Best Episodes of 2017

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
edited January 3 in Other TV
this one is a bit harder imo. it's easier to put together a 'best TV show of 2017' list off the top of your head. what would you say were the top episodes of 2017?
pavlovsbellMrX

Comments

• MrXMrX CO
    edited January 3
    "Episode 8" - Twin Peaks: The Return

"Michael's Gambit" - The Good Place

"Spoils of War" - Game of Thrones

"Who Needs a Guy" - Halt and Catch Fire

"Thanksgiving" - Master of None

"Chicanery" - Better Call Saul

"Time's Arrow" - BoJack Horseman

"eps3.7_dont-delete-me.ko" - Mr. Robot

"Chapter 7" - Legion

"The Book of Nora" - The Leftovers
    phoenyx1023pavlovsbellThe_Third_ManFlukesElisahypergenesbDaveyMac
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @MrX  Those are all excellent choices (well, I'm still catching up on BoJack & HCF and didn't watch MR S3). I would add, off the top of my head:

"Offred" - The Handmaid's Tale
    "Chapter V" - Dear White People
    "Graduation" - Better Things
    "Episode 9" - The Young Pope
    "Juneteenth" - black-ish
    "Darkroom" - The Americans
    MrXphoenyx1023gguenotDeeElisahypergenesb
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited January 3
    In no particular order just trying to think off the top of my head...

8th episode of Twin Peaks The Return

"100" Fear the Walking Dead

The Spoils of War - Game of Thrones

Don't Be Ridiculous - The Leftovers

edit:  adding Chapter 7 - Legion for sure....with that silent film bit they did....excellent.  Favorite episode of that show by far. 
    MrXElisahypergenesbpavlovsbell
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 4
    "Mystery Man" - The Crown
    "Paterfamilias" - The Crown
    "Dig Dug" - Stranger Things
    "Episode 9" - The Young Pope
    "The Most Powerful Man In the World (And His Identical Twin Brother)" - The Leftovers
    "The Book of Nora" - The Leftovers
    "Memphis" - This is Us
    "The Spoils of War" - Game of Thrones
    "Lantern" - Better Call Saul

Edited to add: "Number One", "Number Two", and "Number Three" were all pretty powerful episodes of This is Us, but "Memphis" is their strongest, most emotional episode to date (and which aired in 2017).  Sterling K. Brown is an amazing actor in his own right, but when you pair him with the sheer genius that is Ron Cephas Jones the result is pure magic on screen.  If you haven't seen the show or this episode in particular, don't walk but *run* to your tv (or Hulu, or NBC online).

Ugh, I'm crying again just watching *this*.   I really think this episode is at the top of my list for Best of 2017.

phoenyx1023MrXElisahypergenesbpavlovsbell
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i gotta throw 'The Ricklantis Mixup' - Rick & Morty in the mix

DummyMrX
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Chinaski said:
    i gotta throw 'The Ricklantis Mixup' - Rick & Morty in the mix

I was hit or miss on this season of Rick and Morty...but that episode may be my favorite of the series. 
  • I would also add the finale episode of Godless. 

Such amazing cinematography and the shootout in LaBelle was so so good; Merritt Weaver and Michelle Dockery on a roof = team up of the year. And with Halt ending it was nice to get some Scoot in my life again.
  • The Last Jedi— Star Wars (episode 8)  :#
    cdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited January 4
    ^ :expressionless:
    gguenot
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Better Things: “Eulogy”

It was the most emotional I got for an episode this entire year. The final scene had me bawling. Maybe not the best episode that I saw this year, but definitely the one that affected me the most.
    hypergenesbpavlovsbell
  • Noel said:

It was the most emotional I got for an episode this entire year. The final scene had me bawling. Maybe not the best episode that I saw this year, but definitely the one that affected me the most.
    Exactly. "Eulogy" was one of the most beautiful things I saw on TV this year. Weeping. Copious tears. 
    Noelpavlovsbell
    Noel said:

Exactly. "Eulogy" was one of the most beautiful things I saw on TV this year. Weeping. Copious tears. 
    Shane, do you watch This is Us?  I haven't seen Better Things, but I think the Memphis episode that I expressed my deep love for earlier will definitely give this episode a run for its money.  Seriously, all. the. feels. and. all. the. Kleenex.
    phoenyx1023Reni
  • @Michelle @hypergenesb I can only second this. I don't think I've ever cried as much on any tv show episode ever as I did during Memphis. So much ugly crying. Like, limitless amounts of tears coming out of my eyes. I've rewatched it 2 or 3 times since and it still happens every time.
    If you don't watch the show though, I don't think it would work as a standalone episode.
    Michelle
    edited January 4
    I think it would.  I feel like they give enough information away that the viewer will understand what's going on.  They go through William's life from start to finish, as well as Randall's relationship with him, Beth's reaction, and the kids' reaction.  They pretty much let the viewer know why William and Randall have had limited time together, and who Jack is/how Jack plays a part in Randall's life.  

