Comments

• Holy shit...

Too little, too late IMO.  Wonder what Chandler Riggs thinks?
  • This is a very misleading article title. He's not 'out' or 'removed'. He's "being bumped up to a newly created Chief Content Officer of all things ‘Walking Dead’." Looks to me like he's still in control, and in control of more things including FTWD. I doubt it'll change anything.
    Jovial_FalconGredalBeeSonja121187
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited January 13
    Yeah it seems like Gimple is in fact being rewarded for his shitty yes man behavior. Besides as long as AMC execs are still in charge nothing will change. 
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Maybe there will be more breathing room for writers/directors to do what good they can with the little money they are given if more of Gimple's time is taken up with "vision" and "synergy".  I'm not holding my breath, though.  With iZombie season 3 a disappointment and Z Nation season 4 weak, The Good Place has been the best Dead People Walking Around show on TV.
  • lengmo said:
    Maybe there will be more breathing room for writers/directors to do what good they can with the little money they are given if more of Gimple's time is taken up with "vision" and "synergy".  I'm not holding my breath, though.  With iZombie season 3 a disappointment and Z Nation season 4 weak, The Good Place has been the best Dead People Walking Around show on TV.
    Season 4 was fun and good as was season 3 but both seasons failed to have plot for some reason 
  • Yeah, this seems like a promotion.  I wouldn't reward Gimple for letting TV's biggest audience slip away but I guess I'm not an AMC exec.
    Jovial_Falcongguenotdarthcaedus1138hisdudeness915MichelleTravis
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I’ve seen this before. Sometimes you “promote” someone to get them the fuck out of the way.  I’d hope that is the case here, but I’m reminded how much I don’t care anymore.  Looks like poor Angela is going to be left holding the bag. 
    TravisamhatchMofojones333
  • This reminds me of when you have a losing GM in sports. You have to get them out of the day to day running of things, but they've been with the organization for a while, and have a good relationship with the owner so they get promoted to a cushy front-end job. But the problem is systemic, cause they keep promoting from within and things never get better.
    Cory
  • I'm totally hoping that this is a promote out of the way situation. I've seen it happen in lots of companies. The real tell will be how long Gimple hangs around in the new post.

Not sure if it's too late to right the ship... 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I'd love to see her real from the ground up. Recast, time jump, go for strict adherence to the comics. I'd even accept a recon of Carl's death. I'm willing to swallow a lot of bullshit to put the show on the right path.

Did he get booted from Fear too? 
    JJ78Spookycat4lengmoMichelleMofojones333
  • edited January 14
    @A_Ron_Hubbard He was never going to be the showrunner of Fear - he's joining as an executive producer only, which in retrospect was the first step towards this "Chief Content Officer" business. The actual new showrunners of Fear are Andrew Chambliss and Ian B. Goldberg, who until now were best known for working together on Once Upon a Time.
  • Gimple being promoted to Chief Content Officer is hilarious. AMC is beyond tone deaf. What’s next...

- The Cleveland Browns prompting Hue Jackson to General Manager after going 0-16 this year?

- Harvey Weinstein winning Peoples Sexiest Man Of The Year

- Grown Ups 3 being green lighted

- Kevin Spacey hosting the Oscars

• Unless "Angela Kang" is a Caesar Cypher for "Guy Ferrari", hard nope on all this noise.
    lengmobrewseveltFlukes
  • I'd love to see her real from the ground up. Recast, time jump, go for strict adherence to the comics. I'd even accept a recon of Carl's death. I'm willing to swallow a lot of bullshit to put the show on the right path.

Did he get booted from Fear too? 
    Lord knows, she can't do much worse. Maybe, she'll stop all the gimmicks, they suck at (fake deaths, time jumps, and cliffhangers to name a few) and just tell a compelling story.
    MichelleMofojones333
  • So I take it as she'll start her new role at season 9 - therefore the next 8 episodes will still 
    be the Gimple era ?

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I believe so. This next half season is already done so it will still be 100% full of Gimply Goodness.
  • Hey Angela Kang, Scott Gimple, Bobby Kirkman...I mean come on...we all know who's really running the show.
  • I'm glad no one has yet said:

