What story subject matter makes you forgive almost every flaw?

JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
edited January 2 in General
This question is inspired by my binging of Harmontown, where in episode 88 Erin McGathy notes that then-fiance Dan Harmon only needs robots/androids/machines to remain interested in the most awful of movies or TV shows. I've certainly noticed that penchant in many straight white men...

For me, it's musical numbers. Give me halfway decent musical numbers, I don't fucking care if everything else is barely taped together. I will watch and rewatch that shit. And can I buy the CD? It only works if it's classical musical numbers though... The Greatest Showman, for instance, seems a little too pop for me. 

Also mermaids and fairies. Yeah, I'll probably catch the My Little Pony movie on DVD since they turn into mermaids... God damn it. But none of these are in vogue right now, so in the meantime I'll look like I have a stick up my ass, demanding all of this high-quality entertainment. 

Galavant had a good run though...
NoobieDoozFrakkin Taberry89

Comments

• lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    I can't think of anything exactly like that, but I far prefer and am far more forgiving of foreign police TV/movies than domestic ones.  I guess it's much easier to watch them when you don't know what laws/rights the police are violating, what crime-fighting technology they really have, etc.
  • You could probably get me to watch anything if you say "It's like Groundhog's Day but with...." I'm definitely a sucker for that trope. 
    hisdudeness915Freddy
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I've always been fond of big, epic dramas - especially if they're period dramas or based on actual historic events.  Like, Titanic had a few flaws but I will continue to sit through that movie every time it's on, and I will still bawl like a baby when Jack dies.  :cry:
    NoobieDoozFrakkin TTaraC73
  • @JaimieT ;   What an interesting thread! :) I can't really think of a good answer to the actual question... other than I have noticed that I usually stay with a show, or I become a LOT more forgiving towards a movie, if there are at least 1 or 2 characters that I really connect with, emotionally. (Or can relate to, personally). So I seem to be a sucker for that... give me a couple of decent characters to "fall in love with" and I'm staying..... that seems to be the case no matter the genre, even though I do prefer a good drama above almost everything else....:smiley:

The way you talked about musical numbers really made me remember something from way back... I don't usually go for musicals, when it comes to movies... BUT, I felt sort of "ambushed" when it came to a  particular movie, "The phantom of the opera" from 2004. I remember that I had almost decided to hate it from the get-go....only, I couldn't, once I watched it... instead I ended up watching it several times. I actually found that it moved me. Perhaps especially this part:    

Oh, I also remembered just now, that it was actually the same with "Moulin Rouge". The music and the emotions of that, just overwhelmed me and beat down my defenses, in that movie aswell!        
    Now, this confession might make me a dork or something, but if so, I'm okay with that...   :smiley:
    Do you have other suggestions for great movies with musical numbers, @JaimieT, since I'm not so familiar with it at all? I realize these examples are more "Broadway/London musical" kind of stuff. But I love classical music and opera aswell, so will be thrilled about any good recommendations for "musical numbers" kind of movies.  
    JaimieT
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I’d probably say musicals too - I love a big splashy musical number.
    JaimieT
  • The walking dead by Guy ferrari 
    TaraC73
  • But maybe time travel stuff? There is stuff you can get away with especially when characters can easily get confused and events ect can. This might be a weird one but mental health issues? Not everyone knows how to deal with them so characters can have different approaches ect 
    brewsevelt
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Musicals for sure, even the worst of films can be saved with a great number or two in my opinion.

Also, you wouldn't believe the amount of absolutely GOD AWFUL movies/TV shows I have sat through for the sake of a lesbian storyline. Even worse, the shows that actively queer bait. Rizzoli and Isles comes immediately to mind!
    JaimieT
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited January 2
    It's not really a "story subject matter"  but if you have really, really well written charachters pretty much anything else can be subpar. I think writing convincing charachters with convincing characters interactions is very difficult so I'm cool if other stuff slips. 

