Bourbon

I feel like @Jim & @A_Ron_Hubbard have answered this exact question (potentially more than once) on lunch, but...

I'm looking for a less expensive alternative to Maker's Mark. Over the course of the new year, the savings could add up to... well, not *that* much. I'm not that much of a lush.

Any suggestions? Or, a link to where this conversation already took place?

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    gonna go out on a limb and say @Jim & @A_Ron_Hubbard are going to point you in the Jim Beam costco jug direction for a less expensive alternative
    JoshuaHeter
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited January 4
    WL Weller is a pretty good sub-$20 wheated bourbon. I think Makers, Weller, and Pappy Van Winkle all have a "shared lineage."
    JoshuaHeter
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    personally i love me some Bulleit Bourbon... sipping on some now. yay bourbon!

• MichelleMichelle California
    Alchemy Distillery, which is local to my lil' area, makes a great whiskey and a gin as well.  They are in the process of aging a bourbon and plan to bottle it in 2019.  And despite what everyone knows that Humboldt County is known for (beside the beautiful landscapes), there's no 420 in it.   :innocent:

You can check them out here.
    JoshuaHeter
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    I feel like @Jim & @A_Ron_Hubbard have answered this exact question (potentially more than once) on lunch, but...

I'm looking for a less expensive alternative to Maker's Mark. Over the course of the new year, the savings could add up to... well, not *that* much. I'm not that much of a lush.

Any suggestions? Or, a link to where this conversation already took place?
    I don’t know the prices in your market, but Bulleit is good and at least In the Oregon ABC stores it’s cheaper then makers 
    JoshuaHeter
  • Old Grand Dad is a decent lower end bourbon. You drinking it straight or in mixed drinks?
    JoshuaHeter
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Wellers was always my thing. And Weller’s 12 year is a helluva bargain.  But that price for a handle of Jim Beam is unbeatable.  I hate Jack Daniels. 
    JoshuaHeter
  • Old Grand Dad is a decent lower end bourbon. You drinking it straight or in mixed drinks?
    Straight / on rocks.
  • It's fine for shooting and you could probably get by on rocks, but it might not the smoothest. Don't think I'd sip it neat though. I guess it depends on how much bang you want for your buck. If you're really looking to maximize I think they have or Grandad 100 or just go with Wild Turkey 101, wouldn't recommend it though.
  • It's fine for shooting and you could probably get by on rocks, but it might not the smoothest. Don't think I'd sip it neat though. I guess it depends on how much bang you want for your buck. If you're really looking to maximize I think they have or Grandad 100 or just go with Wild Turkey 101, wouldn't recommend it though.
    Okay, fine. I admit it. I want to get drunk every once and a while for a fair price and with only a manageable hangover. 
    johnnytruant
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Ya know, Jim Beam was my drink for much of my 20s because I wanted to drink on a budget. But after going the route of Jameson, Makers Mark, and Jack...I tried Jim again a couple weeks back and good god. Never again.

JoshuaHeter
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    It's fine for shooting and you could probably get by on rocks, but it might not the smoothest. Don't think I'd sip it neat though. I guess it depends on how much bang you want for your buck. If you're really looking to maximize I think they have or Grandad 100 or just go with Wild Turkey 101, wouldn't recommend it though.
    Okay, fine. I admit it. I want to get drunk every once and a while for a fair price and with only a manageable hangover. 
    Baccardi clear rum is the best spirit possible for no hangover at a fair price. Get the 1.75 liter bottle 
  • Buffalo Trace is great but can randomly be hard to find. You can usually get it for less than $30, sometimes as low as $20. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    ^oh fuck yes! Buffalo trace is so nice. Also not to break your heart but follow the brand back to the distillery. Many come from the same place. Like Buffalos Trace comes from Wellers.