Leah Remini investigating “cult like” religions on A&E

Comments

• So is she going to be covering every religion?
    tom_gbudesigns
  • KingKobra said:
    @jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard

If you were given a call, would you consider appearing? Lots of downsides, I would imagine. Who needs that hassle? Upside... publicity(??)
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Not at all, I'm thinking of reaching out.  It's probably too late and I don't know if I have unique insights anyway, but I'm really glad people are shining the light on abusive cults.
    DoubleA_RonKingKobraJoshuaHeter
  • A. Ron - You should totally reach out. You are a master storyteller and a media professional. As someone with hours in front of the microphone, your experience shows. Think about the quality of the Paul Haggis interview versus some of the everyday folks. You could deliver the goods in a professional manner.

JoshuaHeterDoubleA_Ron
    Well, I did it.  I private messaged every social media account I could find connected to Leah and the documentary.  We'll see what happens. If anyone has better contacts I'd try that if I haven't heard anything in a few days.
    JoshuaHeterKingKobraGredalBeeJaimieTDoubleA_RonAll the Chickens
  • Well, I did it.  I private messaged every social media account I could find connected to Leah and the documentary.  We'll see what happens. If anyone has better contacts I'd try that if I haven't heard anything in a few days.
    Or if you “disappear” we know who to look for...
    GredalBeerhcoop
    Ha! I'd like to see them try. They don't have that kind of muscle! They don't have Tom Cruise muscle. They don't even have crazy guy following you around with a camera 24x7 muscle. Once you get past their "we can take your whole friend and family circle away from you" play,  which admittedly is an incredibly strong play, they ain't got shit. 
    JoshuaHeterKingKobraFlukes
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited January 16
    Ha! I'd like to see them try. They don't have that kind of muscle! They don't have Tom Cruise muscle. They don't even have crazy guy following you around with a camera 24x7 muscle. Once you get past their "we can take your whole friend and family circle away from you" play,  which admittedly is an incredibly strong play, they ain't got shit. 
    If by some remote chance they were able to drag you and/or Jim underground... I'm confident the Bald Move Army would spring into action. We'd find you and have you back in your podcasting chair within 48 hours. Because... as the forums have shown this month... that seems to be about the longest we can go without new content.
    hisdudeness915
  • amhatchamhatch Wisco
    Update: It seems it's been given the go-ahead. @A_Ron_Hubbard did you ever hear anything?

https://pagesix.com/2018/05/23/leah-remini-to-tackle-jehovahs-witnesses-in-new-special/
    KingKobra
    I messaged, but never got a response... I'm really interested in the project tho...
    KingKobra
  • Will Mike Rinder be in it? He was in the Scientology one with Leah Remini.

I used to listen to a podcast where this social engineer would find complaints costumers had written about Comcast on social media and he would somehow get their phone numbers then prank call them pretending he was with Comcast and just have a little fun saying whacky things. 

Anyways one day when he was doing that and  he accidentally got ahold of Mike Rinder himself without realizing who he was. Then when he figured it out he got all starstruck and Mike was actually really cool about it and even went on his podcast for a interview a couple weeks later. 

Try Rinder if all else fails. If he’s willing to do a podcast for a guy who pranked called him in the middle of the night and cursed him out maybe he would be willing to help. Especially since he’s well connected to Remini.
    DoubleA_RonFlukes
  • amhatchamhatch Wisco
    I also just saw promos for and Elizabeth Vargas special on A&E on people who have left JW. I wonder if its the same project? Apparently she has left ABC and has a contract with A&E to do docs there now. Maybe attempt to contact Vargas or someone on her team. I'd think she was easier to get in touch with as she's a journalist. 

I also wanted to point out that I had totally forgotten about the time my widowed, lonely, very poor, strict Roman Catholic grandmother in the beginnings of dementia let a group of JW into her home as a kindness. We eventually found out they were regularly coming over to get money for donations, and she renounced her Catholicism. She had no idea what she was doing, and they didn't care. 

Or my JW great-aunt who will only openly care for one of her grandchildren, and not the other because only one of her children was ex-communicated and left with two fingers up, and the other just quietly left, so therefore she is "allowed" to watch her. 

My single mother with four children was routinely hounded by the same group of people week after week, who came over every weekend while I was growing up. We were told that we had been "referred"to them for saving, but we usually politely accepted the newsletter and said no thank you. Then last month, out of nowhere, a car full of them pulled up at my house, rang twice (I hid), and left without visiting anyone else on the block, but left the pamphlet. Does this mean I'm on a list now? 

Sorry for the long rant.

Let's just say I'm invested in the attention the JW is getting now, and will watch whatever comes out. 
    JoshuaHeter
    Yes, you are on a list. Somebody has filled a request for information form out for your address. If it was them working territory, they would have canvassed the whole street. They probably will try another time or two then forget about it if you keep hiding.

