Come "Sail Away" with Me! Friday, 1/12/2018 @ 3pm EST

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited January 12 in Gaming
Tomorrow, immediately after LWJ&A, I'll be setting sail in the simulator "Sail Away" from Charlevoix, MI to St. James Harbor, Beaver Island.  I'll be sailing in real time, but I don't know how long it will take, my guess is 4-8 hours, depending on the weather conditions. 

Come aboard at twitch.tv/baldmove.  I'll be chatting, answering questions, and drinking beer on cam throughout the afternoon and into the evening.  We may enter the harbor under cover of darkness.  Who knows!  To wrap things up, I'll do a global search for the worst weather conditions in the world and teleport my boat there for the hell of it.  Jim will be here for a bit of the beginning, and Cecily said she'd stop by.  I might phone a friend.  Again, who knows!
cdriveJovial_FalconSandyWest79KingKobraMurderbearneilfgksJTKIIIMofojones333MichelleDaveyMacand 3 others.

Comments

• How does the simulator work exactly?
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    It models real world weather conditions around the globe, you select one of 3 different boats, and you control the rudder, hoist appropriate sails, adjust the trim, etc.  You control this by selecting the various lines and pulling / winching them or letting them out, just like on a real boat.
  • What beer?  May I recommend Eliot Ness Amber Ale from Great Lakes Brewing - my current favorite, and from your neck of the woods.

Other good recommendations here
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited January 11
    Sounds cool. I’ll probably check in occasionally. You should sail into a maelstrom for the big finale. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited January 12
    Teleport into the Southern Ocean!  I’m stoked about this, not gonna lie.  I google-imaged point A and point B and got an adventure half chub.  Watched lots of video when this software was brought up during lunch.  From one newly indoctrinated boat dude to another boat dude - It’s a lot of work to have fun. If it was easy everyone would do it. Getchyr learn on!    
  • How much Styx will be involved?
  • This is so dope
    edited January 12
    Just checked the forecast, it's going to be 20-25 mph winds blowing from the NNW, which is exactly where I need to go. On the one hand, that's going to make the boat, zip right along, on the other I'm going to have to beat up tack after tack (since you can't sail straight into the wind, see below) which means it's going to be somewhat slow overall progress.

Might have to lower sails and drop anchor if it takes too long. Sailing in the dark I'd think would be super boring. I'd finish at a later date. Looking forward to it! 

SandyWest79
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard  sounds like it's gonna be a bit rough "out there".. Hope you're taking a lot of beer with you!  :smiley:
  • Please be safe 
    gjulleen
  • So what happens if you hit a storm and are tossed overboard?? Will the simulcast continue until you are found? This could be the day we lose A-Ron forever. Better pack a volleyball just in case!
    SandyWest79
    Don't spoil the plot of Dark Mirror series five! 
    That's funny, because I was thinking Commodore Perry, by Great Lakes. tom_g said:
    What beer?  May I recommend Eliot Ness Amber Ale from Great Lakes Brewing - my current favorite, and from your neck of the woods.

Other good recommendations here

• MichelleMichelle California
    Thanks @A_Ron_Hubbard, @Jim, & @Cecily - this was pretty fun!  
    darwinfeeshygguenotcdriveFlukes
  • This was a lot of fun. I was background watching so I didn't get to engage in the chat much, but it reminded me of the old google hangout lunches, which I, unfortunately, wasn't around for. That being said, missed opportunity on the "Come Sail Away" usage.
    darwinfeeshyMichellecdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    That was lots of fun and hilarious.  Very entertaining. Thanks!
    Freddy
  • Yep - would do that again if my schedule allowed. 
    FreddycdriveFlukes
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    How far did you make it before dropping anchor?
    Southern tip of Beaver Island. A bit more than halfway. Then I hit up Cali, then I teleported to the worst storm in the planet currently, then I teleported to New Zealand and dropped anchor. 
    Freddy
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    This was a lot of fun to watch. I said it at the absolute end but I now want to watch A.Ron play lots of other simulation games. We can have Farmer A.Ron, Trucker A.Ron, Train Conductor A.Ron....the possibilities are endless!
    SandyWest79FlukesMichelleMofojones333Melonusk
  • This was a lot of fun to watch. I said it at the absolute end but I now want to watch A.Ron play lots of other simulation games. We can have Farmer A.Ron, Trucker A.Ron, Train Conductor A.Ron....the possibilities are endless!

MurderbearSandyWest79MichelleA_Ron_HubbardMofojones333Melonusk
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Exactly! Ha!
    Watching the second half of the voyage now. What an awesome podcast/stream.

@A_Ron_Hubbard A Game of Thrones book featuring my favorite GoT authority? Shut up and take my money.

On a related note, has @Jim ever threw around the idea of writing? If Bald Move ever goes belly up, I'd bet money that Jim could make a career as a TV comedy writer.
    Mofojones333
    This was a lot of fun to watch. I said it at the absolute end but I now want to watch A.Ron play lots of other simulation games. We can have Farmer A.Ron, Trucker A.Ron, Train Conductor A.Ron....the possibilities are endless!
    Got me looking up simulator games that would fit the format. Fuck me, if there isn't a casual sim game for every thankless job out there.

If they ever launch a City Bus with Cincinatti in it, well... let's just say I'll be sure to bring exact change.
    MurderbearSandyWest79MichelleMofojones333Flukes
  • Apparently Germans are the masters of simulator games.

But what I really want is a simulator game that gives us the option to join in as passengers and the guys could take us on epic road trips. I know that a "passenger simulator" doesn't sound like the most exciting of things... but hey, I did watch Aron for like 4 hours sail a virtual boat, so I doubt it'd be any less exciting than that!
    Flukes
  • Is there a way to see it after it’s live?
    Freddy
    gjulleen said:
    Is there a way to see it after it’s live?
    Oh yeah. The whole thing is on twitch. Link on the right that says videos. 
  • I watched all four hours in the background yesterday. It was really fun, I hope you do something similar again soon :-)
  • This was awesome, can't wait for the next one. 
  • I sorta liked the music too, I thought it would get irritating, but I enjoyed it. 
    Mofojones333