Oh, and you me and my friend might be the only people that love Phantom 2004 :) I mean, I recognize it's flaws, but the nostalgia is big with that one. It was my first introduction to Phantom of the Opera, so I was pretty obsessed with it for a hot minute. @SandyWest79 ;
    NoobieDooz
  • edited January 2
    Dummy said:
    You could probably get me to watch anything if you say "It's like Groundhog's Day but with...." I'm definitely a sucker for that trope. 

@Dummy Do you watch Travelers (Netflix)? S2 just dropped and they have a Groundhog Day-esque ep about midway through.
  • edited January 2
    I wouldn't say it makes me forgive every flaw - if something is truly awful, I just don't put up with it anymore. But I'm weirdly fascinated and obsessed with stories that are about brothers (or mixed-gender siblings, although less so, and strangely enough I'm hardly ever engaged by sister-stories).
    Also, I'll watch just about anything that's set in a prison.
  • Mofojones333Mofojones333 Fort Worth, Texas
    For me, it has to be anything fantasy related. 
    JaimieTNoobieDooz
  • Dummy said:
    You could probably get me to watch anything if you say "It's like Groundhog's Day but with...." I'm definitely a sucker for that trope. 

@Dummy Do you watch Travelers (Netflix)? S2 just dropped and they have a Groundhog Day-esque ep about midway through.
    I've never seen it. Would I have to watch the previous episodes or can I just jump right to it? 
  • @Dummy It's definitely a watch from the very beginning show. Fwiw, it's a pretty good, so worth the binge. 
    Dummy
  • Mafia
    ReniMofojones333
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited January 3
    Do you have other suggestions for great movies with musical numbers, @JaimieT, since I'm not so familiar with it at all? I realize these examples are more "Broadway/London musical" kind of stuff. But I love classical music and opera aswell, so will be thrilled about any good recommendations for "musical numbers" kind of movies.  

Phantom of the Opera was the first musical I saw on Broadway, at age 14. :)

Oklahoma - This is a Rogers and Hammerstein classic, and one of my favorites of theirs. I feel like I'm in the minority with that, since so many people love South Pacific, The King and I and The Sound of Music. But I love the frontier American feel of it, and it has several fantastic songs that I constantly find myself singing. There might be 2 duds in the whole lineup. DON'T watch the 60s one... watch the Hugh Jackman live recording, which, HOLY SHIT THEY HAVE ON BLURAY NOW. The low-res DVD was $60+, so I stuck with the torrent. You can torrent it too; I won't tell. Looks like it's on YouTube here. The lyrics are... pristine. And the themes are progressive for their time... the need to listen to women instead of telling them what to think, for instance.

Mamma Mia - Since you specified musical numbers, I would be amiss in not mentioning this. Fuck, I don't know why I'm being shy about it: I love this musical. I dragged my family to see it when it closed at the Winter Garden Theater after about 14 years there... that energy was wild. But all of that started with me seeing the movie... again, and again, and again, and again. Mark Kermode of the BBC film review described the effect of this movie perfectly when he said it's so bad that it reverses reality and becomes strangely wonderful. His review is funny. Meryl Streep is committed and silly and having a blast. Pierce Brosnan sings and it's horrible, and I love every second of it. 

Into the Woods - This isn't a happy musical, so it might not be what you're looking for, but it's not exactly unhappy either. It deconstructs fairy tales and is post-modern in outlook. There are some awful parts (Johnny Depp as the wolf) but Emily Blunt, Chris Pine and Anna Kendrick are delightful. Meryl Streep is back again, and she holds her own, although her part is less interesting than others. This is a flawed movie version of the musical... sometimes it feels like there are too many ideas, and the 2nd "half" feels off, but I still really enjoy the songs.

Chicago - Have you seen this one already? It's totally worth the watch, if not. It's not my favorite musical ever, but it's so accessible on first viewing and absolutely riveting, with sexy dance numbers and hyper-reality set pieces. Charm turned up to 11. I saw it on Broadway and I prefer the movie.