"Don't blame me - I voted for Kodos!"
    Murderbear
  • At the very least I will be checking this out, even with all the bullshit leading up to it. Any change in this show's direction I think will be good. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I'm definitely on the train until it wrecks for good.  I'm being cautiously hopeful.
  • I suppose this is a tired topic, but I've never understood why Gimple takes the full weight of the blame.  I mean, during his time as showrunner he oversaw the rise and peak of the show's popularity, and ratings really didn't start tanking until the latter half of season 6 (precipitously so after the season 7 premiere).  In my opinion, Negan is the real problem.  It's a weak-ass, aggravating character who NOBODY thinks is as cool as Robert Kirkman seems to want us to believe,  and the Saviors storyline in general quickly became tiresome and stale, re-treading thematic ground covered by the governor storyline.  The death of Glenn is where I lost interest in the comic, and I wasn't surprised when the viewership of the show responded similarly.  So, sadly, while I think Gimple could have redirected or "righted the ship," so to speak, I'm afraid the problems with this show go much deeper than the showrunner and stem from the source material kind of sputtering around this same storyline. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    The comic was never an incredibly deep comic. It was visceral, the dialogue was stilted, and you had storylines repeat themselves. So I am not really surprised that they can't figure out more to do with the story. And maybe that is why a new cast/setting are what is needed. Either way, I am not sure the creative team has the chops or interest in creating a subversive, intellectually stimulating zombie-apocalypse story. 
  • What I'd like to see is less of an emphasis on zombies and warlord-types.  The show, at this point, should be about building a new society.  It's obviously where the story is headed, with Negan being like yet another roadblock preventing the productive unification of independent communities, but the dumbass show is taking too long to get there, and losing viewers with this cyclical morality tale of endless conflict against increasingly sadistic villains.  I was telling my sister last night that it's not unusual for a show to center on politics, and be engaging and successful.  There's enough drama just in that.  Walking Dead should be a show about post apocalyptic politics with zombies in the background.
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    ken hale said:
    Walking Dead should be a show about post apocalyptic politics with zombies in the background.
    I think the comic really missed a trick.  The bad group after Negan could have set up a long arc about different ways of living in the ZA, tensions between them and Rick's groups, and the inevitable cold war turning hot. Could have run tens of issues in the comic or multiple seasons on the show.  But if the people running the show can't pull off the Saviors there's no way they could manage such a feat.
  • edited March 1
    Has any show ever got this much mileage out of a great pilot???

I've been watching since the beginning, and I think after this week's episode, I'm finally done. I went back and listened to the S1 and S2 podcasts for the show...from the very first Watching Dead podcast (ep 201), @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard are talking about being out on the show. It's dated 10/18/2011!!!! I can't believe I've wasted this much time watching a show that the creators have just used as a cash cow.

I'll keep listening to the podcasts bc I find them entertaining, but I hope at some point they shift their attention to a more deserving show.
  • ShumShum Utah
    Did anyone catch Kirkman on Harmontown yet?  Not as many interesting revelations as I expected. He did admit to encouraging Kirkman remixes, and he talked about the graphic novel quite a bit.  I was hoping we would get some dirt on the show, but I guess he's still to heavily involved for us to expect a tell all at this point.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    ken hale said:
    I suppose this is a tired topic, but I've never understood why Gimple takes the full weight of the blame.  I mean, during his time as showrunner he oversaw the rise and peak of the show's popularity, and ratings really didn't start tanking until the latter half of season 6 (precipitously so after the season 7 premiere).  In my opinion, Negan is the real problem.  It's a weak-ass, aggravating character who NOBODY thinks is as cool as Robert Kirkman seems to want us to believe,  and the Saviors storyline in general quickly became tiresome and stale, re-treading thematic ground covered by the governor storyline.  The death of Glenn is where I lost interest in the comic, and I wasn't surprised when the viewership of the show responded similarly.  So, sadly, while I think Gimple could have redirected or "righted the ship," so to speak, I'm afraid the problems with this show go much deeper than the showrunner and stem from the source material kind of sputtering around this same storyline. 
    While part of that may be true, there is also the regurgitated plotlines and direction, and things like the faces montages we saw repeatedly in the back half of the first part of this season.  The garbage people and their ridiculous language and behavior.  Turning badass Carol into "thou shalt not kill" Carol, which lost them a lot of possible kickass scenes, then slowly pulling her back around.  The consistent Morgalizing.   You can't blame this stuff on Negan.

Like I said, I'm staying on the train until it wrecks for good, mostly out of curiosity but also because I'm not totally hating it as much as others - *yet*.  it's like 60% for me right now, and I thought this last episode was somewhat good (although it did have a few flaws, like the flashing back to Morgan in the middle of an emotional moment with Carl and Rick).  I'm sure I'll be hate watching it at some point in the near future though if Angela Kang doesn't do anything to correct the wrongs that Gimple has done, or does something to screw it up even further.  
    ken hale
  • Haha I needed you to remind me of all the questionable stuff that's gone on during his run.  I'm now convinced that the Gimple backlash was rightfully building for some time, as opposed to being an immediate response to one particular storyline.