You could also answer the door and insist on being out on their do not call list. That's the long term solution to the problem. It's my impression that over all the house to house work is being phased out in favor of other forms of witnessing. Probably a slow phase out though, and more so for urban centers than rural.
    KingKobra
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited June 5
    I hope they do an episode about pyramid schemes. I've spent more time than I care to admit on youtube watching MLM award videos. 
    JaimieThisdudeness915
  • amhatchamhatch Wisco
    edited June 5
    Freddy said:
    I hope they do an episode about pyramid schemes. I've spent more time than I care to admit on youtube watching MLM award videos. 
    My sister was sucked into Isagenix and was thisclose to quitting her 14 year career as an RN. Isagenix burned through her hospital staff like a wildfire, staring with one nurse who successfully lost 50 lbs in two months. This woman was able to quit her job and make more than $150k a year "working maybe two hours a day" (which is the biggest lie because you're constantly networking). So she basically exploited her coworkers and peaced out. She is now coined an "Isa-Millionaire" because she has earned over a million dollars since becoming a consultant. 

I couldn't go anywhere with my sister b/c it was embarrassing, as I could see her gears turning waiting to pounce with her sales pitches. She spent thousands on "tax-deductible" vacations to their "celebrations" where she was further brainwashed. Our family sat back in awe, while she said she'd never felt happier or more fulfilled, and that it has saved her marriage.

What she failed to realize is there are plenty of women's networks, gyms, groups, yoga studios, etc where she could get the same "sisterhood" without having to meet a sales quotas. She was signing up family members for fake accounts and ordering and paying herself so she could hit the next levels. 

Two years later my sister thankfully chose to stay employed, the original woman has gained all her weight back. I do actually like the shakes and bring them when we camp or go to festivals for a quick meal replacement. My sister still sells it to a few still loyal people only because why not, but recently had a baby so her priorities lie there. She doesn't actively sell or participate any longer. The spell was broken without any major damage besides some overstock of product in her basement, but it could have been much, much worse. 
    JaimieT
  • amhatchamhatch Wisco
    Yes, you are on a list. Somebody has filled a request for information form out for your address. If it was them working territory, they would have canvassed the whole street. They probably will try another time or two then forget about it if you keep hiding.

You could also answer the door and insist on being out on their do not call list. That's the long term solution to the problem. It's my impression that over all the house to house work is being phased out in favor of other forms of witnessing. Probably a slow phase out though, and more so for urban centers than rural.
    Good to know I'm on a list and pissed as hell I don't know who thinks I'd even be the slightest bit receptive to this. I'm a "recovering Catholic" who practices yoga and is dabbling in Buddhism, Ayurveda, and Reiki. WTF?!

If they come over again I will be very polite and answer the door and ask to be removed. I actually enjoy discovering other religions and conversations on people's faith, but I have no time for a cult. 
  • My brother and I were latchkey kids and multiple times JW's came to our door when our parents weren't home and, when one of us answered the door (10 and 13 to like 13 and 16), would try and pitch us on the cult without even asking if our parents were home or saying they would come back when they were. Looking back, holy fuck was that scummy. 
  • I don't remember which group this was affiliated with but:

When I was about 10, this lady (there may have been a couple more with her, I just remember how pushy she was), said she wanted to give me a book that would save me.  She also tried to give me a bible, but I told her I had one.

Easy out, for a 10 year old, "I don't have any money."  That's fine!  She would leave it with me to read and I could pay her when she came back.  If I didn't like it, I could give it back and not have to pay.  I tried to say no, but she was very pushy and wouldn't accept no.  I was almost near tears, because I generally didn't say no to adults, and she was making me feel very guilty about not being willing to read something that she was trying to help me with.  And she came all that way to try and help me.  And it was cold out, couldn't I take the book and look at it, so she could go on to the next house already?

So, eventually my 10-year old politeness overwhelmed my unwillingness to accept the book, and I finally took it.  

I was afraid to try and give it back to her, because she had been so sure that "a nice girl" would want to keep it and would find the $10. I mean, she overwhelmed me with her prediction that any "good little girl" would beg to keep the book, and I wasn't some nasty little trash like some other girls who wouldn't be able to get through it.

So I put it in a bag, with a note, and left it on the porch.  When she came I would not answer the door.  She left a note with the book saying she would come back for payment later.

This cat and mouse went back and forth for almost 2 weeks, I told my dad, and he got angry that she was harassing me.  My dad is super mellow and isn't the angry type, but apparently making his daughter cry because she would go to hell if she didn't find $10 for a book pissed him off.  He went out to meet her the next time she showed up and she accused me of stealing the book (which was still in mint condition, it stressed me out to even look at the stupid thing so I never cracked the cover).  He walked her out to the sign that said "No Soliciting" leading up to our door.

She said it didn't apply to church organizations, because they didn't "solicit."  He threatened to call the police and let them sort out the trespassing, soliciting, and harassment of a minor.  She left in a huff with the book.

