Feeling really low

I'm feeling incredibly low right now and I thaught I'd just post here. I barely talk to anyone about my issues as I just don't feel worth it. If you don't want to its ok. 

Comments

• ... what's up man?
  • iMatty94 said:
     I barely talk to anyone about my issues as I just don't feel worth it. 
    Not that i don't want to talk--but i think this is your first step. Speaking to a professional can do wonders because they're trained to really know where to focus and they're able to uncover some deep foundational causes to you "feeling low".  

We can converse here and offer you some generic advice, but no amount of discussion here could offer you the benefits you can get and may need from a trained professional.

But, if its a surface level issue, I'm happy to listen/offer you some advice (although I'm not an expert).

MichelleNoobieDoozaberry89picorock80
  • Hello @iMatty94  I am sorry to see you are feeling low! Please know that there are people who care about you, and that your life and your feelings do matter. I don't have any way to say that, without it sounding as a cliche, but it is true though.

I say the same things as @gguenot said already, so wisely. Professionals such as therapists are usually the best at helping us tackle deeper issues within ourselves. 

That being said, I am a social worker in my professional life, and therefore I do not "scare easily" when people I meet talk about their problems. I have heard a lot, when it comes to sadness and problems in peoples' lives. Probably "heard it all"..  ;)  So please don't be afraid to be judged. I am here for you, if you wanna talk. I will do my best to listen and perhaps offer advice if I can. If it feels hard to talk openly in the forum, feel free to message me privately if you go go my profile, and I will gladly listen and offer whatever advice I can. 

I feel like us Bald Movers are a sort of family, so I am happy to offer support if I can, to my "family members". No matter what you choose to do in terms of seeking support @iMatty94, I hope you feel better soon!   Hugs from me. 
    gguenotMichellejleav382
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    aww cheer up bud. write a funny silly 3-5 page short story and read it back to yourself. make yourself chuckle. laugh is key. and there's always the dance of joy my friend :)

gguenotMichelleNoobieDooz
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited January 4
    Please be open to get a therapist in your life. Just knowing you have a professional you can look forward to talking to weekly or monthly can be so helpful. If you need to ease into the idea, try the online service BetterHelp.com for a trail. 

It's very affordable, private online counseling. I have had a few friends use it, and they loved it. You talk to a REAL therapist and it can get you through this bout, until you can schedule and meet with someone face to face. If you don't have the funds at the moment, google free counseling or support groups in your area, they will be there, and I promise you, you will not be judged. 

If you have bad days - that's okay, everybody does. But if the feelings carry into the next and the next, and the next, it means something more serious is happening - and no one gets better by doing nothing. I push people with proactive tough love when it comes to this subject because I have seen friends loose years of their lives to depression. It's not your fault, but you gotta do the hard shit, and hunker down and get some help. :wink: Keep going man!
    ChinaskiMichelleNoobieDoozgguenotJaimieTFlukes
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited January 4
    Also there's no shame in going straight for the meds. At least not for me. After 3-4 years of battling suicidal thoughts and everyone I knew telling me I was "strong enough" to fight it on my own, I gave up. I tried two brands before I found "the one." In 5 years now, I've had one moment of suicide contemplation, during a period of unemployment. Otherwise, poof, it's gone. And I used to think about it weekly almost. 

Sometimes our brains need their chemical soups adjusted. 
    JoshuaHeterFlukesgguenot
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    JaimieT said:
    Also there's no shame in going straight for the meds. At least not for me. After 3-4 years of battling suicidal thoughts and everyone I knew telling me I was "strong enough" to fight it on my own, I gave up. I tried two brands before I found "the one." In 5 years now, I've had one moment of suicide contemplation, during a period of unemployment. Otherwise, poof, it's gone. And I used to think about it weekly almost. 

This. If a professional thinks you would benefit from medication, don't be afraid to try it. If a doctor told you there was a problem with your liver and you needed medication to control it, you wouldn't think twice. The brain is just an organ.
    JaimieT
  • Starting a journal isn't a bad idea I have found, It allows you to get your bad thoughts onto paper and be able to look at them objectively, instead of letting them endlessly circle around in your head as they appear more real that way. You can also write down the things to be happy for and counteract those negative thoughts/emotions. It's kind of like having your own therapist and much...less..expensive I might add.
    aberry89
  • All I can say is thank you very much to everyone that has spoken to me in here. I'm seeing my counselor tomorrow and I'll see what he makes of it 
    TaraC73JoshuaHeterCodyHarris821
  • Flukes said:
    JaimieT said:

This. If a professional thinks you would benefit from medication, don't be afraid to try it. If a doctor told you there was a problem with your liver and you needed medication to control it, you wouldn't think twice. The brain is just an organ.
    I think about it daily 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    And I might be getting ahead of myself here, but someone mentioned expense... if you don't have insurance (or good insurance), which I didn't for several years, GoodRX.com can bring the price of many medications down. I got my antidepressants down to 60 cents a day using only the GoodRX coupon. This is just good advice in general for everyone, lol. 

Glad you're seeing your counselor soon.
  • @iMatty94  Am very glad to hear you got an appointment with your counselor. And I do hope you feel a bit better soon! 
  • I know that when I've really struggled with depression, I've sometimes gotten myself into asking the (ultimately irrational) question: Ugh! What have I done to get myself like this?! It's almost like I feel guilty for feeling down.

While of course there are practical and helpful steps to take to respond to and perhaps even overcome depression, it's important to remember that depression is something that happens *to* you. It's not some blameworthy fault that you have, and it's not the result of some mistake you've made. It's easy to accept that on a cognitive level, but depression has a knack for leading you to forget it. So, one of those practical steps to responding to depression is reminding yourself when you can of that very thing. 
    JaimieT