Black Mirror Season 4 SPOILERS!

After watching the first episode, I thought this was a much needed thread.

Random thoughts:

- Does anyone play a better creep than Jesse Plemons?
- The self-proclaimed "King of Space" at the end... couldn't have picked a better voice actor. I *almost* expected him to say "Bitch!" to close out the episode, but I guess that would've been a bit much.

Loved it. On to episode 2.
BrawnJaimieTMichelleEine FrauElisa

Comments

• I only watched the first one so far, I want to space it out a little and watch maybe one a day instead of binging it. I wasn't too sure about the ep at first (and based on the trailers was also the one I was least looking forward to), because it felt very Star Trek and I was never a big fan. I thought there'd be lots of references that would go way over my head. And maybe there were, but I was still pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.
    And yeah, King of Space was just the cherry on top!
    JoshuaHeterBrawnMichelleElisa
  • I've now seen USS Calister and Hang the DJ. USS Callister is pretty good and delivered on a story I wasn't expecting. I knew it wouldn't be a happy space romp, but I wasn't expecting real people being downloaded into a game. That being said, I'd be surprised if I find anything that I more than Hang the DJ. It really has me wondering if that would be a better alternative towards dating than we have now. The ending changed how well I felt about the episode, but I was locked in the entire time and loving it before that. Great two episode start for me. 
    JoshuaHeterBrawnMichelleElisa
  • You can mark me down as another person who has never watched Star Trek that loved USS Calister.  I was also surprised by how much that episode had me cracking up.  Though I don't think I can get Jimmi Simpson slapping his mound out of my head.

Arkangel was good, felt like par for the course for Black Mirror.
    BrawnJoshuaHeterMichelleUnderwoodElisa
  • Just finished. Early thoughts:

-- Really enjoyed it. Knew 2 eps in that I was going to like this season better than S3. Still don't think it will ever top S1 and 2 again--the novelty of it made special.

-- Early rankings (subject to change as I sit with it more)
         1) Hang the DJ
         2) USS Callister
         3) Black Museum
         4) Arkangel
         5) Crocodile
         6) Metalhead (The final shot of this ep dropped this to last for me. Cuz like...really?)

-- Actual LOL moment: Black Museum when the new gf had the teddy bear yoked up against the wall.

Can't wait until the rest of you finish.

BrawnMichelleElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I’m 4 in and I know everyone is loving Hang The DJ, but I thought it was a massive snooze fest. Maybe I just don’t like sci fi romances - I was bored by San Junipero last year too.

I am not into Star Trek at all so when USS Callister started I was like uh oh, but 15 minutes in i was hooked, and it’s been my favourite so far. 
    darwinfeeshyMichelleElisa
  • My ranking for the 4 I've seen: USS Callister, Metalhead, Hang The DJ, and Arkangel. That said, Callister was far superior to the others.

@JoshuaHeter - Indeed, no one plays creep like Jesse Plemons. That creepy dead stare. <shudder>
    MichelleElisa
  • hypergenesb said:M91208
    My ranking for the 4 I've seen: USS Callister, Metalhead, Hang The DJ, and Arkangel. That said, Callister was far superior to the others.

@JoshuaHeter - Indeed, no one plays creep like Jesse Plemons. That creepy dead stare. <shudder>

@hypergenesb Them going through all of that for a teddy bear (albeit for a dying child) made me groan. And I love kids! I know it was supposed to hit me in the feels, but come on. Figure out another way to bring him comfort in his last days. Now everybody's headless and he still ain't got the damn bear. 
    Michelle
  • Anyone catch the cameo from USS Calister, hint.......yeah bitch!
    BrawndarwinfeeshyJoshuaHeterMichelle
  • adobo1148 said:
    Anyone catch the cameo from USS Calister, hint.......yeah bitch!
    Was Meredith Brooks one of the office workers? I'm terrible at guessing games. 
    Michelle
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Although Crocodile was real dark it had the most impact on me so far. The three I’ve seen so far I thought were outstanding.
    Elisa
    My ranking for the 4 I've seen: USS Callister, Metalhead, Hang The DJ, and Arkangel. That said, Callister was far superior to the others.

@hypergenesb Them going through all of that for a teddy bear (albeit for a dying child) made me groan. And I love kids! I know it was supposed to hit me in the feels, but come on. Figure out another way to bring him comfort in his last days. Now everybody's headless and he still ain't got the damn bear. 
    I don't disagree @phoenyx1023. But I'm willing to overlook to the stupidity of that final shot because the 59 minutes that preceded it were fantastically tense. I've seen the rest of the eps. Crocodile was very good. Final rankings: USS Callister, Metalhead, Crododile, Hang The DJ, Arkangel, Black Museum. 
    MichelleElisa
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited December 2017
    Watched Callisor, Hang the DJ and Crocodile so far. All were pretty fantastic (although they could lean a touch lighter on the virtual reality, simulation plotlines, getting repetitive) 

Crocodile had the most impact on me. Thought the acting, filmmaking, locations, and editing were just superb. Plus I enjoyed the Blade Runner memory viewer things, and it also felt like a story written for a man, but was swapped with a woman at the last moment..Even with both dads being presumably stay-at-home and a woman murder that wasn't a black-widow or hysterical madowoman. It was...interesting. 