It actually led to a good discussion between my dad and me about saying "no."  He said that I could always say no if I was uncomfortable in a situation, and if anyone made me feel that bad about it that it was a good indication that 'no' was the right answer.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    amhatch said:
    Freddy said:
    My sister was sucked into Isagenix and was thisclose to quitting her 14 year career as an RN. Isagenix burned through her hospital staff like a wildfire, staring with one nurse who successfully lost 50 lbs in two months. This woman was able to quit her job and make more than $150k a year "working maybe two hours a day" (which is the biggest lie because you're constantly networking). So she basically exploited her coworkers and peaced out. She is now coined an "Isa-Millionaire" because she has earned over a million dollars since becoming a consultant. 

I couldn't go anywhere with my sister b/c it was embarrassing, as I could see her gears turning waiting to pounce with her sales pitches. She spent thousands on "tax-deductible" vacations to their "celebrations" where she was further brainwashed. Our family sat back in awe, while she said she'd never felt happier or more fulfilled, and that it has saved her marriage.

What she failed to realize is there are plenty of women's networks, gyms, groups, yoga studios, etc where she could get the same "sisterhood" without having to meet a sales quotas. She was signing up family members for fake accounts and ordering and paying herself so she could hit the next levels. 

Two years later my sister thankfully chose to stay employed, the original woman has gained all her weight back. I do actually like the shakes and bring them when we camp or go to festivals for a quick meal replacement. My sister still sells it to a few still loyal people only because why not, but recently had a baby so her priorities lie there. She doesn't actively sell or participate any longer. The spell was broken without any major damage besides some overstock of product in her basement, but it could have been much, much worse. 
    I used to work with a woman who had a falling out with her sister because the sister got into some vitamin MLM thing and wouldn’t stop going on about it and constantly trying to sign up her family at every get-together. At the time I thought this woman just sounded a bit bonkers, I had no idea there were so many people sucked into these shopping cults. 
  • amhatchamhatch Wisco
    gjulleen said:
    I don't remember which group this was affiliated with but:

When I was about 10, this lady (there may have been a couple more with her, I just remember how pushy she was), said she wanted to give me a book that would save me.  She also tried to give me a bible, but I told her I had one.

Easy out, for a 10 year old, "I don't have any money."  That's fine!  She would leave it with me to read and I could pay her when she came back.  If I didn't like it, I could give it back and not have to pay.  I tried to say no, but she was very pushy and wouldn't accept no.  I was almost near tears, because I generally didn't say no to adults, and she was making me feel very guilty about not being willing to read something that she was trying to help me with.  And she came all that way to try and help me.  And it was cold out, couldn't I take the book and look at it, so she could go on to the next house already?

So, eventually my 10-year old politeness overwhelmed my unwillingness to accept the book, and I finally took it.  

I was afraid to try and give it back to her, because she had been so sure that "a nice girl" would want to keep it and would find the $10. I mean, she overwhelmed me with her prediction that any "good little girl" would beg to keep the book, and I wasn't some nasty little trash like some other girls who wouldn't be able to get through it.

So I put it in a bag, with a note, and left it on the porch.  When she came I would not answer the door.  She left a note with the book saying she would come back for payment later.

This cat and mouse went back and forth for almost 2 weeks, I told my dad, and he got angry that she was harassing me.  My dad is super mellow and isn't the angry type, but apparently making his daughter cry because she would go to hell if she didn't find $10 for a book pissed him off.  He went out to meet her the next time she showed up and she accused me of stealing the book (which was still in mint condition, it stressed me out to even look at the stupid thing so I never cracked the cover).  He walked her out to the sign that said "No Soliciting" leading up to our door.

She said it didn't apply to church organizations, because they didn't "solicit."  He threatened to call the police and let them sort out the trespassing, soliciting, and harassment of a minor.  She left in a huff with the book.

It actually led to a good discussion between my dad and me about saying "no."  He said that I could always say no if I was uncomfortable in a situation, and if anyone made me feel that bad about it that it was a good indication that 'no' was the right answer.
    What a perfect ending to this story. You're lucky to have had such a dedicated dad for emotional support. It's funny to look back at the now "simple" problems that used to torture us as children. 
    gjulleen
  • amhatchamhatch Wisco
    Dee said:
    I used to work with a woman who had a falling out with her sister because the sister got into some vitamin MLM thing and wouldn’t stop going on about it and constantly trying to sign up her family at every get-together. At the time I thought this woman just sounded a bit bonkers, I had no idea there were so many people sucked into these shopping cults. 
    I've seen it time and time again with people I know. Younique, Rodan and Fields, It Works, Norwex, Papparazzi, Lularoe, etc. Your social media gets blasted, friendships turn awkward, and you feel anxious. 

I see the same common theme with each person who falls for these schemes: lonely women with self esteem issues are "chosen" by successful, beautiful women to be their "proteges". These women "see something" in them, and build them up by saying "I used to be just like you. And look at me now, just from working a few hours a day having conversations with people!". They have rallies and meetings, weekly meetups and video conferences that seem like confidence boosting/therapy sessions, but they're actually brainwashing them by making it seem as though their perceived happiness and sisterhood is tied to the product.

When my sister was in the thick of it, she tried convincing me in a roundabout way to quit grad school and dive into Isagenix, and kind of shamed me into not taking opportunities to sell to people. Needless to say I didn't listen.