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I think I’ve finally figured mine out. I’m a list-maker so I tend to tool around with my resolutions for days before I’m satisfied with them, and I like to be specific because I’m lazy, so if anything is too vague (“lose weight”), I’m likely to get to the end of the year and think that counted because I’m half a kilo lighter on Dec 31 than I was on Jan 1. 

1. Be a tight-arse with money. I went part time recently so I don’t have the same level of disposable income that I did. 

2. Specifically - no perfumes, books or makeup. I have way too much of all of these and plenty to keep me going for a year and beyond. I’ve set up wishlists so if there is anything I want desperately I can use birthday money or gift cards. 

3. Be more rigid with skincare and get good daily habits going. I am generally pretty good with that but as I said above, I’m lazy, and I’m going to be 50 this year (wtf!) so if I keep slacking off I’ll look it. 

4. Don’t read or watch news. It just pisses me off and I can’t do anything about it anyway. As an offshoot  of this one, I’m also culling all the people and organisations I follow on social media for the purposes of news and/or current affairs. I just want a year of blissful ignorance about the horrors of the world. 

5. Make an effort to be social - sometimes. I say this every year, but every year I say no to 99% of things I am invited to or have an opportunity to attend. I’m not lonely - I like being alone - but I feel like I’m definitely starting to become hermit-like. Also, I want to join that old lady gang with the purple coats and red hats when I’m retired and I need to practice. 

6. Learn how to do (and then do) resistance exercises. Again - woman turning 50, I want to avoid osteoporosis and whatnot if at all possible. I should have probably started doing these exercises 10 years ago, but here we are. 
    TaraC73MichelleTravis
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    Something I’m going to do this new year, I’ve been learning Spanish and I hope to be up to speaking level in it by summer, in Autumn I’m visiting Chile and Argentina. Eventually I want to learn Portuguese as well, I think it’s terrible we don’t teach second languages that much in schools. I would like to know more languages. 
    Aww_PHuuCkMichelleTravis
    edited January 1
    Made one at the bar tonight at random. Coincidentally enough, it came from the Baldmove facebook post:

I leaned over to my friend, showed him this pic, and said "fuck it, my New Years resolution is to organize board game nights at least once a month." He laughed and said "fuck yeah, I'm down."
    MichelleDeeTravis
    iMatty94 said:
    To focus way way way more on myself and getting myself better. Every single time I think I don't need to do it I end up realising I need to do it way more. If people have Petty problems, to not give a shit. Of course if something serious happens to someone I'll care. But depression kicks my ass when I do and don't expect it 
    Suffer no fools, @iMatty94

Best New Year's Resolution I ever made and kept was to cut out everyone in my life that stressed me out. You'd be surprised how much depression is external.
    iMatty94MichelleTravis
    Freddy said:
    Made one at the bar tonight at random. Coincidentally enough, it came from the Baldmove facebook post:

I leaned over to my friend, showed him this pic, and said "fuck it, my New Years resolution is to organize board game nights at least once a month." He laughed and said "fuck yeah, I'm down."
    This pic makes me so happy.  Jim's drunk face is tooooooo funny.  :sweat_smile:
    Travis