Game of Thrones Season 8

Get ready for a wait, GoT won't be returning until some time in 2019. Here is the press release:

Game of Thrones will return for its six-episode, eighth and final season in 2019,” HBO announced in a press release. “Directors for the new season are: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, David Nutter, and Miguel Sapochnik. Writers for the new season are: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, Bryan Cogman, and Dave Hill.”

Elisa

Comments

• NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    No Michelle MacLaren episodes? Booooooooo!
    Elisa
  • They're definitely bringing in the big guns in terms of directors.  According to IMDB Nutter is directing episodes 1, 2, and 4.  Sapochnik is labeled in IMDB with episodes 3 and 5.  It's already been stated that the double D's are directing the finale.  Cannot wait for 2019, guess I'll just have to rewatch the entire series over the long wait.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Noel said:
    No Michelle MacLaren episodes? Booooooooo!
    Her episodes were great (I love every episode of the series though), but none of them were pen-ultimate or finales. Nutter and Sapochik have slam dunked both, and relatively recently. From what I understand that's pretty much what this last season will be; just a series of pen-ultimate grade episodes and then a finale.
  • These six episodes better push 90 minutes each or I’m going to be disappointed that we had to wait a year and a half for six 60 minute episodes. 
    ElisaSandyWest79phoenyx1023
  • edited January 5
    JTKIII said:
    These six episodes better push 90 minutes each or I’m going to be disappointed that we had to wait a year and a half for six 60 minute episodes. 
    Prepare to get dissapoonted then? I don’t think they’ll each be 90 minutes. Maybe one or two at most. It seems a sound designers words got taken out of context and all of a sudden it has become a “known” that each episode will be feature length. Her words were actually “could be feature length”. On top of that HBO is probably holding off pushing it into the end of 2018 (although they technically “could”). 

Link to article where it seems the source (when SD mentioned it at CoT) of all this feature length talk came from:
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/07/game-of-thrones-season-8-feature-length-episodes

Im guessing the push to 2019 was HBOs decision to give some of their shows breathing room. They have a fairly stacked stable this year. 

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/hbo-series-2018-new-returning-shows-sharp-objects-paterno-1201910740/

If GoT came out it may steal some thunder from the shows listed in the article, especially ones going out for the final season. While I’m disappointed that we won’t get new GoT until 2019, I’m in NO rush to have it end for good (this storyline). 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, everyone said Season 7 was going to be feature length as well. People were pretty disappointed when most of them were the regular ol HBO-drama-length
  • I was hoping that the 'no new GOT until 2019' stuff I'd been hearing was just a rumour, and am bummed that it's now official.    :(

That being said, I'll just try to be optimistic, and hope that they're taking so long to make sure each episode is the best it can be.  As impatient as I am for the new episodes to come, I'd rather wait and have amazing episodes than have them come out on time and just be mediocre.
  • My guess is the wait has more to do with a ton of CGI work than anything else. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, I mean, if the last episodes were lackluster, it would suck to think "Well if they just took more time to polish things..." I feel the same way about video game releases. I am as impatient as anyone (who knows why I have a million things to on my to-play list) but I want to see the best product possible. 
  • Come on George, you can do it!
    b.larev