Better Call Saul S4 not to air until Summer at best

Saw this today, I haven't seen any other threads about this so I thought i'd start one. I always prefer it when a production takes their time rather than try to rush out a new season, but damn I was disappointed to hear how late it was going to be this year. At least I have West World to look forward to. 

Comments

• From what I've heard from the team, it's looking like August/September. I'm assuming we'll actual date during TCAs this week. 
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    That probably works out well for BaldMove though.  I can't think of anything else I'm looking forward to that's projected to drop in that timeframe.
  • Well that sucks. A lot of my favorite shows are being pushed back. What am I supposed to do, go outside? Try again, Villigang. 
    iMatty94SandyWest79Dani
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Minkie Spiro...she seems to be new to the Villigang. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Dummy said:
    Well that sucks. A lot of my favorite shows are being pushed back. What am I supposed to do, go outside? Try again, Villigang. 
    Jigsaw puzzles?
    JoshuaHeterApril_May_JuneSandyWest79
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Jonathan Banks must have finally laid down to take a nap. Poor guy was so tuckered out, he ended up sleeping for 5 months straight.
    April_May_June
  • First it was Game  of Thrones, now Better Call Saul isn't coming out until 2019?

Man, 2018 is going to be a looooong year!    :(
    kianesc
  • First it was Game  of Thrones, now Better Call Saul isn't coming out until 2019?

Not exactly. It will be airing Aug/Sept of this year, 2018. 

@Garthgou81 - Minkie Spriro directed 3x09, "Fall"
    April_May_June

Thank you!  That's what I get for trying to post before I'd finished my first cup of coffee!  Lol
    First it was Game  of Thrones, now Better Call Saul isn't coming out until 2019?

@Garthgou81 - Minkie Spriro directed 3x09, "Fall"
    Oh I must have missed that tidbit of info! Thanks!
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline

Yes... I've left BCS. Time for something new. @chrismccaleb will handle editing and the podcast and IF it's approved and I can sked, I'll join him on remote from NYC.

— kelley dixon (@kelleydixon) January 15, 2018
    This is a bummer. 

• Frakkin T said:

Yes... I've left BCS. Time for something new. @chrismccaleb will handle editing and the podcast and IF it's approved and I can sked, I'll join him on remote from NYC.

— kelley dixon (@kelleydixon) January 15, 2018
    This is a bummer. 

Aw that does suck, she was such a great host for the podcast, kept the conversation going and asked great questions of the cast & crew. Oh yea, and she is a damn fine editor. 
    Wow, I am super surprised at that news. She always seemed to be true-blue for Villigan. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Like she said, might have just been time for a change.  Leave the nest, spread the wings, etc.  I really like her work, I think she contributed a lot to the success of the shows.  I'm curious to see how the podcast evolves with Chris leading it.
  • Looking at her twitter she's editing a feature film "The Goldfinch" starring Ansel Elgort, Sarah Paulson, and Jeffrey Wright. The novel it's based on is described as "Dickensian" so sounds like she'll get to flex her editing muscles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3864056/

She also said on Twitter no bad blood w/ the Villligang, just time for something new.
  • My 2 cents: The Goldfinch is a special opportunity for Kelley. The cinematographer on "The Goldfinch" is Roger Deakins, one of the top cinematographers and is a legend. The director John Crowley did "Brooklyn" as his last film. This is prestige, Oscar-caliber filmmaking. I think she is looking for A) validation that she belongs with this caliber of talent B) wants validation/creditials in film (eg outside the Villigang and TV biz) C) Might want a break from the grind of TV. 

Skip Macdonald, also a great editor whose been with the show forever, will still edit half the eps of BCS S4, and Chris McCaleb will do fine replacing Kelley. He’s been with the team since “Granite State” days, and has co-edited a several BCS eps, and has done some damn fine work on Narcos, Halt and Catch Fire, Fear The Walking Dead, etc. He's also co-hosted the podcast for 2 seasons. So he knows what is expected. 
    MrX
  • I love this show and although I’m sad it won’t be back until August/September I’m still excited for the seasons to come. I still say the final season will be the sequel to Breaking Bad where Jessie comes back into the picture. All the Cinnabon scenes at the beginning of each season have to be foreshadowing this. 
    Is it a safe assumption to make that the fourth season will not be the last? I feel like we would have heard something about it being the final batch of episodes by now. 
  • Is it a safe assumption to make that the fourth season will not be the last? I feel like we would have heard something about it being the final batch of episodes by now. 
    Yeah I highly doubt this season is the last unless it gets cancelled.
  • @Garthgou81 @JTKIII

I may be naively optimistic, but I feel like the ratings for Season 4 would have to be absolutely dreadful for AMC to not allow Vince and Peter to wrap up the story in a 5th and final season. 

This isn't Breaking Bad, where they have a slightly more well defined end point (getting to "Scarface"), but I'd like to think they'd allow BCS at least a 10 episode runway ahead of time to land the story. 

Who knows? Maybe they know Season 4 will be their last and they haven't announced it for some reason.
  • @JoshuaHeter i agree it'd be really surprising for AMC to cancel BCS without giving Villigan & Gould a chance to finish it in a satisfactory way. They gave Halt & Catch Fire a 5th season to wrap things up despite it not pulling in great railings, and if anything the BCS crew has way more capital with the network from Breaking Bad. And I think they would have announced of it was the last season by now ... maybe.
    JoshuaHeter
    I agree with everyone. I think the only reason a cancellation was even in question was last season they waited until the 11th hour to renew it. But yeah, it'd be criminal to cancel the show this far into the run when the finish line is within eyeshot. Its not like its a Game of Thrones and requires a comparatively high production cost. 
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited January 17
    Minimum this show will go 5 seasons. From what I've heard, a 6th season is being discussed. 
    AMC desperately needs this show to keep their network in the awards discussion/marketing. 

On the exceedingly rare event that they do leave the show early, Netflix would step up in heartbeat to finish out the show. 
  • My 2 cents: The Goldfinch is a special opportunity for Kelley. The cinematographer on "The Goldfinch" is Roger Deakins, one of the top cinematographers and is a legend. The director John Crowley did "Brooklyn" as his last film. This is prestige, Oscar-caliber filmmaking. I think she is looking for A) validation that she belongs with this caliber of talent B) wants validation/creditials in film (eg outside the Villigang and TV biz) C) Might want a break from the grind of TV. 

Skip Macdonald, also a great editor whose been with the show forever, will still edit half the eps of BCS S4, and Chris McCaleb will do fine replacing Kelley. He’s been with the team since “Granite State” days, and has co-edited a several BCS eps, and has done some damn fine work on Narcos, Halt and Catch Fire, Fear The Walking Dead, etc. He's also co-hosted the podcast for 2 seasons. So he knows what is expected. 
    Yea it would be her first feature film as lead editor, and the film could definitely get  Oscar nominations if it's done well, including for editing. I want to read the book but apparently it "is a decades-spanning tale involving many characters, there is a lot to keep track of." ... which means if it is good a large part of that is due to good editing.

Along those lines has anyone seen this video about how Star Wars was saved by masterful editing?

hypergenesb