There are many other musicals I love, but I can't recommend them as unequivocally as these. So many could use remakes! My Fair Lady, Music Man (needs a good remake), Cinderella (needs a good remake), Camelot, The King and I, etc. And the recent Les Miserables is just a mess, IMO. I don't want close-ups in my musicals; I want dance numbers and scenery and atmosphere!

NoobieDooz
    edited January 3
    @SandyWest79 ;  
    Don't forget Jesus Christ Superstar!!!  I love myself some musical fluff, but there are few actually well made and subversive and interesting musical movies. Cabaret, Chicago, West Side Story...and I think Jesus Christ Superstar ranks up there.

JCS was basically the Hamilton of the 70's, from story, to modern music, to reception by the public.  The music is my favorite of any of Lloyd Webber/Rice musical and i know that people have attachment to the original broadway album, but I prefer this film cast. You cannot, and will not beat Carl Anderson as Judas. This isn't a lush musical. It's a group of actors/singers out in the desert singing and dancing to the point of exhaustion. The sets and costumes are minimal; the atmosphere barren and raw. The performances are where the meat is. A wholly fascinating subversion of crucifixion story, putting both Jesus and Judas in the roles of two men wholly to blame and not blame for their own fate. And the music is pretty fucking increidble too. 

NoobieDooz
  • @JaimieT  @aberry89  

Wow, thanks for all your recommendations!  :smiley:
    edited January 3
    aberry89 said:
    @SandyWest79 ;  
    Don't forget Jesus Christ Superstar!!!  I love myself some musical fluff, but there are few actually well made and subversive and interesting musical movies. Cabaret, Chicago, West Side Story...and I think Jesus Christ Superstar ranks up there.

JCS was basically the Hamilton of the 70's, from story, to modern music, to reception by the public.  The music is my favorite of any of Lloyd Webber/Rice musical and i know that people have attachment to the original broadway album, but I prefer this film cast. You cannot, and will not beat Carl Anderson as Judas. This isn't a lush musical. It's a group of actors/singers out in the desert singing and dancing to the point of exhaustion. The sets and costumes are minimal; the atmosphere barren and raw. The performances are where the meat is. A wholly fascinating subversion of crucifixion story, putting both Jesus and Judas in the roles of two men wholly to blame and not blame for their own fate. And the music is pretty fucking increidble too. 

JCS is a gap for me, and it feels so "edgy" (in a boring way) given my fundamentalist upbringing. I need to get to it sometime though. 

West Side Story epitomizes the boring old-school musical, IMHO. It's so simplistic, and it draaaags, and I don't think it's aged well. It reminds me of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers... just a lot of bleh love songs (no heat like Phantom) and problematic depictions of gender and romance. Maybe a remake could save it. 

I mean, I'll watch it, and I have, I just don't find it very accessible to a modern audience. 
    "West Side Story epitomizes the boring old-school musical, IMHO. It's so simplistic, and it draaaags, and I don't think it's aged well."

My jaw is on the floor!!!  Ah well, to each their own.  Although I would say Phatom has some pretty damn problematic gender and romantic depictions - maybe some of the worst. And that was made in the 80's. 

@JaimieT ;
    edited January 3
    aberry89 said:
    Although I would say Phatom has some pretty damn problematic gender and romantic depictions - maybe some of the worst. And that was made in the 80's. 

@JaimieT ;

I agree. It's as problematic as Beauty and the Beast, but that apparently *has* aged well and I feel in the minority for implying it's problematic. It's all the rage with straight women. #lesbiansandtheirconsenthangups (Although a woman entering into a relationship with a man IS inherently dangerous -- there's a power imbalance in the area of strength -- and so I guess that's the fascination?) 

...there's just no song in West Side Story that resonates with me. 

I also think Romeo & Juliet is a snore, so adapting the plot is not gonna help much.