Ahhhh, I want to watch this episode again so badly right now.  Damn work getting in the way!  lol
    Reni
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    edited January 4
    Now I’m definitely going to watch This Is Us. I’ve always felt better after a good ugly cry every now and then.
    MichelleReni
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Thinking about this made me realise how little TV I watched in 2017 - I think I’m kind of over prestige television. The few things I did watch tended to be low key crime dramas or sitcoms from the UK. But of what I did sit through, these stood out (in no particular order): 

1. Chicanery - Better Call Saul 
    2. Episode 3.6 - Catastrophe 
    3. The Mind Flayer - Stranger Things
    4. Number One - This Is Us 

When that episode of This Is Us started I was almost ready to fast forward through it, because Kevin is my least favourite character and I have zero interest in his story, but in the end I was a crying mess and raging at other characters on the screen. It was a really powerful episode and it has stayed in my head.
    Michellephoenyx1023Renipavlovsbell
    When that episode of This Is Us started I was almost ready to fast forward through it, because Kevin is my least favourite character and I have zero interest in his story, but in the end I was a crying mess and raging at other characters on the screen. It was a really powerful episode and it has stayed in my head.
    Oh man... his ugly cry on the lawn, the football field moment with his memories of his dad... good stuff.  I think we're going to see the evolution of Kevin after this low point he hit at the end of the episode.
    phoenyx1023DeeReni
  • Michelle said:
    I think it would.  I feel like they give enough information away that the viewer will understand what's going on.  They go through William's life from start to finish, as well as Randall's relationship with him, Beth's reaction, and the kids' reaction.  They pretty much let the viewer know why William and Randall have had limited time together, and who Jack is/how Jack plays a part in Randall's life.  

Ahhhh, I want to watch this episode again so badly right now.  Damn work getting in the way!  lol
    Yes, but knowing more about the characters from before and relating to them makes everything more powerful, doesn't it? Maybe it works as a standalone, but I think the previous connection just added to the tears!

I also agree @Dee Number One has to be my other ugly crier favorite This Is Us episode.

@Noel Let me tell you this... I cried on almost every episode of This Is Us. Not always as much as on Memphis or Number One. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. Sometimes sad tears, sometimes happy tears. This show really speaks to me (and to my tear ducts).
    Michelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Reni Do you Watch Call The Midwife? I don’t think I’ve got through more than three episodes total without ugly crying. 
    edited January 4
    @Reni I totally understand what you're saying and I can agree.  The more you know about a character and have been getting emotionally involved with them, the more a storyline can affect you.  I totally get it.

I was just thinking back to the Christmas episode when they show Dr. K losing his wife and dealing with the aftermath - the solitude, sadness, how he and his kids relate to one another afterward.  That was another episode that really got me crying, just because I love that character so much and seeing senior citizens in those situations always breaks my heart.  I would have added that episode to the list, but it aired in 2016.  Technicalities.  :neutral:
  • @Dee No, I don't think I even heard of Call The Midwife! But based on a quick scroll through on the IMDb page, it looks good. I don't have kids though, so I don't know if I could relate all that much. Do you think I'd still like it if I have no experience with motherhood?

@Michelle Well, someone added a Young Pope episode to the list here, even though that aired in 2016, just not in the US. I'm sure that This Is Us episode aired in 2017 somewhere... no one will notice if you add it :D
    Michelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Reni There are a lot of babies, but the ongoing stories are more about the nuns and the midwives - none of whom have children until later on in the series. The mums and babies are generally just story of the week. 

I think it gets dismissed as “women’s television” because the main cast is 95% female and the stories are largely about birth and mothers, but it’s so good. Beautifully acted and really emotional. I’d highly recommend checking out the first couple of episodes - it sets its tone immediately so if you like the early ones you’ll like the series overall. 
    Elisa
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    throwing in 'Aporia' - Fargo in the hat

MichelleElisa
    edited January 4
    Chinaski said:
    throwing in 'Aporia' - Fargo in the hat

This past season was really strong.  I also like the episode before that where Nikki is out in the forest trying to survive and has her encounter in the bowling alley.
    ChinaskiElisa
    Noel said:
    Now I’m definitely going to watch This Is Us. I’ve always felt better after a good ugly cry every now and then.
    Be prepared.  I'm just sayin'  :cry:

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Noel said:

Yeah, it was a toss up between "Eulogy" and the finale for me. "Eulogy" swept me through so many emotions, as all Better Things episodes do and left me a bawling mess. But in the end, the finale brought together the various threads of the season and also let all the characters shine -- and the way the female characters came together in strength and love reminded me of the Big Little Lies finale -- so I chose that one. I also burst into tears when I saw the "dedicated to my daughters" title card. But "Eulogy" is an excellent choice.