Comments

• Rank your seasons...

I kind of feel like 2 was better than 1 from an artistic standpoint, but for enjoyment my ranking is...

1: Season 1
    2: Season 2
    3: Season 3

Hmm, let's hope this trend turns around!
  • 2 > 1 > 3 for me, with the caveat that the back half of 3 contains some of the best episodes they've ever done.
    Melonusk
  • GrahamGraham Grand Rapids, MI
    Oh man I can't wait to see Fargo in Space. Hopefully they'll bring in zombie Billy Bob Thornton.
    Michellepicorock80
  • MichelleMichelle California
    2019 is way too far away.  I'll be missing this and Game of Thrones this year.

My season rankings are 2 - 3 - 1.
    Elisa
  • Just to add to the variety, my ranking is 1 - 3 - 2. Lots of good stuff in S2 but the Kirsten Dunst character was driving me insane.
    JaimieTmwspiak
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    No TV this year. Bald Move book club! 
    JoshuaHeterElisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    2-3-1 for me.  
    Michelle
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    Rank your seasons...

I kind of feel like 2 was better than 1 from an artistic standpoint, but for enjoyment my ranking is...

1: Season 1
    2: Season 2
    3: Season 3

Hmm, let's hope this trend turns around!
    I think 1&2 were a tie. I liked the 1979 period piece, I liked the season 1 setting in Northern Minnesota, but I think they pushed Malvos character too far down the “unstoppable evil force road” like a mass shooting at a mob headquarters? Yeah... 

season two I thought was perfect other then the Reagan in the bathroom scene, that is my fishnado, that’s the one scene I cannot let slide that season, but other then that season 2 was great and I thought looked much like the movie since the movie was a period piece set in the mid 1980s and S2 was 1979. 

Season three I was all WTF?!  by the end of it. That went full surrealism in a way I wasn’t ready to go. 
    JoshuaHeter
  • @emnofseattle yeah... I'm right there with ya. 1 & 2 were really close for me... and the "art" of the time period of 2 might put it in front. But, I was kind of checked out by the end of 3.
    @emnofseattle yeah... I'm right there with ya. 1 & 2 were really close for me... and the "art" of the time period of 2 might put it in front. But, I was kind of checked out by the end of 3.
    I liked the first episode, but I felt when I saw the date was 2010 I wouldn’t like it as much. I feel part of what made the movie so Good was the period piece setting. I was 18 in 2010 so it I didn’t feel the old timey nostalgia that even season one gave let alone the movie and S2 gave me. 

Add s in the surrealism and it got a little silly. I still enjoyed it, but I feel like it was a totally different show. I also wanted to see a solverson, even if only in passing, I really like Alison Tolman as Molly and would’ve liked to see her and Gus in it least one scene 
    JoshuaHeter
  • I almost think s03 is my favorite just on the strength of the Ray Wise scene alone. But I can't actually remember what any of the scifi/LA stuff ended up being about so maybe that's not a good sign. Hmm, I should rewatch them all.
    JaimieTElisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I have the unconventional ranking of 3 > 1 > 2.  3 and 1 are pretty close, though.
    ReniJaimieTDoubleA_Ronmwspiak
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    ^^ fuck me, that was what I nearly posted this morning but was tired of sounding so contrarian. 
  • edited January 6
    I'm still not sure where to fall on 3, even all these months later. I put it last in my ranking earlier in the thread, but the more I think about that the more it bothers me. In my mind, the front half of season 3 is (with some exceptions) the weakest that Fargo has ever been, while the back half is the strongest it's ever been. How do you rank something like that against 1 and 2, which are more consistent but don't quite reach the same highs, especially given Fishnado and the UFO didn't bother me? I really don't know.

Excited to see what Hawley does with a fourth season, though. He seemed pretty set on leaving it alone for a few years, so for him to be bringing it back so soon (relatively speaking) means he must have had a really good idea for it.
    Deeemnofseattle
  • I need to rewatch season 3. I have a suspicion it might be sneakily better than I initially thought, especially if watched over a period of a week or two. There was so much else on last spring that it was hard to give it the proper attention. It had a lot of "A Serious Man" interesting Jewish mysticism going on (which I remember @A_Ron_Hubbard digging) and that movie grew on me after I watched it a few time too.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    mine go top 3:

1. S1
    2. S3
    3. S2
    DummyHatorian
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Just rewatched season 2 maybe a month ago and I gotta say, it's easily one of the greatest seasons of television in recent memory. The UFO business may have ruined it for some (not me) but it shouldn't tarnish what the rest of the season did. I mean every episode felt like a full length movie and left me dying to watch the next one. Plus a shootout to War Pigs???? Classic. I could go on and on about memorable scenes, quotes, and characters but I'd be here all day.
     I think the most impressive thing about the season is that it was built on just a tiny bit of information from the previous season and somehow managed to flesh it out into this. 

2>1>3

not to take anything away from the last season. I thought it was great. Still some of the best stuff on tv, just took a while to get the ball rolling.

And of course the first season was amazing. At the time I thought it was a perfect season. Still holds up. 
    Excited to see what Hawley does with a fourth season, though. He seemed pretty set on leaving it alone for a few years, so for him to be bringing it back so soon (relatively speaking) means he must have had a really good idea for it.