Hang the DJ - I am so glad Black Mirror is lightning the fuck up! I love the show but the bleakness was just ridiculous, everything doesn't need to be so goddamn depressing! Some really clever and relatable stuff on relationships in this one...I have been doing some online/app dating recently so this hit home SOOO many times. Didn't feel the ending stuck the landing, but everything else was fun.
    MichelleElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @aberry89 Crocodile was written for a man, but Andrea Riseborough wanted the role. I think the female lead made it so much more interesting than if it had been a male character. 
    hypergenesbElisa
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited December 2017
    Ahhh...I had a feeling. I am glad she got it, she is such an incredible actress. That long take on her face in the final shot was incredible. There were so many moments that stood out as things I don't think I had ever seen before in a thriller/murder type scenario, simply because it was a lead woman. A man disrobing and getting into a bath while a female murderer is lurking the house???....yeah that was a first.  

@Dee
    DeehypergenesbCretanBullElisa
  • adobo1148 said:
    Anyone catch the cameo from USS Calister, hint.......yeah bitch!
    King of Space, bitch.
    Michelle

I don't disagree @phoenyx1023. But I'm willing to overlook to the stupidity of that final shot because the 59 minutes that preceded it were fantastically tense. I've seen the rest of the eps. Crocodile was very good. Final rankings: USS Callister, Metalhead, Crododile, Hang The DJ, Arkangel, Black Museum. 

Oh I agree it was otherwise really well done. 6th place is better said 5th runner up because I honestly liked every ep. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Episode 1 - 

Very strong. I was hooked the whole time. My only complaint is the contrivance that the guy died at the end so that he couldn't harvest their DNA and do it all over again (story-wise, that's why they wrote this). I wish they had attempted some way to discredit him IRL, but maybe that felt more contrived and better to end it quickly. 
    JoshuaHeterElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I liked the first three to varying degrees, disliked the second three to varying degrees. If I had to put them in order: 

1. USS Callister 
    2. Crocodile 
    3. Arkangel
    4. Metalhead 
    5. Black Museum 
    6. Hang the DJ
  • Of the ones I've seen so far, I'd rank them metalhead, calister, black museum. Museum could have been a little tighter, though it did have a satisfying ending. While I found Calister very entertaining, it didn't necessarily strike that uncomfortable nerve I expect from an episode of black mirror, nor did it offer anything insightful about the interplay between humanity and technology. Metal head was excellent in its simplicity. It was a pure survival story, and while it didn't feel like an episode of black mirror it was extremely well done. Everything from the music to the acting and those dogs were perfect.
    Elisab.larev
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    Calister was one of the most racist/sexist episodes of anything I had seen in a long time.  Which is ironic because I'm pretty sure they were trying to Lampoon 60's trek as racist/sexit.  
    Elisa
  • Mofojones333Mofojones333 Fort Worth, Texas
    Ok, so in metalhead the dogs were essentially guarding teddy bears? Is that correct? These ruthless killing machines guarding stuffed teddy bears? 
    Elisa
  • @Mofojones333 - I don't think they were guarding anything. I think they were hiding in the warehouse, laying in wait to attack the humans. 
    Mofojones333Elisa
  • I'm going to wath episode 3 later but wow I really enjoyed episode 2 
    JoshuaHeter
  • Reni said:
    I only watched the first one so far, I want to space it out a little and watch maybe one a day instead of binging it. I wasn't too sure about the ep at first (and based on the trailers was also the one I was least looking forward to), because it felt very Star Trek and I was never a big fan. I thought there'd be lots of references that would go way over my head. And maybe there were, but I was still pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.
    And yeah, King of Space was just the cherry on top!
    Yea I'm watching 1 a day but man I want to binge it so badly. This is the only tv show that I'd be fine with having 23 episodes 
    Not a fan of episode 2. So the stakes of having a brain implant is ... the dangers of hitchhiking? That's where the writers took that? Fucking yawn. 
  • JaimieT said:
    Not a fan of episode 2. So the stakes of having a brain implant is ... the dangers of hitchhiking? That's where the writers took that? Fucking yawn. 
    Yea I didn't like that either but loved the episode apart from that 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 1
    Just finished Hang the DJ, and it's easily my favorite of the season so far.  Two left to go and I don't think they'll top it for me.  

I love how these are all such cautionary tales, episodes where at the end you're left thinking "the lesson here is..." or "this is what can happen when/if...". 

One thing I didn't like about Crocodile is that it's so open-ended.  Yeah, the cops walked into the auditorium but there was no indication that they were there for Mia.  I'd rather have seen them arrest her or see that years later, she got off scott free, not this ambiguity that they left us with.

Edit:  So, I'm watching episode 5 now and I'm so lost as to what is going on.  I'm not getting the plot.  Why are they running from these metal demodog things?   Clearly I've missed something, or it's just a bad episode.  My least favorite of the season.
    Elisa
  • Just finished episode 3, damn girl. Damn. 
  • edited January 1
    JaimieT said:
    Well, she ran away from home, too. After she beat her mom unconscious.
    aberry89
    JaimieT said:
    Well, she ran away from home, too. After she beat her mom unconscious.

Yeah, and I didn't really see how her mom's face being blurred made that an easier thing to do. If anything, the imagination would be worse! It's not like she doesn't have a pre-existing visualization of her mom's face... or of violent imagery, now. That would have been more powerful if she didn't know what violence produced. 

It just doesn't work.

Contrast this with The Entire History of You where he's digging the implant out with a razor blade, blood everywhere, screen goes dark.

Hitchhiking. 
    kellye23