Yeah, he wouldn't do that for a raise.
    I have the unconventional ranking of 3 > 1 > 2.  3 and 1 are pretty close, though.
    I was surprised, because with how you criticized the fishnado (which I thought was bogus too) I was sure the podcast after the bowling alley episode was going to go a totally different direction 
    I was surprised, because with how you criticized the fishnado (which I thought was bogus too) I was sure the podcast after the bowling alley episode was going to go a totally different direction 

Speaking as someone with the same rating, the bowling alley was incorporated into the plot/theme so much better, as though the writer learned from the alien mishandling. Also God/karma feels less narratively intrusive than aliens. We're more accustomed to the former. It doesn't raise any questions we haven't already pondered. 

Aliens... I mean, it's aliens.
  • I rate them 2-3-1....and I absolutely loved season 1, this is just a great show.
    Elisa
    JaimieT said:

Speaking as someone with the same rating, the bowling alley was incorporated into the plot/theme so much better, as though the writer learned from the alien mishandling. Also God/karma feels less narratively intrusive than aliens. We're more accustomed to the former. It doesn't raise any questions we haven't already pondered. 

But they didn’t really say “aliens” I mean the UFO was kind of ambiguous I thought. Early in the season they even tried to entertain that the UFO may have just been a reflection. I think an unidentified object that could have a rational explanation isn’t as much of a leap as supernatural bowling alleys 
    JaimieT said:

But they didn’t really say “aliens” I mean the UFO was kind of ambiguous I thought. Early in the season they even tried to entertain that the UFO may have just been a reflection. I think an unidentified object that could have a rational explanation isn’t as much of a leap as supernatural bowling alleys 

Sure, the existence of aliens isn't as much a leap as the existence of God. 
    Elisa
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    edited January 7
    The reason the UFO didn't bother me is that it wasn't a cheat to rescue the characters from a plot hole.  The writers believably portrayed a shoot-out of attrition where only a few characters remained, and the outcome was in doubt.

And they left the sheriff's gun just within reach.  Exclude the UFO and the pinky-trigger shot is still completely believable, so it wasn't a Deus Ex Machina that illustrated a plot hole... just a bizarre way to write the scene.
    Elisa
  • The UFO was my single favourite moment of TV that year and still ranks among my favourite moments of all time.  I say that up front to make it clear that I’m not trying to excuse or explain it away…I loved it!

But…

That episode, unlike any other episode in the series is presented as a story from a book.  We’re not impartial observers watching events unfold before us, we’re getting a recorded version of what happened narrated to us.

In order for a writer to include that story in their book, it would have to have been told to them – the source of the story had to be someone who witnessed the UFO (or had been told about the UFO) by someone who was there.

Who actually saw it that night?  Bear, Lou, Ed, Peggy and Hanzee.

Bear died, Ed died and Peggy went nuts.  Hanzee was a criminal who changed his identity and went underground, so we can reasonably eliminate them as the source of the story.  That leaves Lou.

So the 1 person who we know for sure saw the UFO and lived to tell about it was getting choked to death as he saw it.  Was it a UFO, or was he seeing the ‘light at the end of the tunnel’ as the oxygen was getting cut off from his brain and he was fighting off blacking out?

If you re-watch the scene where Ted Danson (I forget his name) asks Lou if he’s going to include the UFO in his report, it can very easily be interpreted as “I know you believe it was a UFO, but no one else saw it…maybe it would be best if you didn’t mention it?” – not suggesting a cover up, but rather expressing concern for his son in law.

I don't think it was a random decision to make this 1 episode be a story from a book - which means there must be an author, which implies subjectivity and not the same passive objectivity of the rest of the series.
    DeeMelonuskElisaaberry89
  • I'm 1-3-2. The UFO thing crippled season 2 for me
    JaimieT said:
    JaimieT said:

Sure, the existence of aliens isn't as much a leap as the existence of God. 
    I mean Regardless, the UFO was a matter of debate. The supernatural bowling alley was clearly depicted as a supernatural bowling alley. 

And I feel that the stuff with the Jewish village, and the woman in East Germany turning out to be victims of the spirit of Yuri who mysteriously change his age, was entirely unnecessary to the plot. It seemed like the only reason to include the East Germany stuff was to make it seem like Gloria was abusing authority at the end when she had english bad teeth guy in the can. I actually wrote feedback on this but sent the email a day too late, Gloria did nothing wrong, as a matter of Minnesota law English bad teeth loan shark guy murdered his crew he sent after Wrench and Nikki because of the felony murder rule, when you conspire to engage in a violent crime you are liable for all deaths that occurred so when Gloria is talking about the dead people in the warehouse she's not making anything up unlike the cop in East Germany. It all seemed very clumsy IMO 
  • And I feel that the stuff with the Jewish village, and the woman in East Germany turning out to be victims of the spirit of Yuri who mysteriously change his age, was entirely unnecessary to the plot. It seemed like the only reason to include the East Germany stuff was to make it seem like Gloria was abusing authority at the end when she had english bad teeth guy in the can. 
    I think it's more that Varga and Yuri etc... are representatives of evil that come down through the ages to test true believers.

CretanBullElisa
    And I feel that the stuff with the Jewish village, and the woman in East Germany turning out to be victims of the spirit of Yuri who mysteriously change his age, was entirely unnecessary to the plot. It seemed like the only reason to include the East Germany stuff was to make it seem like Gloria was abusing authority at the end when she had english bad teeth guy in the can. 
    I think it's more that Varga and Yuri etc... are representatives of evil that come down through the ages to test true believers.

Yeah, I felt the second half of S3 was confusing and hard to follow. I’m not big on Jewish mysticism, I don’t know any of the source material and so I can’t really see the story being made 
  • 1, 3 ..............................................................2. i really didn't like anything about season 2 except Hanzy.